Military honors At funeral

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I buried my dad this last weekend. Now I’m an orphan. I’ve been to several funerals with military honors but have never been front and center to hear what they say and watch what they do. It’s moving to see the details and how they perform the folding of the flag.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry for your loss. I was part of the Funeral Honor Guard many years ago as an MP in the Guard. I probably did 2 dozen+ funerals, some for people I served with and yes TAPS get me every time also. Sometime in the future I will probably do it again for the VFW and DAV. It was a good feeling to show respect for those who had served and passed.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been involved and taps sends a thrill in one when it is play at these ceremonies along with the salute of rifle volley.
We have a tape in the trumpet, hard to find players and the trumpet does not work if cold.
Now and then a high school student comes along and that is good. Either way it is great. db

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry for your loss Skeet. The military honors for my father were done with absolute precision, respect and honor. I could not thank the guard members enough who did it. Was also fortunate to have a very good trumpet player did taps. I have always welled up inside when they are played, no matter who or where. Again, sorry for your loss. GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been to a couple at the Mandan Veterans cemetery the past few years, and it is a powerful experience for sure.

We're all grateful for your dad's service and sorry for your loss.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I buried my dad this last weekend. Now I’m an orphan. I’ve been to several funerals with military honors but have never been front and center to hear what they say and watch what they do. It’s moving to see the details and how they perform the folding of the flag.
Agreed, my father last spring,Korean vet,Fort Snelling, good grief,thought I was prepared as dementia at 94 yrs old took a slow toll on him,but the day came,thankfully he passed peacefully, like you I was front and center,he was laid to rest next to my mother in a vault.

When taps played....hitchha deep in the gut,giving me the flag,overwhelming,21 gun salute,spent cartridges

Godbless you.
IMG_20220420_105227721.jpg

Last edited:

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am moved to tears by the military funeral honors whether I know the veteran and their family or not. I served many military funerals as an altar boy in grade school and have had more than a few in my family. God bless you Skeeter. Sorry for your loss

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers to you,family, and friends.
And thank you Mr. Skeeter for your service 🇺🇲

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son started playing the trumpet this year. I’m going to encourage him to learn how to play taps. They dont have a real trumpet it’s all recorded
That would be great. I was at a funeral some years back and a young boy in his teens played the trumpet for the military. It was his grandfather's funeral. Very moving!

Very SORRY for your loss Skeeter.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Only time I've cried in a long time as they played taps at my dad's funeral. Used to do funeral detail when on post support with he the 82nd Airborne. Tough to keep it together during taps. Sorry to hear of your loss.
My Dad was with the 82nd Airborne back in 1956 to 1959. "All The Way!", "Death From Above"

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 334
  • This month: 215
  • This month: 181
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74