Youth tag hunting

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son has his first youth doe tag this year. He doesn't want to take the easy road and shoot a corn fed whitail. He's looking forward to some hiking and chaising muleys.(Not out west) if were doing this I would like to carry my bow just in case we come across a nice buck. Is this legal? I swear I read somewhere that the accompanying adult must not be armed. I've read the proclamation and can't find this stated anywhere. Ya ya I'll Probably call and ask the game and fish anyway but thought I'd check here first.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure youth doe tags are whitetail does only. Better check on that, would hate for the kid to break the law with his first deer.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Youth Deer Season - All firearms and archery equipment allowed during the regular deer gun season are legal during the youth deer season. In addition, each youth licensee must be accompanied (able to have unaided verbal contact) by at least one unarmed parent, guardian, or adult authorized by their parent or guardian. (A licensed hunter in the field during the dates of the youth deer season cannot be accompanied by a person carrying a firearm or bow and arrow, unless that person is another licensed youth season hunter.) Quadriplegics of any age having a regular deer season lottery license may also hunt during the youth deer season but are restricted to the type of deer and unit as described on their license

from the deer hunting guide

- - - Updated - - -

https://gf.nd.gov/regulations/deer

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
That what I thought but couldn't find it in the proclamation. Found it now. Must of had a brain fart when I was looking.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your right on the whitetail only as well. I read the restricted units portion that applies to the 14yr Buck tags. Damn good thing I started to look at it all now instead of this weekend!

Apparently I need to get him something bigger than a .22 as Well! J/k

Jacob Hanson

I didn't fill either of my whitetail doe tags, but I filled my any deer youth tag with a mule deer doe and my 3a2 buck tag the next year, I love the youth season. Even if you don't fill it it is the experience that matters.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it's the 12/13 doe only, it's for whitetail doe's. However, if it's the 14 year old youth they can shoot either/or. Additionally, I'm pretty sure the 12/13 doe tag can only be used during youth season in September. It does not carry over to regular season like the 14 year old youth.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 14 youth tag can shoot either in the eastern units but they need to have drawn for a muley in the western units to shoot a muley

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
If he using the 14 year old one and you have a tag u can carry a gun when the reg gun season opens back up in nov. Bow too with orange on

ND-Walleye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually called the G & F and inquired about the youth tag dates.. I was told that there are 2 different youth tags. The difference is the 12/13 tag as it was referred to by Shockwave has a yellow stripe on the bottom portion. This tag has expired. It was only good for whitetail does during the Youth Season. The other Youth tag has a blue stripe on the bottom portion and the tag is good for both the Youth Season and the normal Gun Season..

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 174
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 83