How do you ice fish?

Which way do you ice fish most of the time?

• Flip Over

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • Hub

Votes: 40 24.0%
  • Permanent

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • No Shelter

Votes: 23 13.8%

• Total voters

ice head

Founding Member
Founding Member
I move every 15 minutes or so until I find active fish, towards the last hour of daylight I'll sit on a walleye spot and wait for them.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends on who I’m fishing with and how long the trip is. If I have the kids with its permanent fishing usually. Otherwise it’s outside/portable fishing if it’s a day trip, Permanent if it’s an extended stay. Installed a receiver hitch on the back of my permanent last year and built a rack for my portable so I can haul the wheeler in the pickup and be permanent and portable. Works great for our annual trip to Lake of the Woods.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the most part, in my slippers. RV Ice castle with honda generator. Aqua view hooked to one TV, Mobile hotspot bringing netflix to other tv. Vexilar for jigging sticks, rattle wheels on the wall. chili or stew or the like on the stove. If I feel adventurous, I might put out a tip up or two loaded with smelt. Cold sucks.

I do the exact same thing, I did put the extended tank on the Honda so fill it up once in the weekend.

Life is good

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
All of the above....Could be running and gunning out of the pickup, could be portables behind the wheeler or I could be dead sticking and playing Nintendo 64 in the permanent.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm usually too tired to fish by the time I have all the bungee straps removed.

So I just re-bungee everything and head for home - glad to have experienced the great outdoors but if only for a few glorious moments.

It's really not about the catching - right?

LOL

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Running an ice castle this year
BAD4A7BB-5463-4E66-BB77-7EBF7FCDB99D.jpeg

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought you just attached the powerhead to the flighting and looked at it with satisfaction...after that removed said flighting and repacked the powerhead. Swish hands together and go home:)

Swishes hands with aplomb, and mutters "there.." under his breath.

phillyblunt701

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ClamX2 early and late ice. RV edition ice castle when the ice is right. Hard to beat sitting around in your pajamas drinking beer watching football catching fish!

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer to fish on the ice and not in a shack but I also like to be comfortable so the hub comes along. For you guys that use flip overs, doesn't that force you to fish by yourself or if you do have company, aren't you fishing very close to each other?

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 suitcase style shelters, a 4x6 clam (got it for $25) and a 6x8 (cant remember the brand), depends if it is by myself or with the wife. my lil buddy heater keeps either nice and toasty.

I hate cold feet so its nice being off the ice and if I want to move just lay everything down in the shelter and pull. they slide nice enough to pull by hand,

downfall it the wind can be a pain. I was in the big one starting my holes and the wind took me for a short ride across the ice, tied it to the pickup then marked and drilled my holes.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I generally go out to the freezer and grab a package of fish.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got my boys (12 and 8) into ice fishing with two "give away" ice houses last year thanks to dukgnfsn.....Thank you so much!

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hub for when family is with or conditions force me to use it. But prefer just being outside and mobile with atv

Rekleiner

I love ice fishing for northern pike. I have a bunch of old school wood tip ups and use frozen smelt. This is my first season with a power auger. I got an ion X and it's awesome. I have been out twice this season with no luck and would love if anyone has ideas for early ice Pike. Locations within an hour of Bismarck. ?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love ice fishing for northern pike. I have a bunch of old school wood tip ups and use frozen smelt. This is my first season with a power auger. I got an ion X and it's awesome. I have been out twice this season with no luck and would love if anyone has ideas for early ice Pike. Locations within an hour of Bismarck. ?

For pike under 10lbs you could try in order of how I would rate them: Etta Alkaline Complex, Helen, Cherry, Horsehead. Beaver Bay on Oahe for a chance at a big one but I haven’t had much luck for numbers in recent years.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been a no shelter fisherman so far this year. I did set up this Eskimo house on Thanksgiving just to try it out and cook. I am terrible at moving, even from hole to hole. For some reason I just want to let each hole have its chance.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82