Getting pumped: Deer opener!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
by the size of my neck, I am pretty sure I must be in rut

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not everyone in ND lives in CST, those of us lucky enough to escape the draws of east river ND get to hunt at 11am MST on the opening day of deer season, so of course I get to hunt an entire hour prior.

The boy had his deer down, gutted and hanging before noon

I guess I would ask where in the proclamation it states that deer gun season opens STATEWIDE at noon Central Time! All it states is that all units open "Nov.5 (12 noon), closes on Nov.21 and is a 16 1/2 day season".

Show me where I am wrong and a hunter can shoot a deer at 11:01 am Mountain time in a deer zone in Mountain time and be legal. I would say that if the boy had his deer gutted and hanging before noon, he broke the law and I wouldn't be broadcasting that info!

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have not had a tag for four years, and this year when I get one it's the worst year I have seen for bucks. We did see one buck chasing does about a mile away in the end of a deep valley. My grandson waded across the Sheyenne River, walked 3/4 mile, then belly crawled the last 100 yards glassing the far side in layers as he crawled. After laying on his stomach for 3.5 hours a doe came out. A half hour later Mr. buck came out to see his girl. Ten seconds later he was venison.

The disturbing thing this fall is we are seeing very few fawns. Maybe one out of five does has a fawn. Disease or coyotes getting them in the spring. The renter took his cattle out Thursday and said his son seen six coyotes.

Going out with another grandson this coming weekend.

Exact opposite where I have hunted in 3E2. The fawns are far more plentiful than the adults. It's weird seeing a herd of 4-7 fawns with no adults.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure I have never seen that before, but I have seen a couple of "fawn" herds this year.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I guess I would ask where in the proclamation it states that deer gun season opens STATEWIDE at noon Central Time! All it states is that all units open "Nov.5 (12 noon), closes on Nov.21 and is a 16 1/2 day season".

Show me where I am wrong and a hunter can shoot a deer at 11:01 am Mountain time in a deer zone in Mountain time and be legal. I would say that if the boy had his deer gutted and hanging before noon, he broke the law and I wouldn't be broadcasting that info!

The season opens at 12 noon central time. Just browse the ND G&F site a while. You will find it.
….and since you asked it is on the very bottom of page 1 of the proclamation in a section entitled: HOURS OF HUNTING.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I learned the western North Dakota opener the hard way. Opening of archery antelope after five years of no hunting had us excited about dumb antelope. On our way to a hunting spot we seen a real nice and real dumb antelope. We drove down the road a mile and decided to have an early lunch while we waited for 12:00 noon. He got some idea in his head and took off for parts unknown. A local rancher asked why we didn't shoot that "goat" since season opened at 11:00 mountain time.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Exact opposite where I have hunted in 3E2. The fawns are far more plentiful than the adults. It's weird seeing a herd of 4-7 fawns with no adults.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure I have never seen that before, but I have seen a couple of "fawn" herds this year.
[MENTION=389]Allen[/MENTION] gees you are a colorful guy! : )

carry on .

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
The season opens at 12 noon central time. Just browse the ND G&F site a while. You will find it.

Found it:

HOURS OF HUNTING
are one-half (1⁄2) hour before sunrise to one-half (1⁄2) hour after sunset except when seasons open as noted above. Hunters must cease any hunting activity, leave any stand or blind, and must be in the process of leaving the field at the close of shooting hours (one-half (1⁄2) hour after sunset). All season openers are Central Time.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

Not looking to cause any trouble, but pretty sure we are going to be okay. Appreciate you checking for me though, last thing I need is GNF to be sniffing my poop.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found it:

HOURS OF HUNTING
are one-half (1⁄2) hour before sunrise to one-half (1⁄2) hour after sunset except when seasons open as noted above. Hunters must cease any hunting activity, leave any stand or blind, and must be in the process of leaving the field at the close of shooting hours (one-half (1⁄2) hour after sunset). All season openers are Central Time.

nay mea culpa??

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The next 7 days should be a stag party.;)

I had seven different bucks in my back yard 1/2 hour before sunset last night. A doe come in head near the ground, tail straight out, and hummed up. Boom a buck came out of the brush and bred her. She took off with him in tow. The whole thing took 20 seconds. After that I couldn't settle for any of the three bucks still standing there.
I drained my Koi pond a week ago. About 20 minutes after sunset an OK 4x4 came in, ate a little bit, then went to the waterfall to get a drink. Since the pond was drained the waterfall was not there. Then he climbed up into the raised bog that filters the pond. When he found that dry he climbed down through the rocks to the bottom of the pond where about four inches of water remains. All this less than ten yards from the bedroom patio door. It was fun watching.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do any of you go out during a wind advisory? Hopefully my wife can shoot in the wind...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had seven different bucks in my back yard 1/2 hour before sunset last night. A doe come in head near the ground, tail straight out, and hummed up. Boom a buck came out of the brush and bred her. She took off with him in tow. The whole thing took 20 seconds. After that I couldn't settle for any of the three bucks still standing there.
I drained my Koi pond a week ago. About 20 minutes after sunset an OK 4x4 came in, ate a little bit, then went to the waterfall to get a drink. Since the pond was drained the waterfall was not there. Then he climbed up into the raised bog that filters the pond. When he found that dry he climbed down through the rocks to the bottom of the pond where about four inches of water remains. All this less than ten yards from the bedroom patio door. It was fun watching.
Sounds like the Hot Blonde and the bartender at closing time.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do any of you go out during a wind advisory? Hopefully my wife can shoot in the wind...
Not normally. If the winds are that they tend to stay hunkered down. That said its a great time to go out and hit those rockplies out in the middle of nowhere. It might seem like a waste of time but about the time you hit Rockpile number 13 when suddenly a 180 class Whitetail comes exploding out of a piece of gravel no bigger than the Chevy pickup..... it certainly gets your blood going to say the very least

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not everyone in ND lives in CST, those of us lucky enough to escape the draws of east river ND get to hunt at 11am MST on the opening day of deer season, so of course I get to hunt an entire hour prior.

The boy had his deer down, gutted and hanging before noon

Damn, you former easterners turned human had me thinking. I am damn sure I have never filled my tag on opening day, much less in the first hour.

I need to get better at this shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Hell, I can't even get a mental picture of the buck (might be a bad assumption, but read on) I'd need to see to shoot opening weekend. Must be a dandy!

I just got to thinking about my history during the rifle deer season and am pretty sure that I have shot 2, MAYBE 3 deer on opening weekend as in Sat or Sun, and none on opening day, For example I shot my doe yesterday with the ML just for the fun of it after passing on does over opening weekend as I tried to help others fill their tag first. Now we get to hunt for their deer again tomorrow. That's not many shots fired on opening weekend out of 37'ish deer gun seasons I've been in state to enjoy.

No point to all this, just surprised I haven't unleashed some lead earlier in the season than the data shows. This would suggest I don't do enough pre-season work. Or something like that.

Last edited:

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not normally. If the winds are that they tend to stay hunkered down. That said its a great time to go out and hit those rockplies out in the middle of nowhere. It might seem like a waste of time but about the time you hit Rockpile number 13 when suddenly a 180 class Whitetail comes exploding out of a piece of gravel no bigger than the Chevy pickup..... it certainly gets your blood going to say the very least
Good to see you back, Dean. Been a while...

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn, you former easterners turned human had me thinking. I am damn sure I have never filled my tag on opening day, much less in the first hour.

I need to get better at this shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Hell, I can't even get a mental picture of the buck (might be a bad assumption, but read on) I'd need to see to shoot opening weekend. Must be a dandy!

I just got to thinking about my history during the rifle deer season and am pretty sure that I have shot 2, MAYBE 3 deer on opening weekend as in Sat or Sun, and none on opening day, For example I shot my doe yesterday with the ML just for the fun of it after passing on does over opening weekend as I tried to help others fill their tag first. Now we get to hunt for their deer again tomorrow. That's not many shots fired on opening weekend out of 37'ish deer gun seasons I've been in state to enjoy.

No point to all this, just surprised I haven't unleashed some lead earlier in the season than the data shows. This would suggest I don't do enough pre-season work. Or something like that.
I filled my rifle tag on opening day one time in all my years of hunting. Was the buck in my avatar and back in 2010. Have yet to shoot a whitetail buck again with a rifle. Partly because I've been trying to get mule deer but mostly just because I'm much more picky. Big bucks are expensive to deal with after the kill haha

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member

Boy, some of the best times for us to hunt used to be that first hour after opener. Where I hunt regularly -- when I draw a tag -- it was very common to have deer kicked up as folks walked in at noon. They'd come screaming to the woods we were in, look back, then calmly saunter by inside 50 yards. It paid to be hunkered down an hour or more ahead of noon, just to get settled in.

Those were the good old days! Maybe next year I'll draw again.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79