3" shells for Pheasant

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went to purchase a box of 3" last week, but found they are 200 or more fps less then the 2 3/4".

Ding Ding, we have a winner!! A #4, 5, 6, or whatever your favorite size pellet is, doesn't care how long the hull that it was housed in is. Those pellets only care how fast they are going. More faster = more knockdown/penetration/"power".

- - - Updated - - -

1 and 3/8 2 3/4 is your huckleberry.

That.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use 2 3/4 inch 4's 1 3/8 oz the vast majority iof time for pheasants. That being said, there is no way in hades that load has more knockdown power than 3 inch 1 3/4 shot even with a slightly slower velocity.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
F25,

I promise I don't aim at clays, well maybe guilty if straight away.. a rooster/sharptail as big as a microwave oven will definitely get the "aim". I have and witnessed a lot of destroyed meat. Plant your feet, take your time. Ol' boy ain't gonna outrun the shot charge (unless he gets up at 35yds, in this case one may need to expedite things a bit). I guess I should add; I don't aim at a crosser. I do the "swing-through".

- - - Updated - - -

I also forgot to mention I do my best to keep the bead on the bird after the shot. I guess you could call this follow through. With my amazing technique available for only 9.95; I have purposely broken wings behind a dog (twice--just to see if I was nuts). I now actually try to shave feathers off the back and get good kills when I don't rush and eff up the shot. I don't know if this would work for Ol' Ruff back in the Hills but I'd damn sure have the FC M12 16 to bust through the grapevines and green brier. Never have had to chance. I know she's a good squirrel gun which is indeed very exciting:D.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use 2 3/4 inch 4's 1 3/8 oz the vast majority iof time for pheasants. That being said, there is no way in hades that load has more knockdown power than 3 inch 1 3/4 shot even with a slightly slower velocity.

3" 1 3/4oz has more pellets but the pellets therein carry less energy.

Assuming one is using a fairly open choke early, one might be able to cheat the 3" 1 3/4oz closer to the higher velocity load by adding constriction which should increase pressure and therefore velocity though I haven't chrono'd shotguns for velocity variations based on constriction.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tough time finding that pressure to great. Mag=slow. 1 and 3/8 2 3/4 is your huckleberry.

Yeah, I was holding out some hope based on some of the newer steel shells pushing 1600. I haven't bought a box of lead in probably 7 years so wasn't sure what would be available.

I stuck with the Federal Premium P138 (2.75", 5 shot, 1 3/8oz.) Kept the full choke in. It performed very good.

I have never patterned lead loads out of the gun, but with steel... the federal premium 3" in 2's or BB stood out from the rest. 3.5" steel loads were garbage.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been shooting Fed ulta-mags 1 5/8 2 3/4 1500 fps for years kill a lot of birds. early- late doesn't matter. not many wounded. always have the mind set to shoot for the head

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
3" 1 3/4oz has more pellets but the pellets therein carry less energy.

Assuming one is using a fairly open choke early, one might be able to cheat the 3" 1 3/4oz closer to the higher velocity load by adding constriction which should increase pressure and therefore velocity though I haven't chrono'd shotguns for velocity variations based on constriction.

The heavier shotshells are wicked wicked wicked and very expensive. They have alot more bb's and the energy difference means very little as there is still more than enough energy to penetrate a bird. I use them only for late season roosters and turkeys. Pattern them, its like an anvil hitting a bird.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88