Noem under fire...

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Gov. Kristi Noem, R-S.D., is facing criticism from some of her home state Freedom Caucus members who say Noem's office has "overstepped" its constitutional authority by circumventing part of the legislative process. One state lawmaker said it could complicate a presidential bid for her in 2024.

The issue came to a head last week when the state's Department of Labor and Regulations introduced two bills with the Commerce and Energy Committee without any legislative sponsor. The chairman of that committee, instead of first putting the measure to a committee vote, simply sent the bill to the House floor for a full vote without committee consent."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/kr...erstepping-south-dakota-constitutional-limits

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh the humanity, they submitted a bill without committee consent, when will the madness end!!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh the humanity, they submitted a bill without committee consent, when will the madness end!!
AND without a sponsor... The executive branch shouldnt be making laws, that can end in a very bad place.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
AND without a sponsor... The executive branch shouldnt be making laws, that can end in a very bad place.

I don't interpret this as the executive branch making laws, they only proposed it to the legislature.

Granted, I do get why people would be upset about them ignoring the need for a sponsor in a state legislature. I think the proper response would be to either have someone step up from the legislature to sponsor it, or to throw it out because it doesn't have a sponsor. I mean really, what are the chances of something passing if it can't even attract a sponsor?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahh...define making laws....anyone can write up a bill.... All this sponsor and committee is all BS.....It still takes a VOTE OF ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES in both the state house and senate!!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Noem has lost me. No matter the circumstance, she finds ways to push her agenda and get what she wants. You’ve got to be willing to work through the process, rather than find constant work arounds. That’s why a legislature who is 90% Republican and very conservative doesn’t really get along with her. She barely won 4 years ago and only won by 10 points against a nobody this term in a republican dominated state. She’s pushed too far and had alienated many in her own party. Sounds all too familiar? She can get things done and has great qualities, but I’m not sure she has the wheels under her anymore for a big ticket run. It’s to the point for many in SD that she represents the swamp.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Noem has lost me. No matter the circumstance, she finds ways to push her agenda and get what she wants. You’ve got to be willing to work through the process, rather than find constant work arounds. That’s why a legislature who is 90% Republican and very conservative doesn’t really get along with her. She barely won 4 years ago and only won by 10 points against a nobody this term in a republican dominated state. She’s pushed too far and had alienated many in her own party. Sounds all too familiar? She can get things done and has great qualities, but I’m not sure she has the wheels under her anymore for a big ticket run. It’s to the point for many in SD that she represents the swamp.
I agree, I like some things about her but there is a feeling I get like she believes she is above the system, and she could progress to be a little too dictatorial or authoritarian if she had the means. I hope trump doesnt grab her as a running mate because Trump himself is a bit extreme, and it would be great to have someone who would appeal more to the moderates who the democrats are pushing away, like Tulsi possibly.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76