stretch pants debacle

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]DHS dress code stirs social media, student debate[/h]By Andrew Haffner on Sep 3, 2015 at 11:05 p.m.

Email Tweet Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
News Dickinson,North Dakota 58602 http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/si...eld/image/0904 DHS Students.jpg?itok=l7ykFWv3 Andrew Haffner
The Dickinson Press (701) 225-4205 customer support http://www.thedickinsonpress.com
http://www.thedickinsonpress.com
DHS dress code stirs social media, student debate
Dickinson North Dakota 1815 1st Street West 58602

Changes in Dickinson High School’s dress code prompted heated debate on a Facebook page oriented toward Dickinson residents Tuesday, though school administrators feel the outrage is overblown.

Advertisement
x

Advertisement
Recommended for you
Police Blotter: Tools stolen from Newby’s Ace Hardware

Parents of students, along with unrelated adults, wrote hundreds of comments arguing for and against an updated DHS policy concerning the wearing of leggings and yoga pants, both popular articles of clothing for girls and women.
A second comment chain appeared Wednesday with a similar prompt.
While school administration says the dress code as a whole is intended to help students feel comfortable in school, DHS student Andrea Ivey said the reasoning she had heard for the recent policy changes was that some of the formerly allowed attire was “distracting to the guys.”

Fellow students Dylen Ollila and Tyler Mickelson said they had heard similar rationale.
“I’ve seen things that people say, that boys should be able to control themselves and girls should be able to wear whatever they want,” Mickelson said. “Well, not whatever, but be comfortable.”
Despite some social media pushback from parents, Assistant Principal Jay Hepperle said students had so far responded “surprisingly well” to the updated code.
“The dress code’s not a new thing around here, obviously when we get information like there’s a thread on Facebook or there’s some community involvement, we actually want the community to talk to us about that,” he said.

Hepperle said the DHS student handbook, which outlines the dress code and other information relevant to students and their parents, is reviewed annually by a committee consisting of students, staff members and administration.
That review process also included the school’s Parental Advisory Council, he said, and is approved yearly by the Dickinson Public School Board. The next meeting, which Hepperle said takes place at noon Sept. 17 at DHS, is expected have discussion about the dress code.
“We don’t want anyone to jump to the conclusion that this is what we are just coming up with in my office,” Hepperle said. “It’s not just a principal issue. This isn’t just our issue, this is what the students and the staff and the community, through a (parent advisory council), are all a part of.”
He said disciplinary measures for violating the code would frequently take the form of teachers “chatting with” students considered to be dressed inappropriately.

The next step of escalation would be a trip to the front offices, where students dressed outside of code would have to change into school-provided shorts or sweatpants.
Sending a student home for dressing in a non-compliant fashion was not the objective of the code, Hepperle said.
“We want kids in school,” he said. “Our main goal with anything, whether it’s discipline or not ... we want to keep them in school, we want them to be educated. That’s the point of this institution.”
Hepperle added that the code was written to apply to both sexes.
Ollila, Mickelson and Ivey said they had known of peers who had been sent to the school’s office to change, though they said they had also seen some of their peers continue to wear the supposedly prohibited attire.
None of the three spoke favorably of the code.
“It’s more or less banning something because of somebody else,” Mickelson said. “‘It’s ‘Boys can’t control themselves, so girls can’t wear certain things.’”
Social media debate largely centered around the line of the code that prohibits skin-tight or spandex leggings, yoga pants or “jeggings” worn “by themselves as the only item covering the lower body.”
“Pants of this nature must be accompanied by a longer garment covering the lower body, such as a longer/oversized shirt or sweater, dress, or skirt that extends past the buttocks,” the handbook states.
DHS student Ayana Freeman said “the leggings issue” had been a bigger deal last school year, but she had since gotten used to the new standards.
She believed other students had not yet acclimated, however, and described the topic as “a big debate.”
Freeman and two other female students — both wearing leggings or yoga pants — said that while they could understand why such an updated code was implemented, they did not agree with the male distraction concern they saw as the reasoning behind it.
“If they can’t control themselves, then that’s not really my problem,” Freeman said.

- - - Updated - - -

So if you see a girl in essentially nylons of the current era, can you control yourself. Or is it more so the fact that the wrong rear ends end up in these skin tight pants.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Absolutely no need for yoga pants in school, I could of never imagined dealing with such a site as to see my female classmates wearing yoga pants. When I went back to school few years ago some of the girls in my classes wore those tight fitting leaving little to the imagination. Now take that same visual stimulation but put a testosterone raging adolescent male, man that would be complete torture becuase it was for me.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
fail-yoga-pant-fat-lady-pics.jpg
Found one for lycan

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wearing bikini's, thongs, or yoga pants should be a privilege, not a right. They shouldn't even be made in anything larger than a medium.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
����

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just like anything else, given the right conditions, yoga pants can be perfectly fine. I was in Europe during high school, and had the misfortune to visit a topless beach. For every female there that looked good (and there were some that were phenomenal), there were 50 that made you want to pluck your eyeballs out of your head. All my friends wanted to know what it was like (at that beach) and I truthfully told them I'd be fine to never go back. This was nearly thirty years ago and I still see some horrible things when I close my eyes.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just like anything else, given the right conditions, yoga pants can be perfectly fine. I was in Europe during high school, and had the misfortune to visit a topless beach. For every female there that looked good (and there were some that were phenomenal), there were 50 that made you want to pluck your eyeballs out of your head. All my friends wanted to know what it was like (at that beach) and I truthfully told them I'd be fine to never go back. This was nearly thirty years ago and I still see some horrible things when I close my eyes.

"Alright, roll em back up."

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too have had the misfortune of seeing something that haunts me to this day, it happened at Helmers Haven, and every so often when zoning out, the image will enter my mind, and send shivers all the way up my spine.

I cannot say on this forum exactly what this was, but my buddy Jeff was excited about this horror and paid extra to have it shown to him, I left and laid down in the pickup with all of my childhood dreams in the balance.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's always going to be something that pisses school administrators off as they try to save the world. Girls at home say it's the male teachers who seem to have the biggest issues with it, not other students. If someone who shouldn't be wearing them wears them, so what. If they want to make an ass of themselves, let them. I think it's time schools spent their time worrying about giving the kids an education instead of trying to blame their failures and wasting their time that's paid with my tax dollars on stupid crap like this. And like our girls say, if they can't wear these, then guys shouldn't be allowed to wear tight exercise shorts (bicycle shorts) and wrestlers those tight uniforms. If tight stuff is inappropriate for them, it should be for all. I think the schools should just be damn glad the kids came to school and worry less about this kind of crap. Their job is to TEACH kids. That's what we pay them for. So quit worrying about how they dress and start worrying about the piss poor education you've been giving them.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wrestled for a long time. I never once had the urge to wear my singlet (that's the name you were looking for) around school. In fact, someone would only see me in one a maximum of 6 minutes at a time. Alright, maybe 8 minutes but I never made it into that many overtime's.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's always going to be something that pisses school administrators off as they try to save the world. Girls at home say it's the male teachers who seem to have the biggest issues with it, not other students. If someone who shouldn't be wearing them wears them, so what. If they want to make an ass of themselves, let them. I think it's time schools spent their time worrying about giving the kids an education instead of trying to blame their failures and wasting their time that's paid with my tax dollars on stupid crap like this. And like our girls say, if they can't wear these, then guys shouldn't be allowed to wear tight exercise shorts (bicycle shorts) and wrestlers those tight uniforms. If tight stuff is inappropriate for them, it should be for all. I think the schools should just be damn glad the kids came to school and worry less about this kind of crap. Their job is to TEACH kids. That's what we pay them for. So quit worrying about how they dress and start worrying about the piss poor education you've been giving them.

This is common sense. That rarely exists anymore!

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too have had the misfortune of seeing something that haunts me to this day, it happened at Helmers Haven, and every so often when zoning out, the image will enter my mind, and send shivers all the way up my spine.

I cannot say on this forum exactly what this was, but my buddy Jeff was excited about this horror and paid extra to have it shown to him, I left and laid down in the pickup with all of my childhood dreams in the balance.

we went to a resort at the mn dl that i thought was hilmers haven... same one???

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yoga pants (size medium or small) were clearly created by the most genius man alive. Thank you fine sir, where ever you are.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88