1955 good housewife guide

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.littlethings.com/1950s-g...e=hds&utm_campaign=houses&utm_medium=Facebook

- - - Updated - - -
1.) Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs.
2.) Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favorite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

wife-21.jpg
3.) Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you’ll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.
4.) Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

wife-3.jpg
5.) Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper, etc. and then run a dust cloth over the tables.

1950s-housewife-600x854.jpg
6.) Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

wife-5-600x750.jpg
7.) Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children’s hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair and, if necessary, change their clothes.
8.) Children are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part. Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

wife-6-600x782.jpg
9.) Be happy to see him. Free him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him. Listen to him.
10.) You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first — remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

wife-7.jpg
11.) Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax.

wife-8.jpg
12.) Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquility where you husband can renew himself in body and spirit.
13.) Don’t greet him with complaints and problems.

wife-10-600x755.jpg
14.) Don’t complain if he’s late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

wife-11-600x723.jpg
15.) Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.
16.) Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

wife-53-600x728.jpg
17.) Don’t ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment of integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

wife-13-600x824.jpg
18.) A good wife always knows her place.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I told my wife we are implementing these guidelines starting Monday. She told me I better find a new wife. I guess I'll have to look for an older woman.

I'm a fan of # 14 & 15 naturally.

Last edited by a moderator:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
that is good, but back then not many women worked, and if they didn't have a job something better get done.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife said she would be a stay at home mom if she could still take the kids to daycare.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gotta show this to mrs. dirtymike. I did notice one glaring omission. #19. Encourage your husband to fish whenever he possibly can. Become proficient in loading and unloading a boat as he may have had too many busch lights while away.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahab, I tried that. I wouldn't trust her when she promises you she will be happy. Women get bored easier than we do. Boredom leads to unhappiness and lots of ideas on how to spend more of the less money being brought home. It definitely didn't lead to a whole lot more of items 1-20 listed in the link above.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought it might be real until the last couple, not sure if those are real, but I guess they could be. I'd have to see a physical copy of the magazine, since some of those are a little over the top.

There were many in those days that lived that way though, to a certain degree. If a wife didn't know number #18 they were often beat, and no one blinked an eye.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
One I looked at years ago was less "over the top" and sarcastic. My opinion is that it's not historically accurate. But entertaining.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
mrs johnr is a woman who can, and does bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan, however most of these tips are part of her MO.
She is a woman who was raised in this manner, and tends to be more 1950'ish than 2015'ish.

she doesn't act the servant towards our marriage, but does know that men and women are different, and in this have different roles.

Imagine how happy the guy with the "I am a strong black woman" feels after reading this post. I hope he enjoys making his own dinner, and then kissing her butt, hoping to have an ice cold Busch light.

I am a lucky fella, and would like to think she feels lucky too....

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh for fucks sake!!! Anyone ever met this pink elephant unicorn of a creature called Mrs johnr?!! Pics please or I won't believe you. Matter of fact, I'm beginning to doubt whether John himself is real too.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh for fucks sake!!! Anyone ever met this pink elephant unicorn of a creature called Mrs johnr?!! Pics please or I won't believe you. Matter of fact, I'm beginning to doubt whether John himself is real too.

LMAO

yes she is real, as am I...

she has also won a fishing tournament up at the Skunk bay ladies day tourney. So any of the western FBO'rs that were there would have seen her and witnessed her awesomeness...haha

- - - Updated - - -

Here she is at my daughters softball game last summer, that one day I gave her a break from her house duties....haha

dgfsgfds.jpg

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I'll be darned. She looks too good to be as grrrreeeaattt as you claim. But, I will take your word for it. My apologies to you and the once thought to be mythical Mrs johnr.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahab, I tried that. I wouldn't trust her when she promises you she will be happy. Women get bored easier than we do. Boredom leads to unhappiness and lots of ideas on how to spend more of the less money being brought home. It definitely didn't lead to a whole lot more of items 1-20 listed in the link above.

Don't worry. I laughed at the idea of being a stay-at-home mom and then taking the kids to day care. The reason for staying home typically is the fact you are taking care of the kids and not paying day care. Ha ha

- - - Updated - - -

LMAO

yes she is real, as am I...

she has also won a fishing tournament up at the Skunk bay ladies day tourney. So any of the western FBO'rs that were there would have seen her and witnessed her awesomeness...haha

- - - Updated - - -

Here she is at my daughters softball game last summer, that one day I gave her a break from her house duties....haha

IMG_0937.JPG

Not to shabby for a balding, chubby dude.;)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 155
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88