1955 good housewife guide

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont know how lucky she is, but you sure as hell got lucky.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought it might be real until the last couple, not sure if those are real, but I guess they could be. I'd have to see a physical copy of the magazine, since some of those are a little over the top.

There were many in those days that lived that way though, to a certain degree. If a wife didn't know number #18 they were often beat, and no one blinked an eye.

I'm told by my wife it's real. A high school classmate of hers was given this article by her grandma on the day of her wedding. She had kept it since 1955 and was "dead serious" about her following these guidelines.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read this to my stay at home wife and she threw things at me ����

That's on the next page of the magazine. Unlucky for you she's seen the whole thing, the list in the OP is far better out of context.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read this to my stay at home wife and she threw things at me ����

You got off EASY!!! My wife threatened me with following all those rules if I came out of retirement and GOT A JOB!!!! I don't believe her though, so I'll just stay retired.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tossing her a Hershey's kiss (even one of the gourmet ones) when you're impressed rapidly loses appeal as a reward thanks to the gd liberal tv channels, lawyers and judges.

th

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm told by my wife it's real. A high school classmate of hers was given this article by her grandma on the day of her wedding. She had kept it since 1955 and was "dead serious" about her following these guidelines.

Definitely real. We bought a book at the thrift store, 1941 published by New York Herald Tribune called "America's Housekeeping Book". Very similar to the article, only it's almost 600 pages of goodness! Don't think my wife took to reading it very thoroughly....I have yet to see her in an apron or iron my clothes, and her understanding of pot/pan cupboard management just plain sucks.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was afraid to show it to my wife.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should be required reading with the new common core system.
A world full of schleppies is just around the corner

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88