2016 ND Deer Opener

esoxpirate

As an active duty member, you should be able to get a tag for the same as a resident.

That's how it was the first time I was stationed here. Now you have to have a ND Drivers License or ID number in order to apply for resident Deer Gun, Deer Black Powder, Turkey, Sawn, Big Horn, Elk, and Moose.

I still have my Wisconsin Drivers license, as I still claim it to be my home of residence for benefits when I do retire.

I am able to still attain Archery Deer, fishing, small game and waterfowl at residents rates of which I am thankful for.

Esox

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's how it was the first time I was stationed here. Now you have to have a ND Drivers License or ID number in order to apply for resident Deer Gun, Deer Black Powder, Turkey, Sawn, Big Horn, Elk, and Moose.

I still have my Wisconsin Drivers license, as I still claim it to be my home of residence for benefits when I do retire.

I am able to still attain Archery Deer, fishing, small game and waterfowl at residents rates of which I am thankful for.

Esox

I followed this fairly closely until theWisconsin DL part…then for some reason all I read was blah.blah….blah, blah,blah…blah blah ;)

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im thinking of boycotting Wisconsin cheese soup even. I just don't know if I have the strength though.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha. If I take a picture for the internet she won't be gutted yet. Gutted deer don't take nice pictures.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member

Esox
ive been a tad bit unhappy with our game and fish as of late but this is kinda ridiculous, you can apply as a resident for some but not all? i thought active duty was all resident on there, maybe with a phone call you could get something cleared up as how to apply in your situation?

esoxpirate

ive been a tad bit unhappy with our game and fish as of late but this is kinda ridiculous, you can apply as a resident for some but not all? i thought active duty was all resident on there, maybe with a phone call you could get something cleared up as how to apply in your situation?

I have had a few phone calls and a few email exchanges with ND game and fish on the subject. I get everything from contact your local lawmakers to see about changing residency restriction, to and explanation that the change was due to decline of the deer population, that they had to reduce the number of applicants.

Esox

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
No opener for me. Myself a buddy and my wife all drew 4b tags but I'm electing to wait to head out. Weather looks warm so I'm going out the 10th til the end. Was out during archery and found some great pockets to hunt. I also figure waiting to go will eliminate some of the crowd.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
As an active duty member, you should be able to get a tag for the same as a resident.

You still have to maintain residency which is smart. I paid ND taxes and kept my ND drivers license my entire career just so I could come back and hunt every year.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You still have to maintain residency which is smart. I paid ND taxes and kept my ND drivers license my entire career just so I could come back and hunt every year.
I did the same. Hell, I did the same in chiro school as well. I wasn't about to lose my hunting abilities as a resident. That and when I bought a car in Minnesota, it was nice to pay taxes in ND.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well rez season opened a week and I half ago but hadn't been down till this morning and that was very brief. didn't get onto the rez till ten after eight and was back off at nine thirty. was mainly down just to check out what it's like down there with all the craziness going on down there. hit two spots for glassing and was not even very thorough in doing that but that said there were a shit pot of deer out and about and I ended up seeing 41 deer in right around an hour of looking. hopefully it wasn't a fluke because thats by far the best deer numbers and densities I've seen in years. there were deer every place there should have been and even a few where you wouldn't expect. rut activity was at an absolute zero but the bucks were all running solo even the mules so it's getting close.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
dean, great news! i was pondering with all the chatter wtf am i doing out so early when i have the entire last week and wknd off of the season but looking at this wknds forecast its dog shit for snow goose hunting, other than fishing i might as well be chasing deer maybe finding that buck holed up.

the real questions dean is how many "water protectors" did you come across?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
See a shit ton of what has to be them on 6 in their hybrid out of state plates. got a huge laugh when I saw a hitch hiker today with a need a ride to dapl sign.....the funny part was he tried to get the ride from the big rig in front of me. problem was he was hauling pipe down to the construction site so needless to say he didn't stop.

as for today's deer I went to check on more trails to see their condition . ..lot easier in the daylight then trying to do it in the dark when you have to get to a spot to a certain time. because of this I didn't even check my main spot where I saw over half my deer yesterday. but skipping one of my main spots didn't matter much since I saw 35 deer in about about an hour anyway. best was a upper 140 class mule deer that would have been more like 160 if he had his back forks but as a three he was a year to young.....but he definitely had my attention for a few moments.:;:cheers

buddy has been hunting a few miles south of me and his reports seem to be identical of what I'm seeing so deer season should be pretty good at least in southwestern ND. I never hunted Sioux County in the mid 2000's since I was aways down on the grand river in South Dakota so take it for what it's worth but these are the best deer numbers I've even since 07. sofar it's reminding me of 2K2 back during the peak years because there are deer fucking everywhere!!! hell I saw six deer including the bigger mule deer buck (who was running in with the does by the way) on the road that we call no deer road and it more then earned that name over the years! before today I had seen a total of 5 deer from that road over he last three years combined! I do however have to believe this weekends warm temperature will restrict the deer movements a fair bit not to mention the orange army's effect on them.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the guy I knew who was hunting south of me moved up to where I got me deer last year and taged out tonight. Deer like this scare me because if you bump them they look huge running away then shrink like a SOB as you walk up on them.

IMG_20161103_200154.jpg

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Helped move cows out of the hills today and holey moley for coyotes. If I whack one or ten of them tomorrow are they worth picking up yet?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 62
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19