The fish learn?

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear this all the time.
“They’ve seen 1000 jigging raps by now”
“They’ve had 100’s of cranks ran by them”
“They won’t bite on that forever, they get smart to it”

I think it’s all hooey but who knows. I think fish live strictly off of their instincts, but maybe I’m wrong. What is your opinion on this?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you can teach/train individual fish, but doing so to change the behavior of the species...probably not so easy.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
You hear that about LM bass that actually have somewhat of an IQ enough adapt to change.

Walleyes not much for brains -- low on the totem pole of brains I think the ones they stock ND are dummer yet.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a kid we used to catch perch one after the other with an occasional walleye on a long shank hook, steel leader , one or 2 of those old rubber center weights and a bobber as big around as a silver dollar. Same setup summer and winter , chalk line in winter, braided line in the summer , we were always cleaning and eating fish. Not sure if there were more fish back then or if they got smarter but I'd be shocked to catch anything but a bullhead on that setup now days.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a selective breeding aspect to fishing. Fish with genetics that are susceptible to certain stimulus get removed - those who don't get triggered don't.

So it's not that individual fish learn - the population shifts toward the less gullible for certain patterns.
Like American conservatives.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a kid we used to catch perch one after the other with an occasional walleye on a long shank hook, steel leader , one or 2 of those old rubber center weights and a bobber as big around as a silver dollar. Same setup summer and winter , chalk line in winter, braided line in the summer , we were always cleaning and eating fish. Not sure if there were more fish back then or if they got smarter but I'd be shocked to catch anything but a bullhead on that setup now days.
By far there was a lot more fish. Back in the day there was probably only 1 in 20 people that even fished. At least double that now at a minimum.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a selective breeding aspect to fishing. Fish with genetics that are susceptible to certain stimulus get removed - those who don't get triggered don't.

So it's not that individual fish learn - the population shifts toward the less gullible for certain patterns.
That....well that was beautiful...

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
By far there was a lot more fish. Back in the day there was probably only 1 in 20 people that even fished. At least double that now at a minimum.
you should research it -- -yes covid made it rise ---- trend though was more people fishing but number of hours fishing in a year down significant. Being by the boat ramp for last 6 years - its exactly what i seen May June heavy after the 4th of july it became empty lot and by fall nuttin. (devils lake).

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
you should research it -- -yes covid made it rise ---- trend though was more people fishing but number of hours fishing in a year down significant. Being by the boat ramp for last 6 years - its exactly what i seen May June heavy after the 4th of july it became empty lot and by fall nuttin. (devils lake).
Shorthairs suck

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shorthairs suck
Once when I was eleven I came upon a dead robin on the sidewalk while delivering papers. I decided to step on it and it "tweeted" real damn loud: Scared the shit out of me.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shorthairs suck
The actual and relative number of anglers has also declined but not by as much. The actual numbers of anglers peaked in 1991 at 30.8 million, then declined gradually until ticking up slightly in recent years. In 2020 there were 29.2 million anglers in the U.S.

The relative numbers of anglers has also declined over the past 40 years. In 1960, there were 19.1 million anglers, representing 10.6 percent of the total U.S. population. At the 1991 peak anglers represented 12.1 percent of the total population. In 2020 that figure fell to 8.8 percent.

Between 1960 and 2020, the number of anglers increased by 53.4 percent, more than six times as fast as the increase in hunters but still far less than the 83.4 percent growth in total population.

The data clearly show that the percentage of Americans who hunt and fish continues to decline, a trend that threatens the revenues of state wildlife agencies.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88