Crazy Hunter Harassment Duck Hunting In North Dakota (Game Warden Involved!)

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gam

Game Wardens accept it as proof you were not trespassing. They use it themselves. I’m not relying on OnX to be liable. If it is wrong then no one gets in trouble anyways.

Maybe someone should ask your local warden what they think!
You act as you have direct knowledge of where this occurred why not post the onx location as your so called proof they were not on his land.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
DD3AA4D0-5DA4-49A9-9445-E6A24CB5E5CC.png
I don’t think I was to far off on saying onX isn’t perfect in their property lines and while it is great guidance it isn’t perfect and I don’t feel it should ever be used for proving you are 6” or a foot on the other side of a property line. It can for sure help your argument but unless there is known property corners and line neither you nor the landowner know where the line actually is.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sure hope no one is ever, and I mean ever walking on the sidewalk in front of my home and steps unto my lawn, for any reason whatsoever, I will come uncorked, and possibly blow 4 blood vessels in my big fat mongoloid head screaming for what will likely be hours at them. They have no right to touch my grass, its trespassing, and will be the biggest ordeal in my entire life, likely causing a stroke, but I will be right, and that is more important than anything.

Remember its nice to be important, however its more important to be nice.

I really pity this insane clown, and what his family must have to deal with iffn they spill the milk.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
DD3AA4D0-5DA4-49A9-9445-E6A24CB5E5CC.png
I don’t think I was to far off on saying onX isn’t perfect in their property lines and while it is great guidance it isn’t perfect and I don’t feel it should ever be used for proving you are 6” or a foot on the other side of a property line. It can for sure help your argument but unless there is known property corners and line neither you nor the landowner know where the line actually is.
Legally the only thing that is legitimate is an actual survey. No one is debating that. OnX is the best tool we have as hunters to know where we are legally able to hunt. Unless it is a blatant error where a whole quarter is wrong no one in the law enforcement field is going to bother you about being a couple feet on either side of a boundary if the tool you are using says you are legal. It’s not like people are hunting on the posted side of a fence line. Game wardens have better thing to deal with than bothering someone about a couple feet!

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
You act as you have direct knowledge of where this occurred why not post the onx location as your so called proof they were not on his land.
These kids did have OnX on their phones and showed the game warden. If they were able to prove they were trespassing then they would have been ticketed. The kids kept on hunting too so they must have been legal according to the game warden! That kids grandpa was surprisingly calm during this ordeal, my Gpa would have kicked his ass if I wouldn’t hold him back.

What proof did this landowner have?!?!? Crop rows? I’d put my money on OnX over crop rows!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Then the surveyor that staked my in-laws property didn’t know what the hell he was doing because onX was way off. I always thought they got the info from the counties and state gis database. Lots of property corners and section corners have never been surveyed with modern equipment

Hasn't been that many years ago (ok, probably 16 or 17 years ago) a well-known developer in the Bismarck area platted a development in the rural Bismarck area and messed up the property lines something fierce. At least one person ended up needing to sell some of their land to their neighbor because 2 ft of their neighbor's garage and driveway was on their property.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sure hope no one is ever, and I mean ever walking on the sidewalk in front of my home and steps unto my lawn, for any reason whatsoever, I will come uncorked, and possibly blow 4 blood vessels in my big fat mongoloid head screaming for what will likely be hours at them. They have no right to touch my grass, its trespassing, and will be the biggest ordeal in my entire life, likely causing a stroke, but I will be right, and that is more important than anything.

Remember its nice to be important, however its more important to be nice.

I really pity this insane clown, and what his family must have to deal with iffn they spill the milk.
Hopefully I can put this to rest on what i'm saying and unwind some peoples panties from a bunch. I am open to a discussion debating anything I have said and since i feel you keep directing this at me, which i could be wrong about i'm just going to reply to you.
1. never once did i say i agreed with the way this a-hole handled the situation or did i ever say he was right in what he did or that the kids were trespassing. I actually said i would have hunted the same way the hunters were.
2. trespassing is trespassing whether it is one foot or a hundred and once again i never said they did trespass. I don't think that is debatable, but what is debatable is how a person handles it. Once again i never said he acted appropriately, and if someone trespass on your lawn you have every right to yell and scream and blow your top or not say anything at all and smile and wave.
3. I stated onx is not the end all be all accuracy everyone wants to claim on property lines, i deal with surveying for my job and onx claims 5-10' accuracy generally, could be better could be worse. It is of my opinion that if you wouldn't trust it for your lot boundary for a fence or anything like that you shouldn't trust it for hunting on the gnats ass edge of a property.

Hopefully i can have a legit discussion on if what i am saying is wrong or if it is just that you don't disagree. Maybe i typed something that came across differently than i meant, i would actually appreciate a debate rather than just being called an unintelligent a-hole like someone else has called me. i will be interested to see if he gets hunter harassment charges as i think it would be tough to prove they were or were not trespassing without a professional survey.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wait, what!?!?!? The standard has been reversed to where one now has to prove themselves innocent as opposed to being proven guilty?

Whoa! That's not cool.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Background photos are off all the time, you need to trust the GPS, not the imagery. The lines are based off surveyed GPS points.

That is completely incorrect. The information they are using is simply public domain information from a conglomeration of county data bases, typically the tax or property management GIS data base of the respective county and some are much better than others. Those data bases are often times simply drafted from paper plats or meets and bounds descriptions to best fit because without survey many of those do not close, and the majority of that data base will have little in the way of actual survey information tied to it.

I use OnX regularly and think it's a wonderful resource and tool. I however wouldn't hang my hat on the accuracy as mentioned several times in this thread. I just wanted to reitereate that OnX is only using publicly available data and that data is not survey grade accuracy.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
If onyx is questionable for accuracy and the only sure way to know where property lines are is to have a professional survey done, then online posting of land should not be allowed as a farmers or ranchers could be "posting" land that they do not own, which is illegal.
Get rid of this nonsense online posting!!!

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
If onyx is questionable for accuracy and the only sure way to know where property lines are is to have a professional survey done, then online posting of land should not be allowed as a farmers or ranchers could be "posting" land that they do not own, which is illegal.
Fair warning I’m not a fan of electronic posting but Just some information on that, online posting has to do with the legal description of the land. Which if I own the SW1/4 of sec 20, t141n, r84w that is the legal description and is what is electronically posted as in you cannot hunt that quarter section without permission. Just because the online apps don’t match the the lines perfectly mean nothing when it comes to property boundary for posting. The only time this becomes an issue is when dealing with pissed off landowners and hunting right on the edge, which I can’t imagine this didn’t happen before sometimes with quarter lines and other trails.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
That is completely incorrect. The information they are using is simply public domain information from a conglomeration of county data bases, typically the tax or property management GIS data base of the respective county and some are much better than others. Those data bases are often times simply drafted from paper plats or meets and bounds descriptions to best fit because without survey many of those do not close, and the majority of that data base will have little in the way of actual survey information tied to it.

I use OnX regularly and think it's a wonderful resource and tool. I however wouldn't hang my hat on the accuracy as mentioned several times in this thread. I just wanted to reitereate that OnX is only using publicly available data and that data is not survey grade accuracy.
Correct. this information is provided by county tax records, metes and bounds, etc. Not within a state plane coordinate system which would make it much more accurate. The imagery is scaled/fits but ultimately needs to be survey grade before can be certain of its accuracy.. Thanks for posting, you explained this much better than I would've.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Early in my career I used to do permitting for large transmission line projects and worked closely with right of way agents.. Lets just say, its amazing how many property lines we re-defined for landowners throughout the states.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14