Rod Blanks

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know some on here have some custom rods or build their own rods. I am wondering what blank manufacturers you have used or know anything about.
In the walleye world itseems like most recommend St. Croix which makes sense, since they make a highquality blank, reviews are easy to find, and it easy to check one out in astore to see if it’s what you are looking for.

So past that, what otherblanks have you used for walleye rods?

North Fork Composites
Phenix
Rainshadow / Batson

I have no experience onany of the above, but it seems a lot of people place those manufactures aboveSt. Croix in general terms.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id like to know as well what are some good blanks.
I want to make my first rod and have no clue where to start.
would like to make a nice jigging rod

TVolkZV

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the phoenix blanks for my rods but they are pretty pricey for a solid blank i like the MHX blanks a pretty great bang for your buck blank

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the phoenix blanks for my rods but they are pretty pricey for a solid blank i like the MHX blanks a pretty great bang for your buck blank

Any details on the Phenix blanks you have? model number, technique used for, any comparisons on the action to other more well known rods?

TVolkZV

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have K2 6'8" fast action tx-682l-s i use for pitching smaller jigs at short distances and some vertical jigging (a touch long for vertical) the blank is incredibly light and sensitive i love this rod i have st croix 6'3" i didnt make it but other than the length i pick the k2 every time. i also made a K2 7'6" TX-765H acid wrap that i use for flipping weed edges with jig/plastic in the 3/4 to 1 oz range i have several other brands of rods for this tactic that do not come close to the K2 blank. a few blanks i will be buying this year will be their M1 series rods which i have made for friends but have not personally used yet

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like St. Croix, but you are paying for a name. The blank I've really fallen in love with and build most of my rods out of are MHX blanks made and sold by MudHole. They have lifetime warranties and I've had good luck with them honoring the warranty. They have two levels, the regular MHX and High Modulous. The HM models sell for $100-$120 and are as good at the St. Croix SCIV but at $50+ less. I've had good luck with Batson, Lamiglass, and a generic blank from Netcraft. I've built my leadcore rods (acid wraped and lets the line feed out nicely) out of Cabela's IM6 Steelhead blanks, but will try the MHX on my next trolling rods. I've made most of my ice rods out of Thorne Blanks, but again you're paying for a name. I've switched to the MHX Ice Blanks and love those!

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built 2 rods with MHX blanks. both are a 6.5 foot 2 piece medium/light fast action with recommended jig weight from 1/8 to 3/8 ounce. they are by far the most sensitive rods that my dad and I own. first fish I caught on it was a 5 pound walleye. I was throwing a storm swimbait from shore and felt very small taps then all hell broke loose. The rod had enough backbone to effectively fight the fish but was still sensitive enough to feel the slightest taps from the fish.

I would recommend the MHX blanks for a starter but once you get the feel for building rods and how you like your rods to perform you can test others and see what you like best

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
MHX here, also have found Batson to be a good blank. St. Droid is nice but come with a price tag as well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74