Lots of anglers stranded on mil lacs

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
short is 100% right idiots need to look at the weather and if you are going make sure your in it for the long haul. It is no different than the hippys that go hiking and then get stranded on the mountain with a wind breaker and granola bar and call sars to rescue them
A granola bar... Lol. Is that why they call them granolas??

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot]“They fished until Sunday night and then they started calling us because they thought they basically could just call and say, ‘Hey, I’m 6 miles out on the lake, I’m ready to go home, come plow my truck out,’” Guida said.

Typical SMH[/FONT]

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree no common sense period anymore. fish more important then your life and health??? Apparently in MN it is.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
No way I would have been way out on LOW with a wind forecast like that. Dumb

this

I was on big windy for the first time - but with a group of seasoned veterans

an honestly unforecasted squall came through mid-afternoon (ground white-out) and it was all we could do to get things broke down and head for safety

I had to lead the group off (3 or 4 sleds/wheelers) because another better GPS system had crapped out and another guy with a decent unit had split off with two kids and was having his own issues and finding him was impossible - no phone service so no idea where he was.

I had a POS tiny Lowrance H20 - the mapping part was impossibly small and visibility sucked. So I set it on "compass" and we eventually hit shore close to the original access. I was so damn stressed out knowing that little battery powered POS was the key.

We waited an hour as it got dark and the other guy came limping in on a half-running sled - thank God. He had broke a belt and the replacement on the borrowed sled was wrong size. So he had put the kids in a shelter and somehow battled through it and got that wrong size belt on anyway.

I will never ever ever be on a lake in white-out again if I can help it. That afternoon had a really crappy feeling about it.

We tried to laugh it off at the bar later but everybody was uncharacteristically quiet if you know what I mean. It's called dread... and you don't shake that feeling quickly. I still get a sick feeling if I put myself back there intensely.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
this

I was on big windy for the first time - but with a group of seasoned veterans

an honestly unforecasted squall came through mid-afternoon (ground white-out) and it was all we could do to get things broke down and head for safety

I had to lead the group off (3 or 4 sleds/wheelers) because another better GPS system had crapped out and another guy with a decent unit had split off with two kids and was having his own issues and finding him was impossible - no phone service so no idea where he was.

I had a POS tiny Lowrance H20 - the mapping part was impossibly small and visibility sucked. So I set it on "compass" and we hit close to the access. I was so damn stressed out knowing that little battery powered POS was the key.

We waited an hour as it got dark and the other guy came limping in on a half-running sled - thank God. He had broke a belt and the replacement on the borrowed sled was wrong size. So he had put the kids in a shelter and somehow battled but got the wrong size belt on anyway.

I will never ever ever be on a lake in white-out again if I can help it. That afternoon had a really crappy feeling about it.

We tried to laugh it off at the bar later but everybody was uncharacteristically quiet if you know what I mean. It's called dread... and you don't shake that feeling quickly. I still get a sick feeling if I put myself back there intensely.

I was in two of those up on ‘peg. Thankfully I had two gps units and one I plotted trails. Followed trail back with about 10 feet of visability.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I followed my crappy trail (the size of a postage stamp) for a while - but kept coasting right non-stop (no idea why - vertigo type affect)

Finally took a bearing when I knew I had followed a straight section of old trail for a bit - and switched over to the big compass shape screen mode.

Helmet with heated visor was a savior and a curse - not exactly great vision. But could have been fogging up so could have been worse.

Yeesh I hate that memory.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big windy makes her own weather many times. I was in a cabbed track vehicle so most routes were possible. Being 20+ miles out in a wheelhouse and a pickup with ONE road that drifts in easily would make a guy think highly of self-preservation. Good thing they have a hell of a Resort crew to help people up there.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84