Freezing fast now

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I knew we would be locking up much of our water over the next few days but I figured the wind would keep things open for awile longer but I was wrong. The wind is actually haveing the reverse effect in that it's cooling down the water faster so most of small to midsized body's of water are locking up fast. The lakes are freezing backwards from the downwind side of the shore and pushing upwind. Crappy thing is its all slush ice so it will be crap for fishing for some time.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
That sucks!!! I hate crap ice.

wow - I used all caps on the sentence above and the web site edited them down to normal automatically

thanks big brother

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch just yet. When the wind dies down the plate ice will even out. Besides, we might get some 40 degree days yet that will take care of some of that crap anyway. I'm hoping for another 2-3 weeks before the ice starts forming in earnest, but this is ND and she's a fickle beotch if ever there was one.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
wind-driven shardy crap ice - especially with a touch of snow mixed in - makes for insulating ice, it's difficult to visually assess for quality (even spudding that foamy crap is a less reliable test than if it's black), etc.

great - there goes the 2015-2016 season

it's official

Panties-in-a-bunch.jpg%7Ec200

- - - Updated - - -

:;: - sort of

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only the vary biggest and deepest will make it past Sunday. Hell long lake was 1/3 locked already and freezing fast. This is where 83 crosses looking west.IMG_20151119_091702514_HDR.jpg

Flinger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, this may be my last weekend of actual real fishing. Cold at night, eyes on rod constantly freezing up. I suppose I got a little more time to hunt but I might as well get ready to sit on a bucket and drink.....

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Better now than after forming a few inches of ice. I don't mind a big blow to dirty up the water a bit. Ultra clear water makes for a tough bite for eyes unless you like to fish for 20 minutes at sunrise and sunset.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Better now than after forming a few inches of ice. I don't mind a big blow to dirty up the water a bit. Ultra clear water makes for a tough bite for eyes unless you like to fish for 20 minutes at sunrise and sunset.

i was thinking the exact same thing! The rain and wind really couldnt have happened at a better time imo. dirty those waters up a little. Last year i felt like i was fishing MN gin clear water... hence it sucked.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was thinking the exact same thing! The rain and wind really couldnt have happened at a better time imo. dirty those waters up a little. Last year i felt like i was fishing MN gin clear water... hence it sucked.

Pelican lake, MN?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
hmmm. I am skeptical of this gin water due to lack of winds theory

it's been blowing 50mph every week for a month - it could have froze nice and flat - this last wind isn't saving the day with regard to clarity

520744651_0f6c1d38bd.jpg

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

it's been blowing 50mph every week for a month - it could have froze nice and flat - this last wind isn't saving the day with regard to clarity

520744651_0f6c1d38bd.jpg

A few years ago there was a giant wind up on LOW that dirtied up the water so bad that ice fishing was a joke on the South end.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member

520744651_0f6c1d38bd.jpg

so what causes them to turn so clear from one year to the next? lack of summer rains i suppose?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
so what causes them to turn so clear from one year to the next? lack of summer rains i suppose?

I have no idea. Just being a dink. :D

I did use the english gentlemen approach though - to ease the sting of dinkness.

- - - Updated - - -

A few years ago there was a giant wind up on LOW that dirtied up the water so bad that ice fishing was a joke on the South end.

yeah, a guy I know bought a camera that year - had big plans for the camera keeping his kids occupied up there, ha ha ha

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
With regards to Guywhosadink's response, I imagine you believe in the turbidity fairy and her powers. :)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha. You gotta admit though that is has been a turbulent late fall. This one last blow isn't going to make/break the turbidity for the season is it?

if any waters weren't good and churned up by yesterday then last night's and today's winds aren't going to save the day

NEOq5fSqNuMNSS_1_8.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
wind-driven shardy crap ice - especially with a touch of snow mixed in - makes for insulating ice, it's difficult to visually assess for quality (even spudding that foamy crap is a less reliable test than if it's black)

Black Ice Matters

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19