Time to buy a new pickup?

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question for the Jones: I have a 2004 Chev DuraMax 2500 diesel. Paid for. 145,000 miles, injectors changed at the obligatory 100,000. 4-5 yrs ago .LB 7. Put new tires at 125,000.Basically no heavy or towing the last 3-4 yrs..or before for that matter(perhaps small boat or Ranger). Only use for 5-6000 miles a year.. don't see using it more than that in the near future...so..for you Jones's out there..0% interest to upgrade MIGHT make sense to upgrade..or does it? and go

Doesn't sound like you need to own a truck at all.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just saw a Ford advertisement for up to $16k off of a new F150.

Now if they would only do that for the F250s.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
How far off is a HD 150 from a regular 250 ? I racked up a lot of miles with 350s but never owned a 250. When I was shopping a few years ago I bought a used 08 HD 150. outside of the payload it seems to pull what I pull just as good as the 350s . Weight wise I have no clue what the difference is but if you pull a heavy camper then I can see where you like bigger iron. I was looking for a 4 door car with a box but ended up with a truck.

Last edited:

TWN

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been shopping as well but for me the biggest reason is I don't like to have to fix my vehicles. Routine maintenance I am really good at but once a vehicle starts to have some problems I just want out. Looking at new F350 diesels, going to trade my 2013 diesel with 95k on it. The only major repair has been the reductant heater for the DEF system. I know it can be deleted and run a long time but I don't want to deal with that. There are some good deals on 19's as the 2020 has a new engine and 10 speed transmission, not sure if a person should take a deal on the 19 or bite the bullet and get 25 more HP and a 10 speed transmission. Sorry for a bit of a hijack, but there are many reasons to trade (or not) and sometimes its just because you want a new vehicle! TW

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -

Actually this is true as GM is ramping up
assembley lines to make ventilater's instead of vehicles incase you missed the news
I’m getting my ducks in a row. There should be something coming down the pipe. You will have to get through the sales line of “well there not making more right now”. Haha

Last edited:

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
dodge sucks for longivity,road salt eats up the stamped sheet metal in a couple years,you get what you pay for,but if a guy trades every couple years dodge is the cheapest way to go but a kick in the nutz when ya trade

Snow, you are saying Dodge rusts more/faster than GM? Since 1974 I have owned about 10 or so Chevy/GMC and I really question your statement.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well question all you want,GM went to double sided galvinized steel in 1988 giving the trucks a 6yr 100k corrosion warrenty since 1988 older GM trucks showed rust after one winter agreed,further dodge uses one piece stamped sheet metal,filmsey comes to mind,slam the door of a ram then do the same with ford and GM not the tin can sound like dodge has,both ford and GM also has built in door reinforment,dodge doesn't incase of side impact....so thats my take,grew up ford been GM dealer for 30 yrs but always take a look at the competition except for toyo,,but keep in mind pretty sure north dakota doesn't use the salt like minn does so dodge guyz can dodge the bullet a couple years I guess for rusting out.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - -
assembley lines to make ventilater's instead of vehicles incase you missed the news

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Captain Ahab
I’m getting my ducks in a row. There should be something coming down the pipe. You will have to get through the sales line of “well there not making more right now”. Haha

That's precisely why I mentioned it.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Some of you are braver than I am. I’m not buying shit for quite some time.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well question all you want,GM went to double sided galvinized steel in 1988 giving the trucks a 6yr 100k corrosion warrenty since 1988 older GM trucks showed rust after one winter agreed,further dodge uses one piece stamped sheet metal,filmsey comes to mind,slam the door of a ram then do the same with ford and GM not the tin can sound like dodge has,both ford and GM also has built in door reinforment,dodge doesn't incase of side impact....so thats my take,grew up ford been GM dealer for 30 yrs but always take a look at the competition except for toyo,,but keep in mind pretty sure north dakota doesn't use the salt like minn does so dodge guyz can dodge the bullet a couple years I guess for rusting out.
My 2011 Ram is just starting to show some rust and that's where the paint has chipped from gravel roads. Oh and I don't wash it every week like some people, maybe once a month if it's lucky. IMO they all are about the same now days. And ND uses plenty of salt too.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
A head of the curve eh capt....the UAW strike didn't help matter's,dealers are just getting HD trucks now,the all new 2021 taco's and subs are slow coming out as well because of this issue (90 days out)expect some healthy rebates on these two models(2020) when the 2021's hit.FYI
- - - Updated - -

cache.php
Originally Posted by Captain Ahab

That's precisely why I mentioned it.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why wouldn't you just get the ford version of there F150 with the 3.0L diesel? I would expect if everything is equal, they likely get within a couple mpg of each other and when your approaching 30 mpg, a difference of one or two mpg doesn't mean much.

There is 4 mpgs difference between the Chev and Ford 1/2 ton diesels. Even as a ford guy the gm stuff rides better down the highway and that's what Id mainly be looking for.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 2011 Ram is just starting to show some rust and that's where the paint has chipped from gravel roads. Oh and I don't wash it every week like some people, maybe once a month if it's lucky. IMO they all are about the same now days. And ND uses plenty of salt too.

My '10 Chevy is just starting to do the same. Mine has been washed about the same and in SD with plenty of salt as well. My dad's '13 is doing it too. Just rock chips and above the rear wheels. Seems comparable to most other brands I have encountered.

RNinND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting topic as I've been watching 1/2 ton truck prices wondering when the best deals will be. I'm down to ford or ram. On my current ram I had rust prone areas sprayed with rhino coating as I drive lots of gravel. It has been flawless. So if I go with ram again will just have it sprayed again. Not sure what the ford aluminum body looks like after getting pounded with gravel? Which one squats more with tongue weight? Don't want bags. Thanks

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of you are braver than I am. I’m not buying shit for quite some time.

What about TP? Now we have a hamburger hoarding problem here. Stores are limiting burger. I might have to hire the Hamburgler to do my bidding:)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What about TP? Now we have a hamburger hoarding problem here. Stores are limiting burger. I might have to hire the Hamburgler to do my bidding:)

We had to limit it here because we had all the idiots from big towns driving down and buying it all. Its better now that work spread you cant come and do that. Not one bag of flour on the shelves either. They all must be taking up baking during the lock down

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82