Fort Peck fishing in August

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple friends and I are looking to make our first trip out to Fort Peck here in a week. I don't know much about the lake other than there are some big walleyes/pike/trout in it and that is what we are going to chase. This is probably a tough time of year to fish there but its a weekend we have free and we really enjoyed hunting the area last fall. The plan right now is to camp and fish out of Hell Creek. Does anyone have tips on fishing Peck? Not looking for specific spots but just some hints on presentation and depths etc.

BTW I like the new site, its busy and seems to really be an improvement from FB.

Thanks!

The Mantis

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't fished it....yet. But I believe it's top ten for trophy pike in the states right now, eh. Good luck man! I gotta make it up there one of these days.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recommend slowdeath with one gell glow bead 6ft mono leader trolling 1mph with the biggest full crawler you can find. Work good enough at gov cup to get some dandys

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like we are all in on fishing out of Hell Creek next weekend. Sounds like that part of the lake is the best bet for this time of year. Gotta pick up a Doctor Sonar lake map this week and lots of crawlers/leeches. Might spend some time looking for big pike and smallies too.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are monster Smallies there. Like someone said earlier. Slow deaths with a glow bead. I'd use heavy bouncers, like 2oz or 3oz

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well we made it back, maybe a little sunburned and dehydrated, but had a good time. Turns out there was a 60 boat fishing tournament all weekend so that kept the place busy. Lots of small fish were caught with the biggest being around 5lb and daily weights around 10-20lb. Biggest walleye we caught only went 18" but when we found active fish they were a blast catching quite a few. Used slow death rigs in 20-25' on main lake points. Talk about a tough lake to fish compared to Sak but it was a good learning experience. Most guys were heading way west towards Timber creek. I think we would have done pretty well in the tournament even though we never fished the lake before and spent most afternoons catching bottle bass. The Hell Creek campground and marina are really nice facilities with great people working at them. Had no problem getting good gas, bait and cold beer for a reasonable prices. Caught some smallmouth as well but nothing big. When we left last monday they were filming a fishing show with Jason Mitchell I think or Jason somebody. They were going after the big walleyes using flicker shads apparently, hopefully they had better luck than the 60+ boats out everyday over the weekend. Thanks for the advice guys!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75