Underwater Camera opinions

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been wanting an underwater camera for years, but now that my 2-year-old son is coming with this winter, I'm going to finally bite the bullet. Price is a factor, which is why I have it narrowed down to two Aqua-Vu models: the AV Micro II or the AV715C. Only $50 separates them, and I can see pros and cons to each. But I honestly don't know anyone who runs underwater cameras, so I can't tap buddies for advice.

Anyone have experience with these? I was really drawn to the Micro for its compact size and portability, but for just $50 more I can get a unit with a bigger screen and (seemingly) more robust cable/camera.

This'll be a post-Christmas purchase once I have gift cards and money tallied...and when there's finally fishable ice.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
For what its worth as far as options, I bought..well santa did... a C-fish for the better half last year. Plus'es- cost..I think it was $199, remote control rotating camera, fairly good picture in clearer water.
Minus's-in stained water the picture isn't all that good(although that is the case with most camera's). I had to send back the battery that it came with..defective...but one call to them and then sent another. battery life isn't that great before recharging is needed.
Would I buy it again? I think so. Wife seems to like looking at the fishies versus a vex so yeah, I would get it again.
Sitting in the permanent house watching the camera is a good past time as well..plus you can see what kind of fish is on the vex...if its a slough shark or what.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
For what its worth as far as options, I bought..well santa did... a C-fish for the better half last year. Plus'es- cost..I think it was $199, remote control rotating camera, fairly good picture in clearer water.
Minus's-in stained water the picture isn't all that good(although that is the case with most camera's). I had to send back the battery that it came with..defective...but one call to them and then sent another. battery life isn't that great before recharging is needed.
Would I buy it again? I think so. Wife seems to like looking at the fishies versus a vex so yeah, I would get it again.
Sitting in the permanent house watching the camera is a good past time as well..plus you can see what kind of fish is on the vex...if its a slough shark or what.

That's the same price as the Micro II, so I'd probably go with the Aqua-Vu for no other reason than it's a vetted brand. Other than the defective battery, how has the C-Fish held up?

I tried Googling it and didn't find much. In fact the company website was dead. Where'd you buy it?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought it online. yeah..i wasn't sure what I was getting myself into when it had a bad battery..wondering how the service dept was but they sent out another right away so was happy about that. Might even be out of business now. I have only had it one year so jury is still out but it did work well in clear water. Best part of the thing is the remote control rotating camera.
Maybe others on here have one that can weigh in on durability of the thing past one year. I have spent $200 on "got to have" things in the past so am glad to report this expenditure has turned out ok thus far.
Try youtubing it.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also have a cFish.....got it last winter. Love the rotating camera head and have had no problems. But since the website is dead you may not be able to find one anyway.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are not cheap, but Marcum are far and away the best cameras I have seen work.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are not cheap, but Marcum are far and away the best cameras I have seen work.

sadly I hate mine (some color version) - my old cheaper B&W Aqua-Vus were better

I really like the ergonomics of av715c - if I buy another that's what I'll get and I've had three and used them a ton

The "big red box" of my Marcum is super un-handy for scouting or boat. Big clumsy lame packaging.

- - - Updated - - -

in fact the reason I don't use them much anymore is because the Marcum package sucks and the battery always seems drawn down even when new

and sometimes the screen is blank until I warm it up in the pickup or shelter ;:;banghead

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
sadly I hate mine (some color version) - my old cheaper B&W Aqua-Vus were better

I really like the ergonomics of av715c - if I buy another that's what I'll get and I've had three and used them a ton

The "big red box" of my Marcum is super un-handy for scouting or boat. Big clumsy lame packaging.

Huh, the picture quality is what I was referring to. I have a Vista Cam and I have seen many aqua vu cameras work. There was a friend of a friend that had a Marcum and that thing was so crystal clear it blew my mind. Made mine look like junk. He must have got a good one.

- - - Updated - - -

The only time I ever use one is in the permanent shack. It is nice to raise up your lure out of the strike zone when you see a big snot rocket on the prowl.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
fishing with a camera in decent conditions is a hoot - and for some reason it's challenging getting your arm to react to what the fish is doing. It's almost as if your arm doesn't believe what your eyes are seeing (the fish sucked it in) so there's this odd half-second reaction time issue for a while. Once adjusted it's pretty unfair advantage in some scenarios (light "upward biting" crappies etc.)

maybe I got a freakin' lemon - I think mine was $500 on sale for $400

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huh, the picture quality is what I was referring to. I have a Vista Cam and I have seen many aqua vu cameras work. There was a friend of a friend that had a Marcum and that thing was so crystal clear it blew my mind. Made mine look like junk. He must have got a good one.

- - - Updated - - -

The only time I ever use one is in the permanent shack. It is nice to raise up your lure out of the strike zone when you see a big snot rocket on the prowl.

EXACTLY!!!!!. I get my perch or walleye set up the heck out of the hole once I see a slough shark!!!!!!! If I want/need to get that shark out of the area I will put down a shark set up and haul that bugger out of the fishing area so perch and/ or walleye come back.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new Aqua-Vu HD700i claims to be the first 720 hd camera on the market I wonder if anyone has used the Marcums 625 on Devils Lake or North Dakota waters period. I have a old 360 degree camera but the connections got corroded from the wonderful Devils Lake water. You can get the 825 for around 430 right now online but I do like the mobilization of the small 5 inch screens for scouting possible new areas that don't have any contours on lake maps. Does anyone have any opinions on camera options

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have only used the Marcum and liked it. Do agree the the power rotating device is well worth the money and you can't beat a camera for keeping kids interested. Way more fun for them to see the fish opposed to a blip on the vex screen. Water clarity is vitally important. Have been on water where you could see 10-15 feet and water where you couldn't see 2 feet. Not much use if the water is not clear.

For fishing they are a benefit as you can see what the fish are doing. Biting light sometimes where you don't even feel the bite but see the bait disappear in the fishes mouth.

Kids in the fishhouse will love the camera and the adults will become addicted as well. Keep the batteries warm and charged.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was really looking at the new more portable models at Reeds this last weekend. I was comparing the Aquaview 3 and 5 inch models vs the Marcum Recon 5 and 5+. Marcum picture quality was considerably better IMO. If they had a sale on them, a Recon 5 would have went home with me. Nice little unit to put a bendy arm on with clamp so you can position it where you want.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was kidding Capt. the micro 5+ say it has 1million line of resolution as well as 3x zoom feature. The bad thing about the micro is no led light which is kind of a big factor up here when there is heavy snow cover.
I liked my old 360 camera but was not very mobile but did have led and ir lights. But as always Chinese cap is hard to find parts for it so it sits on a shelf collecting dust. I know those who have cameras swear by them even in 30+ feet of water. Especially in later season when the water has time to settle making visibility much better.

fishn4fun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had aqua-vu, atlantis, and Marcum(all black and white). The Marcum has the best picture clarity of the ones I've had, none of the lights work the best at night. I've seen a few color cams, not sure on brands, and I don't think the picture was as good as the Marcum, out of the water they looked good but under the water was a different story. Sorry I don't have any insight on the two models you're looking at.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two year olds tend to drop things down ice holes. I would recommend something bigger than a micro.

I have a Vexilar Fish Phone - not the greatest for running and gunning but if you have old Apple / Android devices you can download the app if one ends up at the bottom of the lake it isn't a super expensive replacement. Pic quality is pretty solid too. Love using it in the permanent hooked up to the TV too.

I've been wanting an underwater camera for years, but now that my 2-year-old son is coming with this winter, I'm going to finally bite the bullet. Price is a factor, which is why I have it narrowed down to two Aqua-Vu models: the AV Micro II or the AV715C. Only $50 separates them, and I can see pros and cons to each. But I honestly don't know anyone who runs underwater cameras, so I can't tap buddies for advice.

Anyone have experience with these? I was really drawn to the Micro for its compact size and portability, but for just $50 more I can get a unit with a bigger screen and (seemingly) more robust cable/camera.

This'll be a post-Christmas purchase once I have gift cards and money tallied...and when there's finally fishable ice.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Aqua Vu 360 and its great. The picture quality on a 42 inch TV is really good. I wish I could find another one so I have a back up.

I had the C-Fish a few yrs ago with the rotating camera and it was a pretty good camera.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 177
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84