One tag vs multi tag poll

With the present deer population should the G&F change to a 1 tag/person until population rebounds?

• One tag draw - species, sex, & unit specific - any weapon

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • Lottery draw for rifle only, if successful not allowed bow tag - if not successful purchase bow tag

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • One tag draw - Buck only - species & unit specific

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Leave system as is

Votes: 58 56.3%

• Total voters

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm no expert on GnF policy, but for those saying GnF needs to do more for habitat, do they have anywhere near the budget for something like that? Increase the habitat stamp to $100? Dedicate a piece of the legacy fund? :)

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm no expert on GnF policy, but for those saying GnF needs to do more for habitat, do they have anywhere near the budget for something like that? Increase the habitat stamp to $100? Dedicate a piece of the legacy fund? :)
No they don't and never will.
There is no good for you fellas in nodak.
It's just one of those " it is what it is"
Hard to hide a good piece of good habitat. If it's found out, it'll be posted heavily.
I've coyote hunting your great State for 20 years. It now is so far from what it was, I quit. So fun while it lasted.
No one to blame. It's a $$$ thing.
Someone could leave 100 acres of standing corn but without good thermal winter cover real close, in a bad winter, that cornfield has just become a death trap.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread is about allowing more hunters to enjoy time in the field not about the quality of the animal harvested.
Sorry. What part of OTC tags to be used in multiple seasons is confusing you with allowing LESS hunters in the field?

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
And where do they create this habitat? It takes a willing landowner. And a significant number of acres. An island of 20 trees in the ocean of dirt that is the RRV won’t get you too far.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry. What part of OTC tags to be used in multiple seasons is confusing you with allowing LESS hunters in the field?
What part of making the muley tag the only draw tag thus increasing the applicant for them by 10 fold makes it easier to draw a muley tag ? Now many don’t apply for a muley tag because they don’t want to take the chance of not drawing their local unit with their 2nd choice. If the WT tag is bought over the counter that would make it unlimited and a guaranteed tag. In 22 there were 76,783 deer applicants and 12,291 gratis tags for a total of just over 89,000 applicants. Now all could apply for the limited muley buck tag without losing their guaranteed WT tag. If only 25% applied for the muley tag that would be 22,680 applicants for the 1,500 to 1,800 muley buck tags, how do you like these odds

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t think making that tag easier to draw is the goal. Harder to draw less people hunting less muleys killed bigger mule deer to hunt is the way I’m reading it.

Tinesdown

Triying to post a thread in the heart of northdakota fort berthold deer tags havt heard anything about it

Tinesdown

I for one have a hommie down thst way an he has given me permisssin on a pile f deeded reservation ground woondering if any oneelse has rights on primo land on the res

Tinesdown

I don’t think making that tag easier to draw is the goal. Harder to draw less people hunting less muleys killed bigger mule deer to hunt is the way I’m reading it.
Harding sd have seen good deer that way is tht the custer national forest or

Tinesdown

Actually dont expect u to know alot more than someone that hunts down that way is my home unit and yeah good deer

Tinesdown

Actually dont expect u to know alot more than someone that hunts down that way is my home unit and yeah good deer

And where do they create this habitat? It takes a willing landowner. And a significant number of acres. An island of 20 trees in the ocean of dirt that is the RRV won’t get you too far.
I have hunted a unit 2k2 back in 2011 around new rockford hamberg hamlet north of carrington had private to walk never killed deer seen alot of good bucks but on private didnt fill my tag or 3 others that didnt punch tags. Come acros lands where we where found a bunch of thick tree packets 《rows》to hunt but very hard to hunt with just 3 people deer seemed to hold up in those.did hunting in eastern nd did work the lone tree game manegment area with our group but hard to kick deer they hide very well i can add big sloghs up by oberon and shyenne north dakota tough to kill derr very thick cattails if i can remember

Tinesdown

I have hunted a unit 2k2 back in 2011 around new rockford hamberg hamlet north of carrington had private to walk never killed deer seen alot of good bucks but on private didnt fill my tag or 3 others that didnt punch tags. Come acros lands where we where found a bunch of thick tree packets 《rows》to hunt but very hard to hunt with just 3 people deer seemed to hold up in those.did hunting in eastern nd did work the lone tree game manegment area with our group but hard to kick deer they hide very well i can add big sloghs up by oberon and shyenne north dakota tough to kill derr very thick cattails if i can remember

Tinesdown

I just saw what the post was about am im guessing the landowners farmers around here are very rich/ greedy and they will never change its farnimg every scrap of land an i beliveve they will be cool shooting bucks out of rock piles it will never change just my opinion my area will always be farm ground no crp sad? But if it was good habitat it would be off limits to joe somebody. Imo thats the truth any scap of bird land in nw northdokota is already spoken for sad.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

That's fine if it's all about the horns and not the opportunity to be in the field hunting. As it stands now there are unlimited bow tags which allows for the taking any species state wide, including mule deer. Over the years the pressure on mule deer from bow hunters has increased drastically. While bow hunters can use their tag to hunt mule deer every year it takes gun hunter 5-7 yrs to draw one of the limited tags. By removing the ability to take a mule deer with an over the counter bow tag would result in fewer mule deer taken each year by bow and ultimately increase the available tags in the draw, more tags equal increased odds of being drawn. This would also put gun and bow hunters on a level playing field for the opertunity to hunt mule deer in ND.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's fine if it's all about the horns and not the opportunity to be in the field hunting. As it stands now there are unlimited bow tags which allows for the taking any species state wide, including mule deer. Over the years the pressure on mule deer from bow hunters has increased drastically. While bow hunters can use their tag to hunt mule deer every year it takes gun hunter 5-7 yrs to draw one of the limited tags. By removing the ability to take a mule deer with an over the counter bow tag would result in fewer mule deer taken each year by bow and ultimately increase the available tags in the draw, more tags equal increased odds of being drawn. This would also put gun and bow hunters on a level playing field for the opertunity to hunt mule deer in ND.

I also said that archery muley would be a draw permit. So however many bowhunters are bowhunting the badlands now. Cut that number in half, and make it lottery..And remember, the hunter can only apply for an archery muley permit or rifle permit, not both.

In my case, knowing I had an OTC wt tag. I would NEVER apply for a rifle muley permit again for the rest of my life. You just eliminated me from the pool. I would choose to go after the archery permit over the rifle permit.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honest question- how many people are actually holding and filling multiple tags?
Good question Traxion. Twice in my lifetime I have had three tags, and neither time did I fill all three. When I am lucky enough to get a deer gun tag I do get some archery hunting in, but seldom shoot two bucks. Two years ago I had all three tags, which was the second time in my life. I waited four years for the gun tag and 12 years for the muzzleloader tag.
So many people see eliminating someone else's sport as a means for more tags for their chosen weapon. Many years ago the season was on l y three days. There is very few of you old enough to remember that. If you like to hunt and you envy bow hunters don't restrict them buy a bow.

Oh and don't get me starred on crossbows. The way it's set up we are at the mercy of hunter hating doctors at times. I have a relative with hundreds of acres of good deer habitat. He is 86 years old, and two years ago messed up his hand in a table saw accident. His doctor will not sign off on a crossbow permit for him. Outrageous!

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
With far less habitat (compared to say 2000-2010) you'd crowd lots more freelance hunters (the great majority) onto what little is left that's either private not posted or public and accessible to all.

Before any changes are made, I would be strongly in favor of funding for grid-flying the ENTIRE state when there's snow on the ground. Let's get a much closer estimate of what the population really is before making wholesale changes. IMO, ND G&F would need a much more detailed population breakdown to make major changes.
I don't think it would be any worse than it already is now. There's only so many hunters in ND anyway. Talking strictly about residents here. NR's would still need a lottery system.

One thing I'd like GNF to do is manage their lands better. So many WMA's are just trees and grass with little winter food sources, they should be putting some type of food plots on all of them even if it's just a few acres. I'd also like to see the state school lands managed more for wildlife instead of grazed to bare ground. Maybe if GNF sold OTC buck tags they would actually make more money then they are now and could put some more of that back into habitat.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think it would be any worse than it already is now. There's only so many hunters in ND anyway. Talking strictly about residents here. NR's would still need a lottery system.

One thing I'd like GNF to do is manage their lands better. So many WMA's are just trees and grass with little winter food sources, they should be putting some type of food plots on all of them even if it's just a few acres. I'd also like to see the state school lands managed more for wildlife instead of grazed to bare ground. Maybe if GNF sold OTC buck tags they would actually make more money then they are now and could put some more of that back into habitat.
Are you nuts? That would spread the super deadly CWD.

Average_NDA_Member

first things first im smarter then everyone else n know what needs to be done that said the fish n game dont know nothin game managemtn for every hunter is easy just need to spend there moneys on buyin up land n makin woods n crops im talkin eminant domain then let the people vote on who gets tags n how many startin with who yells the loudest then we abolish fish n game let the real hunters make the decisions get rid of all these fauci like rules n regs no more 100% fake diseases only problem is then who do we blame and bitch about when we get some real ND winters i guess maybe camper n watson tell ya what dont get me started on the pope

catchindeers

I don’t think any changes are needed because as stated, need a lot more habitat, food, and mild winters to sustain more deer. I also agree lift restrictions on cats in the badlands.

Small Changes that i would support would be:
Have muzzy draw first, if you draw a muzzy tag, no rifle tag or vise-versa i.e. one Gun tag
Weighted lottery, no reason a guy with 1 point should get a tag when a guy has 6 points and doesn’t draw

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84