Tips and tricks section!

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy of mine was having issues with some pretty major interference on his depth finders when his trolling motor was on.

Figured I would share what he found.

IMG_1301.jpg

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm having the same issue with my front sonar. I'll be checking this out tonight. Thanks!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My league partner had issues with his spot lock not locking. Then the head would spin erratically. Turns out, the positive and negative leads needed to be shortened and separated. Head works fine now.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
My league partner had issues with his spot lock not locking. Then the head would spin erratically. Turns out, the positive and negative leads needed to be shortened and separated. Head works fine now.

WTF?! why would that fix that?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always have a can of trusty wd-40, ducktape, valve stem tool, and a yeti cooler pre cooled.
At least that is what I would need if I used a boat:cool:

Pedro

Established Member
I've been having issues with my terrova, happens probly 10 times a day, that the head unit won't respond to the buttons I push on my ipilot remote. Tried a fresh battery. It always has full signal strength when it happens as well. Today I actually had to run up there and unplug it because I was turned and it was just spinning circles. Got a lot of funny looks from neighboring boats on that one lol. Usually I keep pushin the button and after 5ish seconds it finally responds and will run like normal for a wile then randomly happen again later. Kinda getting irritating

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I hate electrical problems, mostly because I have no idea what I'm doing to try and fix them. If I do find and fix the problem it's mostly dumb luck.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might need a new board Pedro take it to Scheels Minkota shop

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get a lot of noise on my sonar whenever any of my livewell fill or recirc pumps run. Any cure for that?

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get a lot of noise on my sonar whenever any of my livewell fill or recirc pumps run. Any cure for that?
Any other electronic device running off the same battery as your graph has the potential to cause interference. Most likely cause is a loose ground connection on the pumps

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Run a separate heavy gauge wire from the battery to a separate fuse gang/panel near the sonar and run only graphs/sonar from that panel.

Keep wiring of your transducer away from other wires that power pumps, etc.

Running much heavier gauge than the originally installed wiring to my fuse panel cured a host of ills.

Yesterday's graphs/displays didn't draw much and one usually only ran one device. Old wiring jobs were never intended to run the "big screen TVs" that are today's graphs - and certainly not three of them!

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pedro, I agree with sweeney. Sounds like it is the board in the head. Take it to scheels and have them fix it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33