Pittbull breed, what do you think?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about being accountable for your dog that would be a good start. Letting dogs run around loose in a public setting is looking for trouble. Its like taking your kid to the bar and being pissed people are swearing around them. No one can ever point out an incident where the owner is not the cause
The issue is, people let dogs run loose, or powerful dogs even over-power their owners. Then that dog comes tearing down the street and attacks my kid in my front yard. I have nightmares about this shit. Should people have to keep their pets and kids indoors?

I agree with you, that a lot of these situations come from negligent owners. But if people didn't have these big powerful animals, then these things couldn't happen. I think it differs from firearms, in that even if guns were made illegal, criminals would still have them. The argument could be made, that if ALL guns were removed from the face of the earth, then there'd be no more shootings. I understand that. it's just not feasible. And people use guns to hunt too.

But this isn't about gun control. It's about bad things happening when people have large or powerful or aggressive animals. People always say the same thing. "My dog would never do something like that". And it's true, until it isn't true.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
The issue is, people let dogs run loose, or powerful dogs even over-power their owners. Then that dog comes tearing down the street and attacks my kid in my front yard. I have nightmares about this shit. Should people have to keep their pets and kids indoors?

I agree with you, that a lot of these situations come from negligent owners. But if people didn't have these big powerful animals, then these things couldn't happen. I think it differs from firearms, in that even if guns were made illegal, criminals would still have them. The argument could be made, that if ALL guns were removed from the face of the earth, then there'd be no more shootings. I understand that. it's just not feasible. And people use guns to hunt too.

But this isn't about gun control. It's about bad things happening when people have large or powerful or aggressive animals. People always say the same thing. "My dog would never do something like that". And it's true, until it isn't true.
Also guns dont kill people, people kill people.... the same cannot be said for dogs...

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One could make the argument that if I were to leave a gun "unleashed" it could by no way I know of run out on it's own and shoot someone.

Dogs are a bit different. I can see the comparison a bit with guns and dogs but dogs do have a mind of their own. Guns are strictly a tool.

I'd be willing to bet that video was a setup. Yes, it looks scary and the chick in the vid does a good job of helping that. The video was by no mean a spur of the moment, unplanned situation. IMO

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Then attacks should either result in the owner getting charged with attempted murder or settled in civil court. Civil court negotiations are up to the person/family attacked. I get whatever financial compensation I want if you dog attacks my kid, you can accept those terms or you can sit in the pokey for attempted murder. No more judges deciding what my child's life is worth because of someone else's irresponsibility. Same if it kills someone. Owner should be charged with murder.

If the dog shits in public and it's not cleaned up, the owner gets charged with indecent exposure. If someone's dog is in my yard, I can charge the owner with trespassing. If a dog comes in my yard and wrecks my shit, the owner gets the misdemeanor for vandalism. I think you guys get the point here......

That would hopefully get people to step up to the plate and have a little self responsibility and think twice when picking out their mut or keeping in on a leash/in their own damn yard. I'm sure there are numerous responsible owners that would agree with me.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Where do you draw the line at what dog is ok to own. Labs are the 9th deadliest dog according to dogbite.org. Huskies are the deadliest dogs to infants in the last 15 years. I just had to help a buddy who has one of those neurotic bastards with possession issues and it seem to be a trait when talking to other people who have dealt with them. Even though he made the problem worse by letting it slide as a puppy. I think there needs to be consequences for people who own any dog that attacks others or other dogs breed with standing stiff and they need to be enforced to the max extent. My biggest bitch is people not being held accountable. I have little time or patience for ill mannered dogs of any kind and the dog isnt born that way 99% of the time they are made that way by owners

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Then attacks should either result in the owner getting charged with attempted murder or settled in civil court. Civil court negotiations are up to the person/family attacked. I get whatever financial compensation I want if you dog attacks my kid, you can accept those terms or you can sit in the pokey for attempted murder. No more judges deciding what my child's life is worth because of someone else's irresponsibility. Same if it kills someone. Owner should be charged with murder.

If the dog shits in public and it's not cleaned up, the owner gets charged with indecent exposure. If someone's dog is in my yard, I can charge the owner with trespassing. If a dog comes in my yard and wrecks my shit, the owner gets the misdemeanor for vandalism. I think you guys get the point here......

That would hopefully get people to step up to the plate and have a little self responsibility and think twice when picking out their mut or keeping in on a leash/in their own damn yard. I'm sure there are numerous responsible owners that would agree with me.

I 100% agree with every thing you said.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
No one can ever point out an incident where the owner is not the cause

Since I am a strict liability kind of guy, that statement rings true with me. In this example though, one of the dogs was not being a problem. I don't immediately have an issue with an unleashed pet unless it displays bad behavior, such as this pit. The fault wouldn't change at all in my world if Lycan's dog had been on a leash. It wasn't the problem and I doubt having his dog on a leash would have prevented the pit from attacking. Leashes can prevent your dog from attacking, but they have no control over the other person's dog.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep I agree if you leave your guns in a place that is easily accessible to anyone other then yourself you should be held accountable if those weapon were used to harm another human. Dog owners regardless of the breed should face the same situation as a gun owner, for instance more people are being arrested for unintentionally leaving their sleeping baby in a car seat to later find that the baby has died. At one time not so long ago it was considered a tragic mistake and prosecutor believed it was unintentionally done and didn't feel it was worth going after the parent now it is. Hold irresponsible people accountable for their stupidity 🙄

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if I take my dog to the dog park to play fetch in the winter and he gets attacked by another dog it's my fault?
I could see if you live in new york city but living out here there is never a reason to go to a dog park. Its like a mingling ground for the most miss behaved hooligan dogs in the world. Never has anyone who is any one that knows dogs said lets let a bunch of strange dogs run around together. Even new dogs brought in for training are properly introduced to the other dogs before going out in the airing yard together to run around.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nobody has these problems with cats.....
Not so fast my friend it seems the kitty cats do a fair amount of damage. haha

• There are an estimated 400,000 cat bites each year;
  • An estimated 66,000 hospital emergency visits each year are due to cat bites; and
  • In 2009, there were 81 rabies cases from dogs, but 300 rabies cases from cats. What this means is that cats were three times more likely to be rabid than dogs that year.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Other than the goldfish gulping incident of 39 i think they are a safe bet. Not so much for the person cleaning the toilet the next day

1939: The Year of Goldfish Gulping​

AMELIA MEYERFEBRUARY 9, 2012
2more free articles this monthAlready a subscriber? Sign in
Thank you for reading The Atlantic.
Enjoy unlimited access to all of our journalism.
Subscribe Now
  • Link Copied
6a00e553a80e1088340148c78c4c39970c-800wi.gif
It started out with one. One live goldfish, swallowed up by a Harvard freshman on a dare. Three weeks later it rose to three, and four days after that it jumped to 24. By the end of April 1939, the record for the number of goldfish swallowed stood at 101. Students at colleges across the country -- the University of Michigan, Boston College, New Mexico State, among others -- had popularized a quest to see how many goldfish a single person could eat in one sitting.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Other than the goldfish gulping incident of 39 i think they are a safe bet. Not so much for the person cleaning the toilet the next day

1939: The Year of Goldfish Gulping​

AMELIA MEYERFEBRUARY 9, 2012
2more free articles this monthAlready a subscriber? Sign in
Thank you for reading The Atlantic.
Enjoy unlimited access to all of our journalism.
Subscribe Now
  • Link Copied
6a00e553a80e1088340148c78c4c39970c-800wi.gif
It started out with one. One live goldfish, swallowed up by a Harvard freshman on a dare. Three weeks later it rose to three, and four days after that it jumped to 24. By the end of April 1939, the record for the number of goldfish swallowed stood at 101. Students at colleges across the country -- the University of Michigan, Boston College, New Mexico State, among others -- had popularized a quest to see how many goldfish a single person could eat in one sitting.
Oh so we didn't need tik tok after all to do stupid dares

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fault wouldn't change at all in my world if Lycan's dog had been on a leash. It wasn't the problem and I doubt having his dog on a leash would have prevented the pit from attacking. Leashes can prevent your dog from attacking, but they have no control over the other person's dog.
^^^^ This.

Also - why has nobody given lyc grief for not immediately deploying the Anus Interruptus maneuver???

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^ This.

Also - why has nobody given lyc grief for not immediately deploying the Anus Interruptus maneuver???
That whole "up the butt Bob" thing makes me cringe a bit. Doesn't going knuckle deep require a unique workout regiment or something?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 158
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79