frontal shots

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will it kill a deer? Yep! Is it the best option? Nope! Frontal shots regardless of weapon used, normally result in the gut cavity being perforated and many times the bullet or arrow ends up in the hams. Field dressing gut shot deer is distasteful to say the least and marinading the meat in gut contents isn't a good way to ensure top quality table fare either. It's a mess I avoid at all costs. I wait for a shot that doesn't involve anything behind the diaphragm. If someone decides to take a frontal shot, I rarely lend a hand during the field dressing. I figure if you "Have" to have that deer so bad you take a frontal shot on your own, you should also "Have" to deal with the consequences of taking that shot.........on your own.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Field dressing gut shot deer is distasteful to say the least and marinading the meat in gut contents isn't a good way to ensure top quality table fare either.
Opening up a gut shot cavity is enough to make a vegetarian drool. They would probably think it was one of those green smoothies.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
First buck I got with a bow was a frontal shot. He only went about 50 yards. Not the ideal shot but it can be done and make a quick clean kill.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
EFE312BD-5973-4D0B-8AF5-1AE4660FE417.jpeg
This is a little disturbing to see. I’d rather open up the gut shot deer.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
<20 frontal with a bow all depends on how good of shot and confident you are. If your a tack driving machine who practices an hour a day you wouldn't think twice about it. If you pick you bow up once a year to see if the pins are still on no way you should ethically take that shot.

Good luck. Hope "your friends dream" comes true

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd take that shot any day of the week. 2-4" above the brisket right at the base of the neck.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first bow deer kill was also a frontal shot. Worked well at the time, although I admit it probably was foolish. Piss, vinegar and a lot of adrenaline is what I'll account it to.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a little disturbing to see. I’d rather open up the gut shot deer.

these modern computers are amazing, when I scrolled by this pic I actually smelled a gut shot deer.... carry on

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
At that close a range, I wouldn't hesitate with a bow. I've done it once and had a buddy do it once where I was involved in the recovery. Both deer went less than 75 yards.

I should add both times were STRAIGHT on and with stout fixed blade heads. Any little quartering by the deer closes up the vitals pretty quickly with the sternum and shoulder.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shot piles of deer frontal with arrows.
That being said, a slight quartering too is better than straight on.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would agree with quartering away. Tuck it right behind the ribs. But, quartering towards, I am curious about target zone too.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be sure to post pics of buck carcass devoured by coyotes with broken arrow protruding from chest when you recover it next spring.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
No reason to shoot into their armor . Lost a big buck doing this once.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88