Favorite Venison recipes

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please share your favorite marinade and/or recipe. Specifically, I've got backstrap and loins I want to get marinating asap. But, please share whatever you got. We have a great backstrap recipe that involves thyme, rosemary, garlic, black pepper, olive oil marinade, a red hot grill and a sweet red wine reduction sauce that is to die for. I will share specifics when I am in front of a computer tomorrow. But, we've worn that one out and I need some new ideas. Ready, set, cook.....

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
You just made me a little sad. Those cuts need only s/p, flour and butter or bacon grease in a very hot cast iron skillet.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You just made me a little sad. Those cuts need only s/p, flour and butter or bacon grease in a very hot cast iron skillet.

No. Just, no. Want to ruin your meat, coat it in flour. Yikes, man.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the crust but can well do without.

- - - Updated - - -

I should've been more clear. Flour dusting for slow saute in butter. S/P maybe some garlic for flash fry in bacon grease.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes yes... i am aware. I eat at least a couple deer per year and a good portion get S&P and grilled or cast ironed maybe with eggs or some onion. But, I also prefer to not freeze those cuts either. So, once it's in the fridge, the clock starts ticking and a guy can only eat so much of the same thing in one week. Pretty sure the loins will get S&P for breakfast today. And I had strap for supper last night. A little creativity is what I'm seeking. If it's not out there, I will persevere nonetheless. ;)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Prior to searing these cuts to medium rare I can't help but recommend dusting with cayenne as well. Salt, pepper, and cayenne is what chefs use to sear ahi tuna. It's "that little something missing" ingredient we didnt grow up with in ND.

Guywhocheats tip: sprinkle fresh cracked black pepper, cayenne, and sea salt evenly out onto a cutting board or similar surface. Then roll your "meat log" onto that surface. Result is perfectly even coating - even on goofy shaped pieces because you can dab every surface that didn't get coated during the roll.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This has to be done while cutting up the deer for the freezer. Salt, pepper, butter, cast iron skillet or heaven forbid electric skillet this is for all those little slices of meat next to the bone that never should go into burger ever. Scriblens I think they are called. Not sure on spelling.:;:cheers

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Prepare your steaks your favorite way, either over the grill or in a cast iron skillet. Rule #1, don't overcook. A little on the rare side is better than overcooking. Unless you prefer your meat as tough as shoe leather.

Now for the change. Place a layer of crab meat on the steak and then cover with bearnaise sauce. A classy and very nice change for a good venison steak. I have used imitation crab and that works if you don't have real crab meat available.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
loins get coated in a cornmeal based coating, then fried. I do the same with backstraps, but this year i started cutting the back straps to the width of a slice of bacon and wrapping them up like a fillet mignon, then grilling and seasoning to taste (no marinade)

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Prior to searing these cuts to medium rare I can't help but recommend dusting with cayenne as well. Salt, pepper, and cayenne is what chefs use to sear ahi tuna. It's "that little something missing" ingredient we didnt grow up with in ND.

Guywhocheats tip: sprinkle fresh cracked black pepper, cayenne, and sea salt evenly out onto a cutting board or similar surface. Then roll your "meat log" onto that surface. Result is perfectly even coating - even on goofy shaped pieces because you can dab every surface that didn't get coated during the roll.

i like adding one brush to the top with Esse's South American while loins are resting after the grill. I feel it adds that "something missing" but doesn't over power

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like the recommendations of different seasonings that so many of you are suggesting. My belief is that seasoning and spices should enhance the flavor of the meat, not hide it. Proper seasoning is, in my opinion, the most important part of cooking. Well, cooking to proper doneness might overshadow seasoning but it's right up there.

I need to store all these suggestions so I can use them if I draw a tag in the next few years.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
don't let the word "cayenne" throw you - if properly dosed cayenne has little heat but magically makes the crust more savory - can't imagine an outside dusting of any chili powder's heat getting in the way of all the bulk inside meat

- unless they make ghost chili or habanero powder?

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. all my loins/straps get grilled in the form of "logs" - then sliced after resting like a sausage

long ago I used to butterfly them into chops - what a dork ;:;banghead

- - - Updated - - -

I think the reason top chefs use those three simple ingredients is to let the beauty of the meat's natural flavor steal the show

the seared rind just sings backup ;:;rofl

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I add cayenne when doing the Alton Brown cast iron steak. My dusting is s/p (Kosher/Fresh ground) little shake of onion/garlic power and the cayenne. You're correct about the heat in this technique. Never tried venison with this method as I'm not the greatest at adjusting cooking times. AB's posted method calls for an inch thick steak.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes yes... i am aware. I eat at least a couple deer per year and a good portion get S&P and grilled or cast ironed maybe with eggs or some onion. But, I also prefer to not freeze those cuts either. So, once it's in the fridge, the clock starts ticking and a guy can only eat so much of the same thing in one week. Pretty sure the loins will get S&P for breakfast today. And I had strap for supper last night. A little creativity is what I'm seeking. If it's not out there, I will persevere nonetheless. ;)

None of my vids intrigued you?

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Soak your cold meat in warm butter.

Roll in sea salt once the butter re-congeals.

600+ degree grill.

Sear 1.5-2min/side

Move meat to indirect heat and pull off the grill when temp probe is 125-130.

Rest your meat for ~10min:

IMG_00022.jpg

IMG_0303_zps111d28d6.jpg

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eff man that is way to rare. I could duplicate that in a toaster or just eat it out of the freezer paper with a pan or dipping sauce. Props to your inner predator.

- - - Updated - - -

In full disclosure I've soaked my warm meat in warm butter.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, forgot to mention I'm a big fan of the simplicity. I'd just cook a couple min longer.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 141
  • This month: 131
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88