1x scope

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a sight you’ll maybe like a lot

peep in back, crosshairs in front.

Remind me next week and I’ll post info if interested
Growing up my Dad had a target 22 with sights like that. I believe it was a Mossberg bolt action. Cann't remember the model. Deadly on sparrows in the top of a tree.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes 1X scopes are hard to find I had some 20 years ago, must be the demand is to low. WIll have to dig deep find gun shop with old stock maybe or good used.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy's recommendation looks interesting, I would like to take a few shots with one of those.

@andyb15 To the OP I put a 1x prism scope on my daughters .410 turkey shotgun (Vortex Spitfire) and I will say that while it is nice and clean for a sight pitcher it is really different to get used to, I have shot it from 20yds to 40yds. The way it shrinks things down kind of messes with me. At some point I do plan on throwing it on an AR just to see what it is like on targets and stretching distance out a little bit beings I don't have a muzzle loader but part of my original intentions were if I hunted with a muzzleloader I would swipe that off the .410 and sight it in on the muzzy. Otherwise I agree with the red dot guys, I think if you have not shot with one before see if you can find anyone that has one on a long gun or even a pistol that will let you try theirs and stretch it out to at least 40yds to see what you think. All I can offer is if you are in the Fargo area you can check out my .410 and if we meet at my farm you can shoot it a little to get a feel.
Congrats and good luck

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not at all against red-dots being legal, go nuts. For my own personal uses, I despise batteries, especially smaller "coin" batteries, necessary for something I'm fairly certain I'm going to be using in significant cold weather. For me it's not ethics, I just don't trust them to be reliable in Dec weather.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not at all against red-dots being legal, go nuts. For my own personal uses, I despise batteries, especially smaller "coin" batteries, necessary for something I'm fairly certain I'm going to be using in significant cold weather. For me it's not ethics, I just don't trust them to be reliable in Dec weather.
That is the reason I figured I would try the prism scope. You have a black reticle still but have the option to turn it on and have it be red or green and adjust brightness. I have played with all three when sighting it in and verifying before turkey opener, my preference is no illumination with a close second to green. Is illumination on for muzzy legal? I've never thought about checking into that

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
At my age I simply don't see open sights other than seeing t h e front or the back, but not both at the same time. I installed a high quality fiber optic and the first 5x5 that came past a little before sunrise the front sight glowed so brightly I couldn't see the deer. Now I have a 1x from Thompson Center. My choice now would be my inexpensive red dot from Sig with shake awake and auto brightness.

Describing my eyes to a T, went red dot route, couldn't be happier

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cannot find it but I thought I read many yrs ago on G&F that illuminated dots/reticles were illegal for muzzleloader ? Right , wrong ?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 241
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 70