Camping with dogs/rattle snakes

Grizzly Adams

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want to go camping at magpie campground next weekend. I want to do a little hiking and bring the dog. Have never camped in rattlesnake country with a dog. What tips do y’all have to help keep her away from the pinchy basturds

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the snake vaccine is available in ND, even if you might have to call around to find it. It works, I know a dog that probably owes her life to it.

The other thing one can do is to intentionally find a rattler, and with the benefit of a good leash and shock collar, teach the dog that you won't tolerate it playing with snakes. I watched a snake-breaking dog clinic a few years ago and they weren't very nice to the dogs. However, after the dog went through the process, it didn't want anything at all to do with a rattlesnake.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I believe the snake vaccine is available in ND, even if you might have to call around to find it. It works, I know a dog that probably owes her life to it.

The other thing one can do is to intentionally find a rattler, and with the benefit of a good leash and shock collar, teach the dog that you won't tolerate it playing with snakes. I watched a snake-breaking dog clinic a few years ago and they weren't very nice to the dogs. However, after the dog went through the process, it didn't want anything at all to do with a rattlesnake.

Sounds like that could be a pretty pricey training session?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

they use de fanged snakes. It’s a fairly simple process show dog snake . Dog looks at snake turn ecollar as high as it goes and burn them. It’s not a literal burn that’s just the term used.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man, this is easy staying out of bear country, rattlesnake country, and trailer park campgrounds with barking dogs.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
shorthairs are fast - fast enough to play around with one until you drop the dogtra to max shock.

- - - Updated - - -

I would give magpie a break --- 6 months out of the year somebody is hunting it.

Grizzly Adams

Founding Member
Founding Member
shorthairs are fast - fast enough to play around with one until you drop the dogtra to max shock.

- - - Updated - - -

I would give magpie a break --- 6 months out of the year somebody is hunting it.
Luckily I wasn’t asking permission to go camping there

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a friend whose dog tangled with a porcupine while camping with the family in the badlands. Took it to the vet but it was so bad, they ended up putting it down. Not a good memory for the family.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My lab used to leave snakes alone but this year is something else. Just grass or sand snakes but she will grab them by the tail and play "snap the whip" with them. Pieces of snake flying every where. I dont like snakes whole or piecemeal. LB No pictures please;:;rofl

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

A number of years ago, NAVHDA had a snake breaking session at my place. I think they charged $50 a dog. Basically covering the cost of the guy who brought the snakes and a bit extra as a fund raiser for the group.

But yeah, playing with a snake in the wild is often a recipe for disaster.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have no idea what my Jack Russell mix would do if she saw a snake? Guessing she would grab it...she goes after anything alive that moves...birds, squirrels, rabbits, fish...anything.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have no idea what my Jack Russell mix would do if she saw a snake? Guessing she would grab it...she goes after anything alive that moves...birds, squirrels, rabbits, fish...anything.

Too bad BobKat is no longer around, he has a great story of a Jack Russell terrier trained and used to clean out fox dens. I guess they go a lot deeper than I had expected.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yup...Hazel is part JR part Blue Healer...so she is bigger than a pure bred JR...she's 40 pounds and freaking solid. But she runs low to the ground and cuts on a dime like a JR.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Besides the hunting, pretty sure that area just burned and is pretty stirred up because of all the fire response activity going on. Just my .02.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know the opinions are mixed on the rattlesnake vaccine, but my dad's dog had it and was bitten right on the face. She did really well considering and the vet said it was the difference between her making it and not. He totally believes in the shot. Unfortunately you do need a booster every year and timing is somewhat important. We time it to have what is supposed to be maximum effectiveness for September hunting seasons, though she was bitten in June. Well wort the minimal cost.

As far as snake breaking, I would certainly do that if someone did it close. Exactly as described, snakes and electricity. But it seems to work.

Only other advice I'd say is the obvious- if you are worried about snakes, don't let the dog wander beyond leash range. Never know where a snake is coiled up, be it under a vehicle or behind the next bush. Part of the game unfortunately. Good luck!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82