my friend says that if it’s a dandy and it’s sub 20 yds he’s just gonna send it

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
6A8171C9-0480-4EB2-A902-4920FBB202E0.jpeg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the deer only visited my friend’s blinds nocturnally sat-sun. it was very sad.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
No reason to shoot into their armor . Lost a big buck doing this once.

In the armor?

I'm not advocating taking a frontol shot, just saying it's fine with limitations.
There is a " pocket" in front that is a killer.
But it must be a quartering- to shot.
Also, I'd never take it with any expandable!

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Patience, grasshopper. There’s still 5 weeks of Archery season left. He has to wait for the right wrong shot.

If you remember from the first post - it started with a dream that may have come true “this weekend” - which was this last weekend.

At least I waited until after legal shooting hours to post that....

- - - Updated - - -

In the armor?

I'm not advocating taking a frontol shot, just saying it's fine with limitations.
There is a " pocket" in front that is a killer.
But it must be a quartering- to shot.
Also, I'd never take it with any expandable!

i would like to add to this that if you are shooting a lighter arrow set up with a low foc I wouldn’t do that shot. More arrow weight and higher foc is an important factor.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the frontal did present itself much like the dream (post 32) and it would have been an easy shot

But apparently my friend is a crappy dream deer scoring judge.

Sorry to have worried some of you unnecessarily.

- - - Updated - - -

My friend shoots a 70lb bow with fixed broadheads BTW. Has not invested the time/effort of moving to FOC arrows.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
from my little understanding with fixed head and a decent arrow your foc is probably good enough

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
the frontal did present itself much like the dream (post 32) and it would have been an easy shot

But apparently my friend is a crappy dream deer scoring judge.

Sorry to have worried some of you unnecessarily.

Your friend should spice up those dreams with some Ambien. The buck will be bigger and quartering away, but will publicly make racist, career-ending comments.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
so a 500ish grain arrow with a good fixed blade 125 or so and a 70 pound bow should blow through most any white tail shouldnt it

it should BUT there are a bunch of different arrows and combinations that build a “good” arrow that don’t result in passthrough shots or result in poor penetration.

it’s also why there are people posting (not here but on other sites) I hit a deer and only got 4 or 6 inches of penetration - what went wrong... type of posts.

- - - Updated - - -

Not everyone shoots full metal jacket arrows or the grizzly sticks or running heavier inserts.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't see a lot of 'armor' on the true frontal shot. None in fact, outside of those spindliest of ribs and cartilage. Why is a FOC arrow needed there???

If you miss off to the side on a true frontal you'll gimp the shoulder - but at that point I'm not sure the trajectory would have passed through vitals anyway on a true frontal?

Now quarterign toward on the other hand - that shoulder joint knuckle gives me trouble believing in it (see pic above). Which is why I asked about it earlier when it was mentioned but haven't read anything convincing that it's a good shot. That's a shot where it seems like a FOC/heavy arrow WOULD pay dividends (to reach vitals after striking bone).

I'm no expert in the matter but the physics seem pretty convincing that a decently placed true frontal is deadly with standard archery equipment.

bckhntr - what say you?

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's all about well placed arrow with enough ft/lbs to get penatration. Shot a deer in the hind quarter (I'd rather not talk about that) but ran in a circle for about 60 yards and died within 20 of my stand. I hit the main artery. I would never recomend shooting for arteries but a spot the size of a softball @20...yeah if your a decent shot.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
No armor? There front shoulders are armor. It’s a terrible shot to take especially on large bodied deer.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's all about well placed arrow with enough ft/lbs to get penatration. Shot a deer in the hind quarter (I'd rather not talk about that) but ran in a circle for about 60 yards and died within 20 of my stand. I hit the main artery. I would never recomend shooting for arteries but a spot the size of a softball @20...yeah if your a decent shot.

My friend placed 2nd at NDBA Broadhead (Buffalo Gap) and held a NDBA State indoor record for many years.

Of course that was in the 80's when it was just longbows and atlatls.

If the shot presents itself my friend is convinced he will take the shot. If he gimps it my friend will just never mention it to me and nobody will be the wiser.

- - - Updated - - -

No armor? There front shoulders are armor. It’s a terrible shot to take especially on large bodied deer.

That's the point - between the two shoulders - not at them.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
If there is any angle the front shot is too risky. Perfectly straight I could see but that’s a gamble.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 85
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31