Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) in SW ND

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dickinson was founding in 1891 by the family caring the same name, they endured several hardships in the founding of this now great city, but the first hardship was of course that of being a former family of circus midgets. They built mainly little homes, and had various tiny out houses, it became the basis of the high school mascot, and also explains the need for history to not be changed to fit the newly offended generation of big people, and their inability to except the honor and redeeming qualities of the Mighty Midget.
800.jpg

Attachments

800.jpg

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh Boo Hoo. I need a tag refund. Poor me, a deer disease broke out and now I can’t shoot fish in a barrel. Dear G&F, can I please have a refund so I can put that money toward feeding my family?

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do I have to have bought a license to get a refund. Just asking for Davey!!! :::

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am very sorry to hear this. That’s a sad deal. Getting tags is a big wait and then EHD kills most of the deer.
Not really in this particular case. Most of these units are either a guaranteed whitetail buck tag draw with zero preference points or borderline guaranteed with only a handful of people not drawing. As for digging stock dams Deeper like lunker was talking about that's just stupid! The vast majority of these little nasty Critters come out of those slow little seeping Springs that exists in God knows how many different low spots and draws across the West. The main reason why water is always a big part of the equation with EHD is not so much to do with stopping the midge but it's the simple fact that the deer end up with a high fever and so they tend to try to cool themselves off in the water. Thus the reason why they're often found dead either in the water or very near it. It's not that those deeper bodies of water are the main source of the problem it is in the end those little low mucky spots with tiny little bits of water that you step in in the bottom of the draws. The fact that anyone in any of these units would be willing to trade in their whitetail buck tag simply baffles me! I mean if this was 2E or 2K2 and you were allowed to get your preference points back that would be one thing but these are units where your draw rate is basically completely guaranteed for whitetail bucks so why the hell wouldn't you just go hunting? Sure it might not be as good as what it could have been but it's sure the hell of a lot better than sitting on the damn couch! You're still going to draw next year so who gives a crap about lower numbers this year get out there and get after them!!! It's not like you have to worry about annihilateing the population because all you have to do is look at the track record of this situation since this particular record has been played over and over and over again and every single time a deer population bounces back at an extremely high rate.

- - - Updated - - -

Dickinson was founding in 1891 by the family caring the same name, they endured several hardships in the founding of this now great city, but the first hardship was of course that of being a former family of circus midgets. They built mainly little homes, and had various tiny out houses, it became the basis of the high school mascot, and also explains the need for history to not be changed to fit the newly offended generation of big people, and their inability to except the honor and redeeming qualities of the Mighty Midget.
A slightly ironic statement considering that's not how the hell that name came to be! That name originated when I radio announcer in the 1920's if I remember correctly simply referred to the basketball team as our little midgets due to the fact that they tended to be pretty short and it's stuck.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone know of any taxidermists in unit 3F2? Just in case I get lucky I'll need one to at least cape it out for me.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone know of any taxidermists in unit 3F2? Just in case I get lucky I'll need one to at least cape it out for me.

it’s actually not too hard to do if you’ve got a warm place to work (hotel room) :)

- - - Updated - - -

it would not be fun at 3 d d d d degrees

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just don't have the patience or steady hand for going around the eyes and such.

Disposable scalpels available in any farm/ranch supply store specifically around the eyes/nose/lips. They're about $3-$4 each. Small very thin and short blades with a relatively blunt point to keep you from "poking through" but that thin/sharp blade is also very precise about cutting where you guide it to cut.

This is the blade "shape" I prefer and I can usually find them @ Fleet Farm, TSC, or Runnings near the stuff used to treat cattle/horses:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W9PGMPJ/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
after about 10 minutes you’re telling yourself this takes forever. then 20 minutes in, you’re done and you’re wondering what the big deal was

the only “microsurgery” that takes place is getting the skin/hair loose around the knobby/irregular antler bases.

sticking your fingers under the eyelids/cheeks to figure out where to cut the translucent membrane takes the mistake factor out

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you saw somebody do it you'd be kinda pissed how easy it is ;)

Could you make a video for us
I can skin other furry creatures but I have never seen a deer head done, when I was a kid we would just skin down to the head and cut the head off, so to leave the skin intact.
This could be under that list of things a grown man should know without youtubing it i suppose.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ll try to remember

When I was a kid, my Uncle (veterinary pathologist at Cal Davis) showed me a few tricks that are applicable to darn near everything

I even skinned mice for practice

I’m slow compared to any “skinners” but I get job done

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Avoid skinning anything in the Weasel family if you can help it, or be prepared to gag a lot. While everyone knows that skunks stink, the rest of the weasel family is just about as bad. You about need gasoline to get that stink off your hands when you're done........

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Johnr, Is the city still nicknamed the 'Queen City'? Asking for a friend.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84