Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d like to get into coyote hunting. The way I see it:
1. Coyotes need to die.
2. Open statewide with no units/tags
3. Open year-round
4. Far greater opportunities for land access

I caught the Fargay BAD when I moved here years ago. Wife, kids, job, school, and no proximity to old stomping grounds all but eliminated my hunting. If you don’t keep up scouting and contacts and skills, you lose them. Haven't had a 4x4 for years either.

Now kids are at that age where I need to get them out to pursue fish, fowl, and game. I was thinking coyote hunting would be a good way to get back out there without having to beg or buy access, travel several hours, and compete with the Orange invasion.

I still expect I’ll need to scout, talk to landowners, and do the leg work. Probably need a pickup too. What else do I need?
- accurate rifle and decent scope
- some kind of call and/or attractant
- lotsa brown clothes
- Assless chaps

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oniel ops has some good YouTube videos on the how and why they set up they are some killers

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oniel ops has some good YouTube videos on the how and why they set up they are some killers

I came across some of their stuff recently. Really nice camera equipment and hunting equipment. Can’t help but feel like those guys are gonna slip up and get caught making out at the end of one of those videos.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
These 3 things will get you started calling walking out away from the road is a good keep to the low areas until you get to your spot so they don't see you. Wind watch it carefully they can smell you from further than you can shoot so make dang sure you can get a shot at them before that. Make sure you have a clear shooting area towards the down wind side but before they can smell you. If there is a low spot there they will find it and be a little turd because that's just what they do. Lastly please for all of us coyote callers do not call from a dang vehicle coyotes are smart they even know the difference between you and the farmers pickup that lives near by. They are way smarter than a deer and some people think deer are smart lol

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out Randy Anderson on Youtube, or I could even borrow you some of his DVDs. I love that he just films the hunt and doesn't do any of that bullshit dramatic editing. He has some instructional stuff, but you can pick up a lot just by watching a hunt.

Like buckhunter says, wind is the biggest thing to keep in mind. You'd usually like to set up into headwind, but a crosswind can work as long as you can cover the downwind side. They can smell you from several hundred yards away, and when they do, they don't stand there trying to decide what they're smelling. They just reverse-pivot and are gone.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out Randy Anderson on Youtube, or I could even borrow you some of his DVDs. I love that he just films the hunt and doesn't do any of that bullshit dramatic editing. He has some instructional stuff, but you can pick up a lot just by watching a hunt.

Like buckhunter says, wind is the biggest thing to keep in mind. You'd usually like to set up into headwind, but a crosswind can work as long as you can cover the downwind side. They can smell you from several hundred yards away, and when they do, they don't stand there trying to decide what they're smelling. They just reverse-pivot and are gone.

I’ll check out Randy Anderson. O’Neil guys are legit but their production needs a lot less whiteclaw and brodozer. Take about 20% off the top there, squirrelly Dan.

I’ve noticed in some videos that coyotes will often make a wide circle around the call so they can get downwind before charging in while others are hungry and dumb and maybe haven’t been pressured and come straight in.

buckhunter24_7, every time I see your avatar I think, “that women needs to see a doctor. There is something very wrong with her sweater puppies. That is not normal.”

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to have the sun @ my back when in position and calling.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always enjoyed watching Les Johnson and taking some things away from him. Thing I love about coyote hunting is it's just something you can do on a whim at any point of the day unless the winds blowing like it has been the past week. But, there's always ways to get out of the wind if you're determined enough. I think the thing I like best when im solo hunting is just driving around and picking out the perfect spots to call and where to set up, drawing it all up in your head according to the wind basically.

Be cognizant of where the deer herds were all winter and stick close to there as they made that area home for 4-5 months out of the year. Sloughs, pigbarns, livestock, standing sunflowers/corn, willows, draws, single row belts are all great cover to call them from and take a few minute pauses between calling sequences, it gets them more curious instead of constant calling imho. We average about 3-4 sequences of 5 mins, taking 2-3 minute pauses so I'd say each stand/set gets about 20-30 mins max before moving on to the next one.

Coyote calling/hunting is only as stressful as you make it and if you don't have patience it's not for you. There's not much more of a rewarding experience than tricking one or having a doubles, triples, etc racing at you. Have fun with it and make it your own, you'll be an addict soon!

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve noticed in some videos that coyotes will often make a wide circle around the call so they can get downwind before charging in while others are hungry and dumb and maybe haven’t been pressured and come straight in.

Yep, they'll do both, so you must always set up to cover both. If you use an electronic caller, you can put it slightly upwind, so their circle brings them straight to you, just as long you can still see the caller and any straight-line approach. Getting the sound away from you also helps you get away with more movement. It's amazing how well they can pin-point that sound.

Another tip: While their nose is #1, they can also pick you out with their eyes. You always need to be mindful of what's behind you from the coyotes perspective along their entire approach so you don't "skyline" yourself. For example, if you're sitting on a steep hill, you may not be skylined when approached from the next hill, but could be if approached from the creek-bottom. If they just pick out something weird looking (you) on a hillside, you'll usually have time to shoot. If you're skylined, it's game over.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
If u do buy an electronic caller, look for one that's elevated off the ground or u can make something for it if not. Id also have a long string attached to it so u can hang off branches while calling in belts or other cover. The sound reaches further out vs being muffled into the ground, always start ur sounds out low and gradually increase the volume as you go.

Also, I'd recommend starting to blow on a hand call asap whether it's open or closed reed, you'll for sure wana know how to use it when the electronic freezes up or batteries die and your a mile away from the vehicle, don't ask me how I know. Not a bad idea to always have a long string in your pocket to drag coyotes out from the field as well.

And spray and tub your coyote calling apparel like you would your bow hunting clothes, it'll save ya a few heart breaks.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
And spray and tub your coyote calling apparel like you would your bow hunting clothes, it'll save ya a few heart breaks.

BedWetter used to be SlimBlundt, his hunting clothing probably smells like someone's been smoking in either the wrestling room or a hockey equipment room. Likely a combination of sweat and hippie. Squared.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55