Spring snows

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Care to place money on that one. Nothing but forties and fifties in the forecast and a clear path on the westside the birds will likely be smacking the Border by The weekend.

Were the birds smacking the border last weekend like you were saying, Or is mother nature throwing a carve ball?

I to was a Spring Goose hunting Outfitter, Spring Snows are so unpredictable and weather plays a 95% roll on when they will show up. So a little warm weather doesn't always mean much.

Last edited:

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't speak for up on 200 but out east of town there is/was plenty of sheet water for them. Be interesting to see what these next few warm days do before they likely get knocked back to damn near Nebraska.

I believe that 100% haven't been east of town.
if you go north up towards the lake its barren ground. they never really had much snow all winter. they froze wet like many places but there isn't much runoff from snow and unless they get more there wont be. as you go east on 200 the more snow there is but even at Mccklusky unless a big storm hits there isn't enouch consistently yeah there some here and there but nothing that I would considering major snow holding stuff. I didn't leave the highway either just my pavement observations

- - - Updated - - -

yes let the yo yo begging, there will be a good run the next 3 days then another good run the opposite direction the days after!!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Were the birds smacking the border last weekend like you were saying, Or is mother nature throwing a carve ball?

I to was a Spring Goose hunting Outfitter, Spring Snows are so unpredictable and weather plays a 95% roll on when they will show up. So a little warm weather doesn't always mean much.
Yeah they started to cross on Thursday. Exactly how many I have no idea since I made no effort to go out and find any but did see a couple flocks of a couple hundred each cruising north when I was out east of town but I was only out there for 15 minutes so not enough time to get any sort of real idea what was actually going on.

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a reliable source says there are big feeds in SE ND.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
they are 100% in mobridge right now does not matter what direction you look the sky is full

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a reliable source says there are big feeds in SE ND.

I put on about 200 miles in SC ND near the border yesterday and saw about 50 snows all morning. Decent amount of snow down there in the ditches and grassy areas too.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is definitely enough open ground down in the SE corner for them to move in. Open water is the only real issue at this point.

Screenshot_20200314-102000.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have not seen any snows in my area yet. I am 25 miles west of Wahpeton and 25 miles North of SD line. If I see any I will post sighting right away. LB.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member

Took 83 down to Strasburg and headed east, didn't see anything but handfuls of canadas sitting on the ice. The one small group of snows I saw was probably 20 miles east of Hague. Gonna be a while till the mass is here with the forecast.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man we’re there Canadians on the river at Williston this morning.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m not sure this has ever been typed on nodak angler before. But...deano is spot on. And with the single digit lows next week and low 30 temps anything that opens up is gonna lock back up. Let the yo yo named or game of just the tip keep foing

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
cache.php
Originally Posted by 1lessdog

Just like last yr, They wont be here till late March early April.

Care to place money on that one. Nothing but forties and fifties in the forecast and a clear path on the westside the birds will likely be smacking the Border by The weekend.

1lessdog, I hope you put money on it. Looks like you are going to be spot on.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
cache.php
Originally Posted by 1lessdog

Just like last yr, They wont be here till late March early April.

1lessdog, I hope you put money on it. Looks like you are going to be spot on.
I would have already won they started crossing that Thursday!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took 83 down to Strasburg and headed east, didn't see anything but handfuls of canadas sitting on the ice. The one small group of snows I saw was probably 20 miles east of Hague. Gonna be a while till the mass is here with the forecast.

25 miles south and there is a shit ton fil delivers that area for ups said multiple tornados in the herried area

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would have already won they started crossing that Thursday!

There have been 6 snows coming off the sugerbeet holding pond all winter you want to count them to??

Anyone talking about snows smacking the border and then a few 100's come across. Well then you win. When I talk Im talking hunt able numbers.

Maybe Nean Delson will pipe in and straighten it all out.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are or ateast were large numbers in state so feel free to be a ass but never the less the migration arrived right on time!

- - - Updated - - -

25 miles south and there is a shit ton fil delivers that area for ups said multiple tornados in the herried area
Yeah you get out east of 83 on the Nodak side and that's the worst spot to be since it's got the most snow left.

Last edited:

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dean wasn’t far off...
everyone talks about the snowline. It’s should be called the water line .ive seen birds push real hard into snow covered fields with water a available . Those temps that got into the teens froze any water they had. Had it stayed Into the mid or upper 20’s we would have huntable birds. There gonna come in this week again and if you looks at Thursday and Friday with lows forecast into the singles or low teens the same shit will happen. Of course this whole week birds will squirt up the river but the mass will hang where the first/last available water is however you want look at it

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dean wasn’t far off...
everyone talks about the snowline. It’s should be called the water line .ive seen birds push real hard into snow covered fields with water a available . Those temps that got into the teens froze any water they had. Had it stayed Into the mid or upper 20’s we would have huntable birds. There gonna come in this week again and if you looks at Thursday and Friday with lows forecast into the singles or low teens the same shit will happen. Of course this whole week birds will squirt up the river but the mass will hang where the first/last available water is however you want look at it
That pretty good sized storm coming is going to make things interesting. It keep oscillating back and forth between the North Dakota Border in the Nebraska border on each model run. Odds definitely look real that it may hit right where the main flock is at so could have a situation where we open up before they do down south and the birds shoot through fast after being hung up.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like the mass is currently in the dakota's,huntin bud from lincoln neb that hunts the rain water basin hasn't seen a snow goose in 5 days,they all boogied north.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82