New State record

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL, there were plenty of Minnetucky licensed boats out there last week. I am more worried about whatever ANS they would bring with them than the fish they take home.

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard of this one and a 14Lb caught this spring.. has there been many more in the 10+ range caught this spring?

Many

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else see the video going around of the jig getting yanked out of its back in the net?

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vollmer: give Mr. Volk “King of Walleyes” title on his account? That would be awesome...

Or maybe, “Master of bait”

So he would be the " Master Baiter" then?

- - - Updated - - -

Many

- - - Updated - - -[/;:;popcorn:;:stirthepotSIZE]

Anyone else see the video going around of the jig getting yanked out of its back in the net?

I just got it sent to me

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
That video is sure making me think. It sure looks like a jig was pulled from the back of the fish.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
That video isn't the greatest quality, but if you look closely when he pulls on the jig it sure looks like the fish lifts up in the net. A lot of people are saying it was just stuck in the net, but to me it looks like it was buried in the back of the fish... If it's legit, congrats to the guy, I'm skeptical though... One thing that concerns me about the video is the fish in the net doesn't, in my eye, appear to be big enough to be the record breaking fish... maybe I'm wrong...

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
That video isn't the greatest quality, but if you look closely when he pulls on the jig it sure looks like the fish lifts up in the net. A lot of people are saying it was just stuck in the net, but to me it looks like it was buried in the back of the fish... If it's legit, congrats to the guy, I'm skeptical though... One thing that concerns me about the video is the fish in the net doesn't, in my eye, appear to be big enough to be the record breaking fish... maybe I'm wrong...

Definitely could be the net. Now one would think if he was trying hide the fact that it was snagged it would be quite odd for that same person to post a video of the hook removal. And another oddity although no way to conclusively tell exactly where it was but as lightly hooked as it appeared to be with as quickly and effortlessly as he pulled it out if it was in the fish in that part of the back you would almost always tear the hook out during the fight on a good-sized fish and especially if you're fighting something as big as 16 pounds 9 ounces.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely could be the net. Now one would think if he was trying hide the fact that it was snagged it would be quite odd for that same person to post a video of the hook removal. And another oddity although no way to conclusively tell exactly where it was but as lightly hooked as it appeared to be with as quickly and effortlessly as he pulled it out if it was in the fish in that part of the back you would almost always tear the hook out during the fight on a good-sized fish and especially if you're fighting something as big as 16 pounds 9 ounces.

the guy who caught the fish isn't the guy that posted it. another guy that was down there fishing in the same area posted the video.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would think gnf officials would be able to tell if it was foul hooked or not. (or full of split shot:;:)

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t know I unhooked a lot of snagged fish there and had a lot of them come unhooked themselves once they got in the current it doesn’t take much to pop that hook out, a simple lie detector for the net man and record holder may unmuddy the muddied waters of the heart before we have another controversial state record. If it was a state record deer or elk and there was possible video proof that it was shot on posted land or after/before shooting time it would be investigated hopefully. Maybe the guy who caught it didn’t even know where it was hooked if they landed it way out on the point and he was up on the bank by the hole he might not have even seen it. Either way there is enough here to get it checked out imo. Honestly anyone that fished down there should be able to agree that it was a lotto ticket on who got what fish but everyone should be able to admit that a majority of them were snagged and I know a lot of us talked about what’s going to happen when a state record comes out of here and it was snagged. See how it plays out.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see Game and Fish declared the fish is the state record. They should have been able to see if it was snagged .

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see Game and Fish declared the fish is the state record. They should have been able to see if it was snagged .
How could you tell by looking at it lol that thing could have been hooked before multiple times over the last 4 days, lie detector for net man and record holder will clear it up. If it was legit they should pass and it will put the drama to rest and legitimize the recordeither that or someone needs to catch a 17 in the next few days which could happen.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
How could you tell by looking at it lol that thing could have been hooked before multiple times over the last 4 days, lie detector for net man and record holder will clear it up. If it was legit they should pass and it will put the drama to rest and legitimize the recordeither that or someone needs to catch a 17 in the next few days which could happen.
Yup

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
A. Congrats!!!!! That is a big fish
B. I have never snagged a dead fish on a jig. Appears to be a lot of current too. Snagged fish fight like a sob
C. Generally fish that snag themselves on a single hook are biting and they miss or I set to early. Both of which imo no isn't snagging even though the law may not allow for it

Somebody tell me where I am wwrong on my analysis of snagging. I just don't get it. The guy holds the record end of story

- - - Updated - - -

That video is sure making me think. It sure looks like a jig was pulled from the back of the fish.

How many times does one do that. Bait comes out and the thrashing they stick somewhere else on the fish. What's the chances the jig popps out that easy too with a snag.

- - - Updated - - -

Dear record holder:

This is a tough crowd. The only way most of these non believers could ever believe is

A. That video showing the fish being pulled into a sparkle boat preferably near. Where it states ranger on the boat
B. bonus to the sparkle would be that clearly they could see the blue rod state St. Croix legend

Both of those scenarios would of presented a big congrats heads nodding up and down and a mess of thumbs up. Anyway please ignore the nays and enjoy the record.
:;:thumbsup

Honored Member
Lie detector test for both the net man and guy who caught the fish!! Let's make this record legit!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
there are credible first person accounts that it had been, and was during the event in question, a situation where great deal of snagging was going on

in my opinion there is sufficient reason for people to be suspicious

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
A. Congrats!!!!! That is a big fish
B. I have never snagged a dead fish on a jig. Appears to be a lot of current too. Snagged fish fight like a sob
C. Generally fish that snag themselves on a single hook are biting and they miss or I set to early. Both of which imo no isn't snagging even though the law may not allow for it

Somebody tell me where I am wwrong on my analysis of snagging. I just don't get it. The guy holds the record end of story

- - - Updated - - -

How many times does one do that. Bait comes out and the thrashing they stick somewhere else on the fish. What's the chances the jig popps out that easy too with a snag.

- - - Updated - - -

Dear record holder:

This is a tough crowd. The only way most of these non believers could ever believe is

A. That video showing the fish being pulled into a sparkle boat preferably near. Where it states ranger on the boat
B. bonus to the sparkle would be that clearly they could see the blue rod state St. Croix legend

Both of those scenarios would of presented a big congrats heads nodding up and down and a mess of thumbs up. Anyway please ignore the nays and enjoy the record.
:;:thumbsup

I guess you just had to fish there to know why there is some scrutiny, when 90% of the fish that were being caught down there were being snagged, then there are multiple people that were there saying it wasn't legit, and then there is a video showing it was possibly body hooked that's why people are saying it seems fishy. I know I seen a few snagged fish get kept but I also watched a lot of the big girls snagged either come off in the current or get released immediately after pictures and some without even taking pictures because the fish was snagged. There are/were so many fish in that hole that even a single barbed jig was hooking up. Personally I had nine casts in a row that I hooked a fish with just a plain jig and plastic, none of those fish were hooked in the mouth. However some (10% or less) of the fish did bite or were snagged forward of the gills. One of those if you were fishing that hole at all you would understand. Hopefully it was a legit catch, either way it might pull a few more boaters of the water to lessen the crowds.....:;:cheers

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s almost like a guy maybe doesn’t want the record. Nobody would give a guy credit for it anyway.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think everyone gave leir credit for smacking one by the fox island boat ramp last year.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
in a “snagfest” circumstance like that, I know with certainty that I would have been outspoken about the catch, showed people nearby the legal jig position, etc.

no way I would have unhooked a legal catch without making sure people could/would vouch that it was a legal take

and maybe that is indeed the case here - the crappy video snippets just introduce doubt even though it might well be that it was all on the up and up

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56