Bringing back wild bison

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go out to the badlands and shoot one. when they are out of the park they are fair game. The G&F don’t regulate them because they aren’t considered a game animal. If they have no brand, ear tags, or other type of identification then they are yours. My brother shot one a few years ago. Personally I wouldn’t waste my time. They taste like shit.
i wasn’t aware of this. I’d love to hunt and eat a wild bison. But this isn’t a long term solution, just a pin-prick loophole

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Skeeter:

Did not know that one could shoot one in the badlands.
Hope to soon get my Model 1 Ruger in 300 Weatherby and try that 1000 yard shot this summer. Wanted a 45-70 but a 10-foot drop at 500 yards, I think that will not work. Are you sure on this? Do not want a visit from a warden. db
It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. You do your own research, I’m just saying what my take and experience was. In the nineties when I lived back there, I got to be drinking buddies with a couple of park rangers from medora. They shoot them ugly beasts in the park like we shoot stray cats. Any problem ones or sick ones just get herded to an out of view place and shot.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go out to the badlands and shoot one. when they are out of the park they are fair game. The G&F don’t regulate them because they aren’t considered a game animal. If they have no brand, ear tags, or other type of identification then they are yours. My brother shot one a few years ago. Personally I wouldn’t waste my time. They taste like shit.
Buffalo chips do not taste like chips and should not be eaten

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
"wild" bison roaming the prairies unpenned in the upper midwest is a very bad idea mmckaay....

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Google American Prairie Reserve.
They are establishing genetically pure bison herds near the Missouri river Breaks in Montana.
They are pissing off a lot of the "locals" by buying land via deep out of state checkbooks. Of course, most of these pissed off locals are the same ones crying about maintaining their "property rights" when anything related to corner crossing or stream access comes around. But heaven forbid a willing landowner sells his property for over market value to a willing buyer...cause apparently that has nothing to do with "personal property rights". :rolleyes:
A majority if the land is enrolled in MTFWP Block management and allows public access.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What would it take?

I mean, a guy could just buy some bison and let them go, roaming the countryside as feral beasts to reinhabit the landscape. It would obviously piss of landowners and farmers, and justifiably so. If there aren’t laws against it you can guaran-dam-tee our septuagenarian legislature would make laws against it and landowners/law enforcers would be given the authority to euthanize the “abandoned” animals.

I suppose a guy could slowly acquire A LOT of land and start populating his own property with bison, but the legal system would view those animals as private livestock.

I want a world where bison roam freely like other game animals and can be hunted by the general public. How does one make it happen on a broad scale? You need to start convincing landowners to take down fences, that’s for sure.
Would be nice, put damn diseases they get ranchers would be mad.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep number one reason bison are not free roaming animals in the states is because they carry diseases that ranchers vaccinate for. And also barb wire fencing does not work on bison especially if they need to roam for their food.
I shared an article on the Yellowstone bison as why ranchers hated them as a free roaming animal.
Would be nice, put damn diseases they get ranchers would be mad.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep number one reason bison are not free roaming animals in the states is because they carry diseases that ranchers vaccinate for. And also barb wire fencing does not work on bison especially if they need to roam for their food.
I shared an article on the Yellowstone bison as why ranchers hated them as a free roaming animal.
If they're vaccinated, what's the problem? ;)

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Bison in Yellowstone National Park have Brucellosis and are not vaccinated. It is the very last remaining reservoir of this disease in all of North America.

Bob Kellam years ago on nodakouthouse used to debate it is not the fault of the Bison, white man brought Brucellosis over from Europe. My argument was white man also brought smallpox which has been vaccinated out.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to hijack this thread......should I get vaccinated against Covid or not? I have yet to get it and do not have any vaccine to this point.

FYI.....my decision doesn't actually depend on your opinion lol

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to hijack this thread......should I get vaccinated against Covid or not? I have yet to get it and do not have any vaccine to this point.

FYI.....my decision doesn't actually depend on your opinion lol
…and no, don’t be stupid. Your blood is now valuable and your semen is worth its weight in gold. Within a couple years you’ll be buying a sparkly boat with your seed money. Thank me later.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75