White Flies

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every year at Lake Metigoshe there is a hatch of white flies in the late spring. It has been going on for the last 2 weeks, but they have almost run their course. Here is a pic of what they look like. I've looked some on the internet but cannot find a match. Anyone know what they are?

White Flies.jpg

Why is the image so small? On my computer it is larger than the screen of my 17" laptop!

cpete00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hopefully that isn't your skin that those caddisflies are sitting on

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a job for KDM, he's buggier than anyone else I know or have ever heard about.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Every year at Lake Metigoshe there is a hatch of white flies in the late spring. It has been going on for the last 2 weeks, but they have almost run their course. Here is a pic of what they look like. I've looked some on the internet but cannot find a match. Anyone know what they are?

nxgnkHG.jpg

Why is the image so small? On my computer it is larger than the screen of my 17" laptop!

All images resized to fit.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree KDM could probably tell you atleast what Genus these bugs are, but I believe guy is correct in saying they are caddis.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks all Trichoptera to me. Wings held hood like over abdomen, long setaceous antenna, and the scope and timing of the adult emergence all point to Trichos. However, without a specimen or 5 to examine, it's just a guess. Some geometrids (if that is what you are referencing) do look like this, but their antenna are normally much much shorter and clavate. Also known as clubbed antenna.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76