Crazy Hunter Harassment Duck Hunting In North Dakota (Game Warden Involved!)

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Onx is using the best information they have available to them, it's the information they get and the gps in phones that have some error. It usually is pretty close but being on the wrong side of the property line is still trespassing if it is marked as such. Hunting antelope this year the gps in my phone wouldn't move to my current location no matter how many times i opened and closed the app. my location was miles off of where i actually was. Like i've mentioned i seen nothing wrong with what the hunters did, i would have moved the blind off the field edge a ways and apologized once confronted to give myself some leeway since i couldn't be positive of the property lines and would probably error on the side of caution then kept hunting. That is just me though.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i agree w/ guy on the onx thing. those maps are spot on. assuming the legal description in the county recorders database is correct, those maps should be as exact as it can get. now how accurate your gps is might be another thing. but, i feel mine is pretty accurate. much more so than the handhelds of 10 years ago.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
by the way, with things being so "on the edge", unless they can go back and pinpoint the exact spot this blind was and this farmer never works his field like i suspect he will, i don't see how they could possibly be convicted of trespassing even if the blind or grass from the blind... lol... was touching his corn. unless of course those beans were actually on the farmers land a few feet or yards and not vice versa. seems you would also need a survey if its that close. and then you still have the defense of relying on the best information available to you at the time. much like walking a fence line in the old days of no electronics. if the fence was off by a few feet, how the fuck are you supposed to know any better.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you are taking what I am saying wrong. I’m not coming from the practical as much so as the technical side of it. All I’m saying is we can’t be 100% positive they weren’t trespassing if they were on or near the line onX is saying. The landowner was a prick and approached it wrong but he also could have been correct in that they were trespassing. I never said they would be convicted or that they were for sure trespassing. Would you trust your phone or onX to use for building a fence on your property line. What’s your definition of nuts on for onX, less than an inch, less than a foot, or less than ten feet. Anyway you cut it if they were on his side of the property line even if walking behind the blind it was trespassing.

feather_duster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you are taking what I am saying wrong. I’m not coming from the practical as much so as the technical side of it. All I’m saying is we can’t be 100% positive they weren’t trespassing if they were on or near the line onX is saying. The landowner was a prick and approached it wrong but he also could have been correct in that they were trespassing. I never said they would be convicted or that they were for sure trespassing. Would you trust your phone or onX to use for building a fence on your property line. What’s your definition of nuts on for onX, less than an inch, less than a foot, or less than ten feet. Anyway you cut it if they were on his side of the property line even if walking behind the blind it was trespassing.
Your posts today have been so dumb you're actually making Farmer Jeff look intelligent

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can trust it and rely on it all you want, doesn't mean it is right. Land you own is no different on your lot in town or 2,000 acres in the country, you can't treat it any differently. All i'm saying is the hunters didn't know for positive whos land they were on if they were only going off of onx. Drive highway 200 by arroda lakes and look at that sign along the highway. How would you feel if you were that landowner.
Post a pic of the sign.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your posts today have been so dumb you're actually making Farmer Jeff look intelligent
I’m glad that you feel that way and I will take your opinion to heart and do my best to increase my intelligence but nothing you have provide disputes what I am saying. I would at least appreciate a discussion back on what I said that is wrong.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
sorry, ty. my post wasn't necessarily even directed at you. i was just thinking out loud.
No worries, I love onX for what it is and I trust the gps side of it a little less than most. My job requires me to survey stuff under an inch sometimes so my definition of gps accuracy is different than others and when I worry about property lines being right it’s because it’s my ass on the line if they are wrong.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if onx says that your tree that is next to your neighbors property is on the neighbors property they can cut it down or if there is a deer on the opposite side of the fence but onx says it is on the other landowners land are you going to shoot it?
Yep - I'd cut that tree I'm that confident. : )

On the deer shooting thing - no, but only because I wouldn't want an argument or unnecessarily angry neighbor landowners, not because I thought onx might be wrong. The fence is likely wrong.

Silly thing is absolutely uncanny how it lines up with pins in my yard (and who knows if they're actually in the right spot).

2022-10-26 11.28.09.png

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get it Ty - onx isn't infallible - no way I'd trust it for surveying. It's almost always withing a foot or two of on the mark when I've checked it vs "gold standard" (survey pins, etc.)

Fences (older ones) are almost always 5-10 ft off of the true property line out west. Sometimes 200 ft.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
On X is all hunters have to go off of. No game warden is going to require you to get a survey done. Game wardens also rely on OnX to know if you are trespassing. There is a reason these guys were not fined for trespassing! It’s not trespassing unless you can prove they intended and were actually trespassing.
You might want to check the fine print on the onX Terms of use before you get yourself in trouble.

(c) ALL CONTENT MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICE IS MADE AVAILABLE FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR CONFIRMING THE ACCURACY OF ALL INFORMATION BEFORE TAKING OR OMITTING ANY ACTION. ALWAYS OBEY PROPERTY LINE POSTINGS AND USE COMMON SENSE IN VISUALLY VERIFYING BOUNDARIES, ROADS AND PATHS. DO NOT USE THE SERVICE FOR ANY PURPOSE REQUIRING PRECISE DIRECTION, DISTANCE OR LOCATION.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
onx.PNG

It may just be the background photo is off here but oliver county is where i have seen most of my issues and spend a lot of my time so that could just be poor information given to onx from the county.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
No one is setting up a Kool-Aid stand in your back yard, so we sure don't need to compare a guy out hunting a quarter of land as being the same as the guy in town not wanting some kids making a few bucks setting up a stand on his boulevard.

This POS farmer is unhinged and at some point someone is going to get killed over this idiot. Who goes in loaded for bear and acts this way right off the bat? Guy just took 10 years off his life for no fucking reason whatsoever.

Makes me want to go to this very area and force this guys head to literally explode with a mild and legal bit of my shenanigans.

feather_duster

Founding Member
Founding Member
No one is setting up a Kool-Aid stand in your back yard, so we sure don't need to compare a guy out hunting a quarter of land as being the same as the guy in town not wanting some kids making a few bucks setting up a stand on his boulevard.

This POS farmer is unhinged and at some point someone is going to get killed over this idiot. Who goes in loaded for bear and acts this way right off the bat? Guy just took 10 years off his life for no fucking reason whatsoever.

Makes me want to go to this very area and force this guys head to literally explode with a mild and legal bit of my shenanigans.
Louder for the people in the back...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get it Ty - onx isn't infallible - no way I'd trust it for surveying. It's almost always withing a foot or two of on the mark when I've checked it vs "gold standard" (survey pins, etc.)

Fences (older ones) are almost always 5-10 ft off of the true property line out west. Sometimes 200 ft.

Yep, I know of several places out in the Badlands and even up in Mountrail County where fencelines and roads went along the path of least resistance. Basically, fencelines are a very poor thing to use as a property boundary in really rough country. Or, for that matter, state boundaries. Unless there's something in the law that specifically covers this, there are places along the MN/ND border where the river has moved enough to put a part of Minnesota west of the Red River, and other locations where parts of ND are east of the river. It's always intrigued me with the thought of standing on the west side of the Red and shooting a deer on the east side with a ND tag.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gam
You might want to check the fine print on the onX Terms of use before you get yourself in trouble.

(c) ALL CONTENT MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICE IS MADE AVAILABLE FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR CONFIRMING THE ACCURACY OF ALL INFORMATION BEFORE TAKING OR OMITTING ANY ACTION. ALWAYS OBEY PROPERTY LINE POSTINGS AND USE COMMON SENSE IN VISUALLY VERIFYING BOUNDARIES, ROADS AND PATHS. DO NOT USE THE SERVICE FOR ANY PURPOSE REQUIRING PRECISE DIRECTION, DISTANCE OR LOCATION.
Game Wardens accept it as proof you were not trespassing. They use it themselves. I’m not relying on OnX to be liable. If it is wrong then no one gets in trouble anyways.

Maybe someone should ask your local warden what they think!

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
onx.PNG

It may just be the background photo is off here but oliver county is where i have seen most of my issues and spend a lot of my time so that could just be poor information given to onx from the county.
Background photos are off all the time, you need to trust the GPS, not the imagery. The lines are based off surveyed GPS points.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Background photos are off all the time, you need to trust the GPS, not the imagery. The lines are based off surveyed GPS points.
Then the surveyor that staked my in-laws property didn’t know what the hell he was doing because onX was way off. I always thought they got the info from the counties and state gis database. Lots of property corners and section corners have never been surveyed with modern equipment

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 205
  • This month: 173
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 59