Devils lake tips.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Handing to grahms island for the weekend. I haven't fished the lake in 10 years. I could use some general tips or pointers. Don't need your secret spots just an idea of where to go and good tactic for this time of year. Walleye is my target, but kids would love a mess of white bass. Thanks in advance.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont fish there often, but was up there about a month ago, so patterns may have changed. We found weedlines and pulled spinners, crankbaits, slow death, etc. in anywhere from 4-15+ feet of water. Caught a lot of fish, but nothing huge.. Crawlers and leeches worked well. Also casted cranks into shallows with pretty good success, although my pops had doubts! A few nice pike every once and awhile and smalller hammerhandles of course. Fished 6 mile bay quite a bit and fished on the SW side of lake outside of round lake. Made it up to pelican, but got blown off the lake before we hit where I wanted to fish. I guess I got a better excuse to purchaser a bigger boat!

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spinners with bb's along weeded shorelines in 8-12 feet of water during the day, slip bobbers where you find the fish and/or an hour and a half before dark on either side of a bridge. Check out doc hagens, howards bay, old sunken grahams island road with spinners, and creel bay. Might be out there fri afternoon and saturday all day, u can pm me for my number if youd like and ill let you know. Guna be a busy next couple days with funeral activites, but would enjoy knowing your kids set some hooks and had a time! Might be a hottt one for slip bobbers but sitting there sweating doing nothing has never bothered me before, cant get me in a sauna but put a beverage and rod in each hand and it outweighs itself!

white bass=northeast end of creel bay along the rocks for a starting point.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try deeper two weeks ago the bigger fish were in the 20fow.

Last weekend we caught limits of 18-20" fish in 4-6'. Weedlines, Smash-Shads.

My advise for this weekend would be to get on the water early and be done before the temp reached the predicted 98 and the wind reaches the predicted 25-30mph.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Green jig and a leech in 20 fow. Along with bombers has worked for me the last 3 weekends. Not big fish but a decent 16 inch average if u sort threw them. I had been on the upslope from the old channel in the doc hagens area and that seemed the most productive

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want easy fishing just find some old roads on your GPS and drag 1oz-1.5oz bottom bouncers with a spinner and a half crawler. It's hard to go wrong with hammered gold blades. If you don't get your limit in 1 hour you are doing it wrong.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
So pink and red are 2 different colored colors... #roygbiv

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also try to keep a couple of those expensive holographic spinner blades on hand and pull them as a last resort through a spot that is only producing dinks. Northerns like them, otherwise I would use them a lot more.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure red and pink in the crayon box "pink" "red" are two different colors but also lots of gold gold gold

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I havent used a spinner on devils lake in maybe 15 years. I cant remember the last time i used one. I am going to make some titanium spinners with big blades though and give em a whirl.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77