Scope on muzzleloaders

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why we haven't changed this is a curious question. muzzleloader hunters hunt the last gun season, the guns now shoot better then some rifles, and when you shoot a deer over a 100 yards out its tough to see the deer behind the iron site it blocks out most of the deer. What's your thoughts? What does a person got to do to change this. signed petitions?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can use a 1x scope. Muzzle loader is supposed to be a primitive weapon. The restriction is in place to limit the capability and keep it somewhat primitive. If you want to shoot long distance use a rifle.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a 1x on my muzzy because with my age seeing both the front and rear sight is near impossible. The weird part is seeing the front of the barrel in the scope, its like looking through a culvert, and the deer seam farther away. For the last 8 years I have been oiling and dusting it off, maybe get to use it one more time before I quit.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
bfishn, limit capability??,shoot long distance?? that was good 20 years ago. if wanted to keep it primitive they should limit what kind of gun they are using ie flint lock or cap that shoot a chunk of lead 50 yards in a paper plate target and anything past that is ify, more wounded deer. man the muzzle loaders now are night and day. personally this should change either limit the guns used for muzzleloader season or use more then a 1x scope or drop it completely. The only difference with my inline muzzleloader and a rifle is the way you load it.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The reason was sound when we were all running with hawkens with a cap and ball. Now all they are doing with the law is rasing the likelihood of a deer being wounded. If they wanted to keep it primitive they long since missed the boat on that one. Another one that also gets me is why a 45 calibar muzzle loader is two small for moose hunting. Good lord that thing is throwing half a couch down range at warp speed with more knock down power then many of the legal riffles that they allow.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Its the pistol thing, too many 45 cal, pistols with 6 shots and no range.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can't make the laws perfect. There will always be guys taking shots beyond their or the equipments capabilities. I don't believe there are any laws against using your muzzy during rifle with any scope you want.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would definitely be against legalizing scopes. At least keep it semi-primitive.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make bow season be recurve only :;:stirthepot

I love handing my recurve to guys with 18000 dollar bows that shoot 1 inch groups. No fancy release, No sights at all, just a little wire rest. All of a sudden they cant hit the bag much less the bullseye

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been shooting muzzleloaders since the days of goex blackpowder and patched round balls, I dont see any issue with using scopes, my inline with leupold ultimate slam is capable of placing a shot "somewhere" on a piece of notebook paper at 300 yds off a benchrest, most guys would throw a rifle away that shot like that!
My older eyes would enjoy hunting with the scope!! Anyone that has shot any amount of muzzleloader knows that accuracy comes from consistent loading and cleaning habits.
just my thoughts!!

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The muzzy season was intended to recreate a primitive way to hunt. With scopes and in-lines it would become a single shot rifle season and before the G&F allows that they should do away with the muzzy season and add the tags to the rifle lottery. I remember the days before the in-line revolution when it didn't take 8 to 10 years to get drawn. I say take it back to the basics or do away with it completely.

1 tag per person :;:stirthepot

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone above talked about age and hard to see his sites. I have the same problem so went with a 1x on line. A peep with a small aperature works also, much like a higher f stop on a camera lense. Unfortunately like a camera lense it cuts a lot of light. I have been looking for a flintlock, but wow have the prices gone up.

Someone mentioned a pie plate at 50 yards. Read some of the old literature. Lewis and Clark reported killing deer with the air rifle they had a long, at 100 yards and further with their flintlock.

Many people are unfamiliar with how long air rifles have been around. Napoli an used them, and it's reported that a couple in a museum still hold air. Lewis and Clark is in the Winchester museum in Cody, Wyoming.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can put any type of scope you want on a muzzy for the deer GUN season. But the muzzy season was set up with the intention of it being a more primitive weapon. Unfortunately, or fortunately for some of us technology has changed that. If they're going to allow zoomed scopes now too, then I'd just as soon they just get rid of the season and throw those tags into the rifle season.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who was actually around when they decided to have a muzzleloader season? Was it actually made so people had to use primitive weapons or was it made as another opportunity to harvest deer with a different weapon?

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who was actually around when they decided to have a muzzleloader season? Was it actually made so people had to use primitive weapons or was it made as another opportunity to harvest deer with a different weapon?
When they first came out with the season, there were no inlines or so called modern muzzleloaders. You could pretty much get a license if you sent in for one. Then all of a sudden the inlines became popular and everyone just looked at it as another way to shoot another deer. My opinion, it should go to side lock only for the muzzleloader season. I'm a traditionalist I guess.

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
To me the illusion of primitive hunting is shot the minute you hop into your new 4 wheeldrive pickup dressed in the lastest superclothing!! Buckskins, bear grease patches, and a lengthy walk to your hunting grounds!!!
Muzzleloader season affords me the opportunity to hunt with a"lesser weapon"without the chaos of the regular rifle season.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34