Loading "Hotter"

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would it be feasible or does anyone add a few grains specifically to compensate for these current temperatures?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't, but the truth is that I don't go out and test when it's this cold either. We do know that changes in temperature, elevation, etc. can affect the performance of bullets. Sometimes it's very little and sometimes not. I also don't use a lot of different kinds of powder so some kinds may be different than others. The only way to tell is by testing. As a general rule, once I find an accurate load, adding a few grains has a tendency to throw off the accuracy I'm looking for.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would it be feasible or does anyone add a few grains specifically to compensate for these current temperatures?

Hodgden Extreme powders temp variance is nil. Same for IMR Enduron and some of the newer Reloader series (23 and 26 for sure). Meaning, not necessary. Ramshot powders fend the effects of cold quite well too.

The chrono, the rifle, and the ammo down @ the ambient temp you question is your only real source of truth.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hodgden Extreme powders temp variance is nil. Same for IMR Enduron and some of the newer Reloader series (23 and 26 for sure). Meaning, not necessary. Ramshot powders fend the effects of cold quite well too.

The chrono, the rifle, and the ammo down @ the ambient temp you question is your only real source of truth.

yep hodgden extreme are dang consistent from what i have seen

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Per RE's comment if you're not shooting one of the all weather powders, do you believe a couple extra grains could duplicate performance of "normal" temps?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
:D Correct. Rounds would have to be marked/set aside for a brutal day from the bench. As per Horsey that would be the real test. BTW, I'm not talking about exceeding max just pushing it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Per RE's comment if you're not shooting one of the all weather powders, do you believe a couple extra grains could duplicate performance of "normal" temps?

No, just read a review of R26. 70-0, @ 0 velocity increased to top end of STD deviation. No guessinn or theorizing. If you want a "cold weather" load, you gotta work it up in the cold with the chronograph.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This would kill my psyche if I pursued coyote. I guess I'd hold slightly high.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
This would kill my psyche if I pursued coyote. I guess I'd hold slightly high.

Then you'd shoot slightly high. You've got a mighty high opinion of your abilities if you think that under field conditions you can perceive a 100fps loss inside of 400.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do! I realize it's a failing personality trait. I don't like inconsistencies. I get your drift.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do! I realize it's a failing personality trait. I don't like inconsistencies. I get your drift.

That's an easy way to think yourself into a miss, or a missed opportunity arguing with yourself about all the variables.

Wind is an exponentially larger "X-Factor" than is cold ammo/cold air.

★★★★★ Legendary Member

A few grains to what, an already maximum load or close to max?

:D Correct. Rounds would have to be marked/set aside for a brutal day from the bench. As per Horsey that would be the real test. BTW, I'm not talking about exceeding max just pushing it.

What do you mean "push" it?

I'm asking these questions because people that don't load a lot or are new to it might take this the wrong way and blow up a gun or worse a piece of themselves off or even kill themselves.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
serious question - does the military have adjusted loads for extreme hot or cold???

i'm sure maybe the snipers adjust, but i'm talking regular 556..

- - - Updated - - -

I'm asking these questions because people that don't load a lot or are new to it might take this the wrong way and blow up a gun or worse a piece of themselves off or even kill themselves.

i used to load a lot b4 the chrono days, and never had best accuracy even 1/2 way up the chart... i loaded for accuracy...

also went prairie doggin a lot and really enjoyed shooting the tails off them or going low and making them do cartwheels...

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've shot exactly ONE "Hot" load in my entire shooting career and it was out of my 308 on the advice of an experienced loader. When all I could see was an orange blossom of flame through the scope and I almost lost hold of the gun, I decided that "Hot" loads were not for me. No coyote, deer, or other critter is worth me either breaking the gun, myself, or both. I'll stick with the known recipes and just shoot more. I won't be putting any extra grains in the brass regardless of the weather. I'm a "Fraidy Cat" that way.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

Up to SAAMI. My question was hypothetical for someone achieving a pet load to compensate for extreme low ambient temps. I believe Hors and Kurt understood the premise and answered me satisfactorily.

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do not add extra. The ammo companies do not make summer and winter ammo. Like summer and winter blend gasoline I believe is BS.

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Up to SAAMI. My question was hypothetical for someone achieving a pet load to compensate for extreme low ambient temps. I believe Hors and Kurt understood the premise and answered me satisfactorily.

I think they did understand what you meant. I thought that was what you meant but wanted to make sure. A new or inexperienced loader may not have, thats why I asked you for more info.

Sorry if I offended you.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88