Rotax Semisubmersible outboard

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does anybody have any thoughts on this new Rotax semi-submersible outboard? I can see some pros and cons of it. Could definitely add more area to fish from, but then again motor in the water..yikes. I also wonder what would happen if a guy would hit a log or sandbar. Current outboards can release the engine and let it pop up. Would this engine do the same and if so what’s above it to hit?

https://www.boatingmag.com/boats/brp-unveils-rotax-outboard-engine/

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the purpose for a submersible outboard??? Always trying to reinvent the mouse trap I guess.
It gives you a transom without a powerhead above it. Basically, just giving you an unobstructed view of where you've been.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It gives you a transom without a powerhead above it. Basically, just giving you an unobstructed view of where you've been.
Alumacraft put a casting deck above it. This concept just seems a little off. I would also think there would be additional stress on the transom with the weight shifted farther to the rear..but then again being that most of the engine is in the water it may negate that stress??

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Boy... This seems like an answer to a question nobody asked.
Lol kind of. I mean innovation and inventing can be a good thing..but it can also be a huge flop. I am thinking this is gonna be a flop. Who knows though.

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Netting fish with nothing in the way would be pretty awesome. I don't have the money to buy a $100,000+ boat but if I did I'd be waiting a couple years for them to sort the bugs out

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yeah that would be nice. Also
Netting fish with nothing in the way would be pretty awesome. I don't have the money to buy a $100,000+ boat but if I did I'd be waiting a couple years for them to sort the bugs out
moving from one side of the boat to the other with cranking rods out the back would be easier. I would still like to know what stress is put on that transom. Maybe that is why it only goes to 150hp?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
they move the pontoon plant to Mexico -- and basically tear apart these little toon makers in the US.

130k for a toon --- come on man.

3 toons and some plywood and custom furniture--- 130k-200k . Get real

Soon those mercs will all be made in China

The boat industry better take a real hard look at demographics of the buyer. In addition the competition as only the ones that will survive are the ones that build out of country. And that is sad too.

How can a boat be more expensive then a truck. I dont get it --- the little bit of engineering on a boat and motor vs a lot more on a car. Same with parts etc.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
they move the pontoon plant to Mexico -- and basically tear apart these little toon makers in the US.

130k for a toon --- come on man.

3 toons and some plywood and custom furniture--- 130k-200k . Get real

Soon those mercs will all be made in China

The boat industry better take a real hard look at demographics of the buyer. In addition the competition as only the ones that will survive are the ones that build out of country. And that is sad too.

How can a boat be more expensive then a truck. I dont get it --- the little bit of engineering on a boat and motor vs a lot more on a car. Same with parts etc.
Yup agreed, I won’t spend that type of money on a recreational vehicle. I hope people start buying more American made stuff in general. Wasn’t it John Deere that shipped some stuff to Mexico? Only way to get change in this aspect is with money..stop buying the stuff from China and Mexico and just maybe some of these executives will realize people prefer American made?…not all people though. ;)

leier12

Its an extremely dumb concept that will fail. Rotax aka evinrude is trying to reinvent the wheel and it will cost them yet again. If they would just come up with a 4 stroke outboard that works and comes in cheaper than yami and merc, like suzuki, they would take market share and be able to survive. Instead they came out with this monstrosity that is destined to fail. I read up on it and this was what they pushed their engineers to create, if they didnt like it or agree with it they got fired.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84