Who's going qucak quack hunting...I mean ducking hunting this weekend

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Opening weekend...who is going out and for those that have been scouting, what does it look like as far the numbers go? If I can squeeze it in..I'd like to try...but not around williston as I rather go after the green heads and it looks like the further east you go. supposedly its better hunting? Ah oh...I screwed up the heading...again...damn....please excuse the ing of the duck..... Can I blame johnr on that one??? anyone second that? anybody....lol

Last edited:

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boy has a ball game in Williston tomorrow afternoon. Might head north and east afterwards and try to find a spot; if nothing else it will be an armed scouting trip.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't wait. Scouted a bit last weekend. Numbers looked about average. If things keep drying up it'll really help. Last thing we need right now is more precip.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
starting to become borderline drought in South central. most smaller potholes are on the verge of drying up. a lot of cattails getting cut. some ducks around but nothing special. ruddys had a good hatch

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going after wood ducks in the morning so that will be interesting in the wind. Buddy wanted to find a crap duck slough for Sunday but ironically all we could find were big groups of mallards. Overall mallard and wood duck numbers are high but the rest are pretty low. Looks like most of the teal are well on there way south.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sunday sounds like a funday ---- I am going fishing --- I used to F-ck hunt but now I just hunt/catch things that taste good.

You boys have a good hunt --- :;:thumbsup

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fun to shoot, hard to eat.
Good luck guys, I will be at Tschida, maybe wet a line or two

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
we decided to say screw it and sleep in. not a lot has changed down here migration wise other than a few cranes moved in and you can water swat some brown ducks. don't really feel like going after the local geese anymore and couldn't find any fields with enough ducks to justify getting up early for. maybe the full moon has a lot of ducks going "nocturnal". as I drove home and stared up at the full moon I thought why couldn't the resident only season be the week before deer season? I just don't get pumped to Arkansas a bunch of semi-plumed ducks off of water anymore. its awesome that we have a full week dedicated to only resident hunting I don't mean to complain but it is the equavilent to winning a free car and having to accept a prius in a parking lot full of escalades.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I guess I'm going now my 7 year old set his alarm for 4am. Said he was going to wake me up so I could take him. I couldn't argue with that.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
we decided to say screw it and sleep in. not a lot has changed down here migration wise other than a few cranes moved in and you can water swat some brown ducks. don't really feel like going after the local geese anymore and couldn't find any fields with enough ducks to justify getting up early for. maybe the full moon has a lot of ducks going "nocturnal". as I drove home and stared up at the full moon I thought why couldn't the resident only season be the week before deer season? I just don't get pumped to Arkansas a bunch of semi-plumed ducks off of water anymore. its awesome that we have a full week dedicated to only resident hunting I don't mean to complain but it is the equavilent to winning a free car and having to accept a prius in a parking lot full of escalades.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member

I'll complain, it's a total joke how many NR's invade us and come to shoot everything in sight. Does anyone know what the cap is on NR waterfowlers? I'd like to see it go back to 5000 like it was in the 80's. The percentages that our license prices were raised in recent years compared to NR's doesn't add up to me. If they're gonna come anyway they should be paying a premium to make up for the lost revenue of the Game & Fish Dept. As for duck numbers it's really low in south central ND, hell my flowers were 10 moisture today if that tells you anything for the amount of sloughs that have water in them.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there anything we can do to keep the f!'(ing blue players and sconies outta here. Would enough calls/emails to the game and fish do anything or not? Don't get me wrong. I have a group of blue platers that hunt with me every year but they aren't the type who shoot everything in sight and pay no attention to limits or NO HUNTING signs

Just spent 4 hours today posting up all the land in the family in an attempt to keep them off

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
again don't mean to complain because I feel I am very fortunate to have been born and raised in ND and know enough people getting on land usually isn't too hard for us but it has become a damn joke at the amount of NR's that are here now. I've heard the numbers haven't changed much in the last few years but my god does it feel like it has. I feel they are hunting more during the week than they did 10 years ago so maybe that is why the liscence numbers are similar yet pressure is higher??? I have an uncle who farms only 5 quarters who had hail last year. had one field the ducks and geese wouldn't leave. he saved it for us to hunt but in one afternoon he was asked 7 times to hunt by different NR groups. he had guys in his farm looking for permission everyday for 2 weeks even when we were there hunting. and this isn't even in a very high profile area of the state! a lot of landowners I know are getting pretty tired of being hounded from aug-dec. GNF are you listening????? this is a good way to slash access to everyone and promote leasing so that landowners don't get bothered so damn much.

couldn't agree with you more USMCDI. Ive said that for years now. they need to cap the NR liscense at 15000-20000 and double the cost of the license. they will still make the same revenue they had before and it will curb pressure. they will never do this though because our Legislature and GNF cares only about money and sales. they listen to the tourism bureau and chambers more than the actual sportsman. gotta keep those MN guys happy ya know, meanwhile the liberals to the east keep voting against coal so we end up losing jobs and paying more for everything. . . . . time to grow a spine GNF and do whats right. I'm glad SD had the balls to listen to there own sportsman.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeah and it hasn't even opened to NRS yet. :;:cheers wait til the circus comes to town next weekend. This may be the year it becomes overwhelming for everyone.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeah and it hasn't even opened to NRS yet. :;:cheers wait til the circus comes to town next weekend. This may be the year it becomes overwhelming for everyone.

Oh yeah, the boat parade, can't wait. I purposely left all of my wheat and barley fields unsprayed in an effort to have a few sections that would be green for the waterfowl, hope it doesn't bite me in the ass. It's comical to see the amount of NR's that would camp out overnight and burn my phone up to shoot shit ducks outta sloughs when they could be shooting mallards and pintails in the fields, we go through it every year and they just don't get it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 186
  • This month: 152
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84