Constitutional Carry

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member

Saw this in the Inforum.

A gun rights supporter carries his Ruger model SR9 pistol on his hip in Romulus, Michigan April 27, 2014. Rebecca Cook / REUTERS

[h=1]North Dakota will debate 'constitutional carry' legislation In 2017[/h]By Rob Port / Forum News Service Today at 2:48 p.m.

opinion Fargo,ND 58102 http://www.inforum.com/sites/defaul.../image/concealedcarry0407_2.jpg?itok=MlhqvSh6 Rob Port / Forum News Service
INFORUM http://www.inforum.com
North Dakota will debate 'constitutional carry' legislation In 2017
Fargo ND 101 5th Street North 58102

Last week, Mississippi became the 9th state in the union to embrace what gun rights proponents call “constitutional carry,” or the right to carry lawfully-owned guns concealed without a permit.

North Dakota lawmakers are already talking about following suit ahead of their 2017 session which will begin in January after the November elections.
On Twitter, State Rep. Roscoe Streyle, a Republican from Minot, applauded Mississippi’s move and said North Dakota should do the same.
Responding to Streyle, state Rep. Rick Becker – who will represent his Bismarck-area district in the Legislature after losing his gubernatorial bid at the NDGOP state convention earlier this month – said he’s already got legislation in the works with Legislative Council.

Legislative Council are the attorneys for the Legislature, and they typically draft the bills lawmakers introduce.
I spoke with Becker about the legislation, and he said it’s an important issue for our state.
“A Constitutional Carry law removes the restrictions that are an impediment to ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed’ clearly stated in the Second Amendment,” he told me.
During the 2015 session lawmakers expanded where concealed carry permit holders could bear their arms.
HB1241, introduced by Streyle, removed political rallies or functions, musical concerts, publicly owned parks and publicly owned rest areas or restrooms from the list of places where guns are prohibited. Also the ban on guns in churches was dropped, giving the churches themselves the ability to set their own policy regarding guns.

It passed in the state Senate on a 45-2 vote and in the state House on a 74-19 vote.
Port, founder of sayanythingblog.com, a North Dakota political blog, is a Forum Communications commentator.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
what does lawfully owned guns mean? just curious what the definition is.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
as you are, I'm ultra pro-gun. call me crazy, but I want some sort of requirement. there are a lot of losers that even tho they're losers, they follow the rules MOST of the time. now picture all these losers packing heat because the rules say they can.........

I think we should do what SD does. not exactly sure how it goes, but something like, they have to go to their county courthouse, pay five bucks, and get a license on the spot after passing a quick background check. don't quote me on that, (someone from SD chime in plz) but at least it's SOMETHING to weed the laziest of the losers out.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
as you are, I'm ultra pro-gun. call me crazy, but I want some sort of requirement. there are a lot of losers that even tho they're losers, they follow the rules MOST of the time. now picture all these losers packing heat because the rules say they can.........

I think we should do what SD does. not exactly sure how it goes, but something like, they have to go to their county courthouse, pay five bucks, and get a license on the spot after passing a quick background check. don't quote me on that, (someone from SD chime in plz) but at least it's SOMETHING to weed the laziest of the losers out.

Would you be as concerned if conceal carry permit laws never existed and everyone was able to conceal a weapon without a permit?

- - - Updated - - -

Would you be as concerned if conceal carry permit laws never existed and everyone was able to conceal a weapon without a permit?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
In SD you go ask the sheriff for one be gives it to you. Then you get a laminated one mailed to you.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is dumb. Why not just admit that all the gun control laws are unconstitutional and let citizens decide for themselves if they want to carry concealed or not. For what it's worth, if you are exercising your Constitutional right to keep and bear arms you shouldn't be afraid if losers/criminals/thugs/pugs/dimwits/nitwits/halfwits (Think Blazing Saddles Here) are carrying a gun or not. YOU ARE!!

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
About time, it is so stupid to have to jump through hoops to carry a gun I legally purchased. If it's concealed in my truck or on me you should never know. And it shouldn't be anyone's business.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just picked up another cc gun, it's my smallest, but still a .40 and not tiny. I don't carry one on me often, but always have one in my vehicles, boat, camper, bike, ranger, or whatever I might be in at the time.

God created all men, Samuel colt made them all equal...

Not a paronoid fella, but prepared if needed. Just like caring a wallet, might not need cash, but never know

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a related note, CO seems to finally be figuring things out a little too late.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/04/18/colorado-repealing-magazine-ban/

[h=1]Colorado Repealing Magazine Ban[/h]The Colorado Senate has been busy in a good way for firearm enthusiasts. This Tuesday, April 12th Senate Bill 113 was put to a vote and passed 20-13. What SB 113 will do for Colorado residents is eliminate the 15-Round magazinecapacity limit.
Some of you might be familiar with this poorly-crafted law from 2013. It is the exact reason why Magpul took its company’s headquarters to Texas, and Texas was happy to accept them. They didn’t exit their home state without a fight though. In a phenomenal act of defiance they sold limited edition magazine packs to fund efforts to stop the bill. Magpul has since gone on to grow their company and product offerings significantly while Colorado lost a lot of tax money from a firearms industry icon.
Magpul Limited Edition “Free Colorado” Magazines

In order to make SB 113 official law it must now be passed in the Colorado House. Right now it needs to be sent to a committee referral before anything else. At some point in the future it will come to a vote, and residents of the state and all others watching can only hope it passes the House as well.
The National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) has already been helping with the push to make this become law. It would be a tremendous victory if the 15-Round magazine capacity limit were to be lifted.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 2nd amendment has been trampled on long enough. Shall not be infringed, needs to be taken seriously. And it doesn't say anything about a "gun" it says arms. If I want to own a tank, cannon, grenade launcher... I should be able too.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
just because you pass a background check today don't mean you will tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

The 2nd amendment has been trampled on long enough. Shall not be infringed, needs to be taken seriously. And it doesn't say anything about a "gun" it says arms. If I want to own a tank, cannon, grenade launcher... I should be able too.
you should be able to own/possess anything the government can. That's how the founders wanted it

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn I hope this passes. I do have a concealed carry permit but have always thought it was just another way to take your money. No reason a law abiding citizen should have to get a permit to carry a gun.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sign me up for the repeal of GCA '34, '68, '86. At that point, pass the AR and M-1A fire controls w/sprinkle switch and multiple examples of the SEXY Glock ass.

dwos03

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder what this would do for reciprocity with other states for CC. Would a guy/gal still have to get a ND CC to have reciprocity with other states, would ND CC's still be available to get, if not I assume you would need to get a CC from the other states you would like to carry in or a state like Utah where it covers many states. Not looking to :;:stirthepot I'm genuinely curious if anybody could shed some light on it for me.

FYI I'm talking about concealed carry permits when I say CC, not constitutional carry.

Last edited:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think this is a deal where it is what we have become used to. Remember when seeing a rack of rifles in the back window of a truck was common place? Now seeing that raises some eyebrows because we just don't see it as often. I am not sure I want to see every other person carrying a side arm at Walmart but I am not sure it would be the end of the world either. I think the fear is that if 2 people both want the same last box of Charmin that instead of just a war of words, there will be a show down.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is dumb. Why not just admit that all the gun control laws are unconstitutional and let citizens decide for themselves if they want to carry concealed or not. For what it's worth, if you are exercising your Constitutional right to keep and bear arms you shouldn't be afraid if losers/criminals/thugs/pugs/dimwits/nitwits/halfwits (Think Blazing Saddles Here) are carrying a gun or not. YOU ARE!!

This. A legal citizen who has not lost his rights via a felony conviction should be allowed to carry openly or concealed without a permit. These CC laws are unconstitutional. There is no law going to stop a wacko from being a wacko!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
speaking of felonies, what other constitutional rights does a person loose for committing a felony? I mean constitutional rights lost for a lifetime.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
speaking of felonies, what other constitutional rights does a person loose for committing a felony? I mean constitutional rights lost for a lifetime.

Could be wrong here, but I thought you lost the right to vote, and the right to hold public office..

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88