Camping

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been a tent camper for all my life. I finally broke down after I had my leg whacked off and got a camper. I like the fact I can pull up, unhook, level it and be ready to go. I still spend 90% of my time outside though.

I like the instant ready to camp from the camper but really miss the nice tent and camp I'm used to.

What do you guys do for camping?

Here's a shot of my tent and a nice comfy camp, I spent 3 weeks here relaxing and enjoying life.

camping Jeep.jpg

DSCF2007.jpg

camping w:lew.jpg

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
My joints, back, etc don't like a tent anymore. For Arizona and Devils Lake it's a 37ft 5th wheel. For running around Montana etc it's a 19 ft travel trailer. For 10 below zero or deer season it's an insulated, carpeted, heated 17ft x6.5 x 7ft high enclosed trailer. The old wall tent with a wood stove I did like. It's sure nice on a cold winter night to go in the trailer, hit the thermostat, and be in your shirt sleeves in ten minutes.
I wish I had made my storm windows more easily removed. I have had coyotes at night 50 yards from the trailer barking at me during the part of the season that's legal to shoot at night.

Last edited:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Camper setup permanent at Parshall. It is just too handy.

I got tired of pulling a camper around real fast. Just not my cup of tea.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
I've been tenting it all my life. Now I have three grandkids and they are the one's that want us to get a camper...go figure.

But as I look through them at the sports show it may be my next big purchase!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Started out camping in a tent, probably camped in a tent for around 10 years, not a lot, just a few times a summer, but we were camping. Then one camping trip, at around 1 in the morning, a storm roles in, and as I'm standing trying to hold the top of the tent up and keep the sleeping bags out of the water, I look my wife and say "This is the last time we are camping unless we get a camper" :mad: That was maybe 15 years ago, been camping ever since then in a 5th wheel camper....................Is it really camping if your hooked up to water and electricity in a state campground? :;:huh

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes not so much camping, but we would rather be in our camper than a motel room. I don't like motel rooms. When I have to stay in one I use half a can of Lysol spray.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
After the earlier years of a tent, wind, rain and you name it.
Yes it is really camping with running hot water, heat, tv, refrig, ect

But this year the wife said she would ride with me if i got a three wheeler (Goldwing) which i did and that will include back to the tent, no elec, ect.

We will see. db

257Bob

Founding Member
Founding Member
We started with a tent back in the early 70's, one very long very rainy weekend (with a 3 yr old) put an end to that.
Got a slide in pop-up pickup unit that we used for a few years. That wasn't too bad, very cozy though. Since then we've had both 5th wheels and travel trailers, and have decided that the travel trailer is best suited to our needs.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well, since I grew up camping and have continued throughout my adult life I checked a few of the boxes. I've slept under the stars, tent camped for a handful of years in my younger days, upgraded to a travel trailer, and then to another, and I'm now on my 3rd fifth wheel. Each has it's own place, I mean I could go back to tent camping if we were out doing backpacking and doing some type of back country excursions where a camper doesn't make sense. Around here through, the tent sites aren't real good, they suck when the weather moves in, backpacking is pretty minimal, and the primary reason I head to the lake is to relax and fish. Therefore, a camper is what's on the docket. Going from an older wilderness without AC/awnings or slides to glamping in the Columbus, sitting in a recliner watching a movie on the big screen with the fire place turned on, I've been through a few rigs. Considering we sit on a seasonal site and I only move it down and back once a year, the bigger, nicer, more slides, the better! Basically we treat it like a cabin. If I was towing it every weekend and traveling to different camp sites and such, I'd probably opt for one about 8-10ft shorter. Something easier to tow and where I'd more comfortable and at-least close to legal pulling double. If the camper is going, so is the boat, lol! If I was traveling the country, I firmly beleive I would consider a nice diesel pusher motor home. I think each has it's own place.

Because we're on a seasonal site, I considered and looked a a few large travel trailers and park model campers. They were very spacious and had some really nice layouts however the one thing I cann't get over after owning three fifth wheels, the travel trailers and park models have virtually no storage. I mean the last two fifth wheels had basements large enough to park a mini cooper. We keep all kinds of stuff in there. Not sure where where I would store that stuff without. So for me, for now, it's a fifth wheel which fits our current style of camping the best. Someday down the road, that could very well change.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
When we had our toyhaulers people would ask us about camping. I told them this isn't camping, this is RVing. Big difference.
To me camping is roughing it and with a RV that is hardly roughing it. LOL ;:;rofl

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey now, our first camper was a 1987 24' wilderness, rear bunk, front kitchen. No AC, no awning, no slides, had to turn the kitchen table into a bed or pull out the couch if you didn't want to sleep on a bunk and the refer only worked on gas. However coming from a tent, damn we thought we were uptown! Then again, compared to the Columbus; well, the old wilderness was pretty close to camping, lol. What we're doing now is not camping, it's just going to the lake!

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Camping in a tent in 1980 is alot different than camping in a tent now. Buy a quality tent, not some $80 coleman from walmart, and you can ride out nearly all weather just fine. I probably spend 50 nights a year in a tent anywhere from March to November.

You couldn't pay me to tow a big camper around and deal with that headache.

Taking a fifth wheel with every single comfort of home and hooking it up to power water and sewer at a state park with your neighbors on both sides doing the same thing 15' away, you are NOT camping. You are just vacationing at the trailer park.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been camping in a tent my whole life. Only time in a "camper" would be time spent in a fish house.

We have a nice tent and take care of it with waterproofing and such. Big enough for wife and I and our 2 little boys now, but once they hit 5-6 they will get their own tent.

We've been through some pretty bad storms and it can get "in tents"....

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have an issue with temps up and down in a tent --- wake up my head feels like you know what

if its a warm night and the temp stays even --- i am ok in a tent. Tented in grizzley country and one worked over a garbage can about 100yds off --- didnt sleep worth a damn.

I like my camper ---snuggle up to the wifey --- watch a roland martin outdoors on TV. Wake up in the AM - push the coffee maker on --- Hank JR's Quote: "When it rains the real sportsmen head for the cabin"

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends on where I'm going. Most of my camping is for hunting trips. Used to have an enclosed trailer we insulated had heat and window and cots set up. Worked great as a base camp for 2-3 people more then that we got a little crowded. Then when we would pack into elk country or high altitude mule deer we pack a small tent. Last year sold the enclosed trailer and upgraded to an older 5th wheel. Nothing fancy 26 foot bunks in the back no slide out but has AC and stove fridge shower. A little beat up so not afraid to get some dings on it dragging it thru tight trees in the mountains. More comfy with more people and better for using in summer for camping at the lake. Also converted a large tack room on our horse trailer to be livable turned out looking really good just wish would have put AC in it.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
25 years ago our 5th wheel camper (1986 Wilderness) was a middle of the road camper in quality and size. Nowadays it is by far the smallest, oldest looking 5th wheel in most campgrounds we visit. It generally only gets used 2 times a year. We are at a stage in life where we are trying to decide if we should upgrade or are we done camping. I still really enjoy camping but putting it on the calendar is always a struggle.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have camped in the CA and US rockies, camped in badlands, camped in MB, camped from here to FL on a road trip --- but you havent camped until you camp at :

- - - Updated - - -

I have been on and off -- but started going in 1984 ---- still go today -- we get a campspot in VIP and we take the fun bus out at night and sleep in a buddies cabin (roughing it). Our campsite is like a tailgate site --

We take a stroll into what we call --- Gen Pop --- thats where its like a third world country and its like no third world you have ever been too. pictures do no justice.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0467.jpgThis is my setup, rugged enough to still let me feel like iam camping but also provides more comfort than a walmart tent.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82