3" shells for Pheasant

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not trying to be a tough guy (more like a cheap ass) but I use whatever I have. A lot of times I use clay pigeon shells. 8 shot game loads.

Late season I try to make sure I have some decent shells.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
first off, I'm from North Dakota so I don't have an O/U. :::. I will keep a 3" as the third shell. Mainly just use 2 3/4" 4 shot. I guess I use the 3" when the bird gets way out there and I need a little more power....

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep in mind generally that larger oz shot will take longer to get to the target. Late season when they jump up a mile ahead of you or windy days like the other day ago when they jump up and are gone --- yup I throw in 3" The older I get --- less about the kill and more about the meat -- so my old box of golden pheasants 3s stays in the bin and I suppose one day it will be an antique.

- - - Updated - - -

PS if your talking 20ga ----- I didn't even know they made a 2 3/4 as I would have a 3 in all the time.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
3 1/2" inch shells have the most power. 10 guage for late season birds.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have tried tricking mrs johnr with the more power in that extra quarter inch, she is onto my tomfoolery

Gus

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 3/4 with worthy retriever and 3 when dog less.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Early in the season I like to put a seven and a half game load in first and two 6's behind with a modified choke. Once the birds get wilder and tougher I go two sixes and a 4 in my full choked 870. I always like to get as many BB's in my pattern as possible. Knockdown punch isn't as important to me because I pass up long shots that most of my hunting partners think are doable. Usually they don't hit those long shots anyway and a box of sixes often lasts me a couple years.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot #4 lead 20g 2-3/4 fastest loads I can find. I want the shot to pass through so I don't chomp it. #2 steel where required. Again max velocity 2-3/4".

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will use em. Not always. Sort of depends on the mood I am in when shopping. We don't hunt in pheasant heaven. So, we don't have a lot of extra opportunities. 3" definitely kills em more deader.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went to purchase a box of 3" last week, but found they are 200 or more fps less then the 2 3/4". so just went with those. If I could find a box of 3" lead at 1500 fps I would buy it. Why not? I have no dog and hate losing birds. More dead is better than dead.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought I posted this last night but can't find it: IMHO, like turkey, pheasants are not made of iron. Any quality "high brass" has plenty of "power". I prefer a full choke for pheasant. Let a close flusher get out there a ways before touching off. Aim the gun like a rifle and put the bead right up it's ass. For crossers, try to concentrate on the head only or (if safe!) actually take the time to re-position your whole body to facilitate the aforementioned bead in the ass technique.:D I have some of those hellfire Fed 2 3/4s ( 1 3/8oz @ 1450) and they are indeed effective on the bird AND shoulder but kill no more dead than a plain Jane Win Super X or Rem Express 1 1/4. IMHE. If you're not used to a FC imagine a 50ft shot string.

You're of course welcome to aim however you feel comfortable, but I shot competitive sporting clays for years and most who
have don't aim like your saying. Like I said though, do what works for ya.

Generally I just use a high velocity 5 shot 2.75 inch. 3 inch no doubt has a little more knockdown, but I don't shoot that till later in the year. We dog hunt with pointers though, so generally we don't need to shoot long shots in early season.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tough time finding that pressure to great. Mag=slow. 1 and 3/8 2 3/4 is your huckleberry.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88