The Progression of a Walleye Fisherman

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I am curious to know what your progression as a walleye fisherman has been. I think it will be fairly similar for most, but maybe I will be surprised.

For me, I started out pitching daredevils and jigs as a kid, but never mastered either at that point. Later in life I ran a lot of bottom bouncers with spinners, then bouncers with slow-death. After that I started figuring out crankbaits and lead-core, followed by jigging, then jigging raps. Other stuff sprinkled in, of course, like learning the Tailrace and chasing pike in stretches, but that sort of sums me up in a nutshell. I still need to tinker with bobber fishing, among other tactics.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since I have spent most of my time on big water, (Lake Erie) my learning curve is different then most here. Started with weight forward spinners, think Erie Dearies. This was in the 80's when the lake was very muddy. After zebra and then quagga mussels arrived the water cleared considerably. Tactics had to change. Switched to trolling, longlines with deep diving crankbaits like reef runners. Started learning how to run snap weights and small planar boards to get the lures out and away from the boat. Moved into dipsy divers and jet divers with worm harnesses or high speed spoons for summertime deep water fish. Bonus was the sporadic steelhead hit. Moved up here and started using slow death, bouncers and Weapons from back home (egg sinker in front of swivel and a 18" worm harness worked along bottom or mid level). Tossing some jigs and plastics. Enjoy fishing out of the kayak here but toothy fish are not allowed in the boat for obvious reasons.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grew up in eastern ND and spent my summers in northern MN. Lots of spinners behind a bullet weights....strictly trolling. Moved west and began fishing the Missouri, pitching jigs, pulling cranks. Small sloughs/lakes taught me plastics and pulling bouncers. It was really the salmon on lake Michigan and the big lake that taught me to fish deep. What followed was crank baits, snap weights, dipsy divers, jigging raps and just experimenting,. Those things taught me not to be afraid to try non-traditional things.

Getting out of my comfort zone, that developed in my teens (stuff my dad and grandpa taught me) was tough....but I look at all of the weapons I have and how I have learned different ways to put bait in front of the fish, has been a fun journey. I'm to that point of, "lets try something crazy", isn't so crazy any more.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are stories and pictures of me as young as 2 or 3 fishing on shore of the river with Dad and his buddy with lindys and floaters as well as them letting me go with in the boat where they’d let me catch a few with jigs before a mug of cocoa and crawling up under the side council of the boat for naps while they fished. From the ages of maybe 5-7 I was jigging in the spring and fall on the river. Summers were spent at new johns or sak with walker lindy’s or jigs and winter was spent in Dad’s homemade 4x8 plywood icehouse watching a bobber. Ages 7-13 I spent a little time in the boat with the above tactics but mostly wanted to be with my brother and cousins from sunup until sundown shore fishing the banks of the primitive campgrounds near pick city. Lindys and floating jigs mostly. In my teens jigs were still used but bottom bouncers became the major boat tool. I spent some time pitching jigs in the honey hole or raps in the tailrace with cousins through these years as well. When I finally purchased my own boat I’ve continued using the above tactics I’ve spent a lifetime with but have added in pitching jigs and jigging raps. Dad and I have also recently decided to finally quit fighting a hatred for pulling cranks and found you can teach old dogs new tricks. This is a great thread V and the memories have flooded back from an incredibly lucky 40+ years of chasing ND greenbacks.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My fishing "career" began in PA as a kid fishing in small creeks/streams for rainbow trout - plain hook/split shot and corn or salmon eggs. Moved to ND in 1992 and discovered jig fishing for walleye. My first couple years walleye fishing I only used jigs with minnows/crawlers/leeches/plastics. Once I got my first boat, I then began experimenting with spinners and slow death rigs. The last 6 to 7 years have really focused on pulling cranks at different times of the year/different depths. I have dabbled with pitching the hard baits, but no where close to becoming confident with them.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am very similar to you @Vollmer. Grew up casting dare devils and fishing smelt under a bobber for pike. Never had a boat growing up. Really didn't fish more than a couple of times from the age of 17-30. For some reason I started by pitching jigs and was instantly hooked. Got a boat started with BB and slow deaths, then cranks. Everything I've learned about jiggin raps and how to fish them has been thanks to Al Lindner and Tom Boley via youtube videos. Now my favorite way to fish is either pitching lures or vertical fishing. Nothing is more rewarding to me than knowing my cadence played a role in coercing a fish to bite.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew up and still fish Oahe. Shore fishing with crappie rigs, then we got a boat. All my dad ever did was drag BB with spinners. So from age 9-18 was BB spinners unless shore fishing. When I started to go with some friends, I learned to drift Lindy rigs, and jig. Started using Lindy's off shore and still do. Mid 90's friends were catching them on cranks. Learned what cranks worked and had the perfect pontoon for them and have been running cranks ever since. Have delved into lead core and snap weights now.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did a lot of fishing as a kid. I would ride my bike to the closest pond and either bobber fish or throw a weight with a floating jig. In my mid 20's to late 30's fishing came to a halt for many reasons. About 5 years ago I was invited by my brother in law to go ice fishing and we took my little guy with. He was instantly hooked and it became a trickle effect for the whole family (I think my wife enjoys it the most). Now we have invested a lot of money in fishing equipment and I am trying to learn it all over again. Since I have never owned a boat that is the biggest learning curve for me. Right now I am trying to learn how to use electronics, specifically side imaging, to locate fish. It's weird how I could go fish anywhere as a kid and catch fish every time I went. Now I struggle to catch fish many days out of the year. For the most part we pull bouncers and slow deaths. On occasion we will pull cranks, we have used slip bobbers once or twice, and I have tried pitching jigs a few times with not much luck.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mo river -- grew up a few years in Bis. Pictures show a stick with mono with a sinker and minnow. I have slight memory. When i got older we moved but i always went back for a stay and bank ratted with my gpa till i hit my 20s. moved and 20s-mid 40s - strickly largemouth 100% casting. Early 90s i started to drag the boat up to audubon and sak for walleye. started with jig and bottom bouncing. Mid 90s started to go to DL. Went back to casting timber all that good stuff. Then onto crankin. Kids born --- try to go as much as possible -- then when kids were old enough to get in boat then it was back to bouncin and all the easy stuff. Hit every lake it seemed in ND. Fast forward to 2022 -- i sold my camper on DL and obtained a pmodel on a minnesota lake. Back to bass fishing. Made it to sak a couple times in 22. Caught a couple eye pigs on that sota lake. But the world of bass opened up and so many things have been added since the 80s it was a blessing in disguise. My wife loves me when i go shopping believe me.

My hours of fishing have increased due to no round trip from fargo. DL was 2 weeks behind in weather. Little or no blow days. Short jaunts to lakes i fish around where i am at and I am able to get on fish right away.

Yes my elbow still hurts. I went last weekend - they are way up shallow and aggresive.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Grew up in a fishing family as I am sure most of you did. Been fishing as long as I can remember. First boat of my dad's that I remember was a baby blue fiberglass boat with a covered bow. I remember fishing into the evening and on the way back to the ramp I would crawl up under there and lay on the life jackets to stay warm. We trolled quite a bit with bottom bouncers and spinners, but Dad's favorite way to fish was definitely jigs and plastics or jigs and minnows, so I grew up jigging. Still my favorite way to catch walleye. I normally fish two rods, and if it is a BB bite, one will be below the boat, but I am casting some type of artificial on the other one. I tell people it is fishing ADD...have to be casting and reeling...A few years back started using jigging raps and enjoy that. Need to learn how to pull plugs...

Boone Caudill

I started out watching my Minnesota-raised father cuss and swear trout fishing in Montana. My youth years were spent on the shores of Fort Peck Reservoir catching walleyes from shore and trolling Prescott Spinners. Threw spoons in the spring creeks for spawning pike. High school years in the dakotas were for catching crappie and bullheads by the hundreds, ice fishing as much as we possibly could, and our walleye fishing in Minnesota moved to lindy rigs with slip sinkers. Post college moved me primarily to Sakakawea, once I could afford a boat anyway, and have been primarily fishing there the last 25 years or so. Bottom bouncers are fun and easy with the entire family, and crankbaits are fun for me alone, or sometimes with my kid. Will pitch a few jigs in the spring, but for the most part keep it simple with the old bottom bouncer. I would like to someday work more with jigging raps, but right now I struggle with them. Need to improve my skills with pinch weights and dipsy's as well.

My job can be stressful at times, so I really need to be able to relax when fishing.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got stationed at Minot. Read about walleye with some experience from the Tygart Lake tailwaters in the Hills; still learning from modified L/SMB techniques. Can hold my own without trolling IE (see Mic's Darling thread): The walleye "drop shot" vid on here didn't need to use live crawlers. IMHO all fish within reason can be caught with bass tactics. The closer I am to actual "bass tactics" when landing another species the more satisfied I am. Bass tactics are innately "clean" and efficient.

My next stunt is trying to get a brown trout in the Hills on a weightless Texas rigged Zoom Trick Worm. I want to see if a trout will hold and eat the plastic like a bass, etc: It's pretty much the same retrieve as the Darling ShadRap but starting from as close to the bottom as possible and slower with the same aggressive low rod tip "sweeping". (Don't set the hook too soon. Let it run a bit. In current I suppose this would entail pointing the rod upstream after perceiving a strike--always watch your slack line).

This could be a killer from the blocks at the Tailrace for everything. IDK: My first choice for tackle would be a fast/ML 7'6in rod and the reel spooled with 4/15 braid which is not in my current arsenal.

1665202483647.png

1665204456526.png

That is all.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forgot to include "one piece" 7/6 rod. This may be unicorn territory. I hate 2pc rods.

That is all.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
Forgot to include "one piece" 7/6 rod. This may be unicorn territory. I hate 2pc rods.

That is all.
Ive always wanted to see how a veteran uses bass tactics on walleye. Im the only guy I personally know thats experimenting with it. I only use 1 piece rods too, usually 7 ft ML.

Grew up on Lake of the Woods as a child learning bottom bouncers, cranks, and ice fishing. Taught myself casting living near Alexandria MN in the summers. And lots of Nintendo and 90s movies.

Moved to Montana at 12 and became obsessed with fly fishing for the next 15 years, specifically for smallmouth.

Moved to Jacksonville Florida and became familiar with saltwater flyfishing for redfish and sea trout. Learned double hauling and vastly improved distance casting. Took it home to Montana. Enjoyed bombing long casts with nymph rigs and streamers on the Bighorn River.

Started hunting alone along the Yellowstone River and discovered some slow deep water. Started catfishing it. Became obsessed with catfishing. Was involved with Montana Catfish Association for awhile. Then quietly enjoyed catfishing and fly fishing Montana rivers for a decade with occasional out of state trips.

Moved to ND and have been fishing Sak almost exclusively usually multiple times a week. Night catfishing back bays, day hiking and casting the bank, boat trips for bass and walleye, and lots of overnight Ice Fishing trips. I prefer tight line jigging rock piles and slip corking (but wind limits it).

Occasionally visit Leech Lake, Devils Lake, and sometimes hike Montana creeks. I have no interest in living anywhere else and could happily never visit the coast again. Although I would like to make one exotic fishing trip while I am still fit. Trail ride the interior of Mongolia to fly fish for Taimen near the birthplace of my favorite historical figure. Would also like to visit the home country of Norway and cod fish.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
This has been one of my favorite threads to read. I appreciate the thoughtful responses from you guys. I get a kick out of these types of shared stories/experiences.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great post DG. Spinnerbaits and lipless cranks are the only thing which doesn't seem to work well for me for walleye. Got a couple on Audubon over the years when after smb (white 3/8oz spinnerbait). Folks have posted threads about the way and time for these above lures.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also DG (as you well know) adapting comfortable methods to the environment is satisfying as hell as "reading" breeds creativity which sometimes provides something "hot". I consider one of my greatest successes the "MicLee thread" ShadRap technique in the Darling system. Once Pard & I were asked three times in a couple weeks by folks with upside-down spinning reels if we were professional fisherman. As we felt pity for all inbred Yankees; the "magic" was divulged without seeing a trend. Bottom bouncers and Lindy Rigs continued to soak on the bottom and harvest bullheads.

This lure is the .30/06 of crankbaits and is also extremely effective as a topwater plug (sans wire). I caught my PB l/smb--(9/7, 3/9) numerous trout, channel cat, walleye, cobia and bluefish twitching this thing on top like it was dropped by a bird. I've let it sit on top two feet away from my toes (front, left, right) for up to thirty seconds and had an awesome heart attack. Remember: Pike/bluefish cut line in the decision to use wire. The leader is an impediment for top water presentation but doesn't totally negate. I truly hope someone on here tries this shit and posts the result.

1665460342664.png

It comes in many colors and sizes. This is the only color you'll ever need:

1665460453076.png

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 183
  • This month: 152
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93