Graphs

NodakBob

Honored Member
1684769500676.png
That’s what I use in the kayak and canoe

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
does a mapping device need everything else a graph does. IMO no -- and yes i run one dedicated to mapping and i rarely turn it to sonar.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Some guys just have to have the best of everything and out do the next guy. It is why they are making $130,000 boats with 400's and bigger, simply because people keep buying them. 1 on the dash and 1 on the front is plenty for most. Depends on how much you fish and how big of a pocket book you have.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
To each their own,,but imho..unless you are guiding 6-7 days a week, it is hard for me to pen out taking a loan out for a $80,000 dollar loan out on a rig(boat,motor,trailer,electronics,etc) that is in the water for 8 months tops. 15yr note on a boat is crazy. @4.5% is $650 month.. never would be above water on that loan..pardon the pun. You fellers must be be doing a heck of a lot better than me in the income dept to warrant that kind of cash each and every month. I get it..you like to fish..so do i..so..spend away.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Even in my broke post college days I had a handful of graphs on the boat. You can have a heck of a setup, for cheap, if you are okay with stuff that is a generation or two old.

Right now, in my opinion, a Helix 2 is basically the same as a Helix 4, except for the 360 and Mega Live capabilities.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the mapping, speed, & temp as much as the sonar. And with sonar I'm looking at depth and drops as much or more than looking for fish. Probably a weakness in my game, but I troll a lot so theres not much you can do except notice fish and trees as you go buy. And since my live bait options are really limited this year, I'll probably crank most the time.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys/girls really do not have to spend thousands of dollars to catch fish..save your money..unless you like to brag with how much damn electronics you have.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys/girls really do not have to spend thousands of dollars to catch fish..save your money..unless you like to brag with how much damn electronics you have.
Trust me, I fished out of my little Bath Tub for years, and before that a 12 ft aluminum boat. But it's nice to be able to take the wife, or more than one other person. The electronics can and do help, especially the mapping.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like I caught way more fish using a silent 60 flasher back 30 years ago then I do today with the fancy graphs. Newer technology is nice and all but hasn't really made me a better fisherman. That said currently have an 1159 bird in the dash and an 859 on the bow.
Finding doesn't necessarily mean catching although it's mighty helpful if you follow the 90/10 rule. I read an article back in the day which purported fish could detect sonar with their lateral lines. In GA we used to tool about to find fish and later come back sans electronics to fish an area marked with a discreet marker buoy.

Our "electronics" was a portable "Fishing Buddy" screwed to the appropriate side of "The Friendly Bitch": The dorkiest Yankee boat ever to grace Southern waters. She was fiberglass. She floated.

The Scientific Method was never applied, We DID catch LM regularly using this "method" by marking shoreline irregularities for quick reference. I can't speak accurately about effectiveness of concept.

The lateral line and olfactory capability is not given enough consideration IMO.

That is all.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Finding doesn't necessarily mean catching although it's mighty helpful if you follow the 90/10 rule. I read an article back in the day which purported fish could detect sonar with their lateral lines. In GA we used to tool about to find fish and later come back sans electronics to fish an area marked with a discreet marker buoy.

Our "electronics" was a portable "Fishing Buddy" screwed to the appropriate side of "The Friendly Bitch": The dorkiest Yankee boat ever to grace Southern waters. She was fiberglass. She floated.

The Scientific Method was never applied, We DID catch LM regularly using this "method" by marking shoreline irregularities for quick reference. I can't speak accurately about effectiveness of concept.

The lateral line and olfactory capability is not given enough consideration IMO.

That is all.
Over the weekend i went up had bfast left toons on and sonar come back down to a big party at the back of my boat. Gills crappie several lmbass and one bullly little 10inch walleye. He picked in every one the little asshole. But the party cont and got bigger despite. Music did not do anything nope. Sonar chirp or tradition no effect. Motor starting nuttin.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I picked up a Humminbird 1158c DI and a 937c. What can you tell me about these units? Good ones, bad one.
20230522_174500.jpg
20230522_174423.jpg

Last edited:

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Can't catch fish if you aren't on fish. Good electronics that you trust sure help to find them, especially if you are fishing unfamiliar waters. What really doesn't make sense to me is when people have a 60k+ boat and have one 5" graph on it. Haha

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't catch fish if you aren't on fish. Good electronics that you trust sure help to find them, especially if you are fishing unfamiliar waters. What really doesn't make sense to me is when people have a 60k+ boat and have one 5" graph on it. Haha
Don’t need fancy electronics to pull bottom bouncers all summer! Caught lots of fish back in the day with only one 5” graph!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 177
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84