What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
Hunting
Guns and Ammo
30-30 again.
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="PrairieGhost" data-source="post: 403443" data-attributes="member: 704"><p>I walked in to our local sport shop one day and they had a beat up old bolt action Steven's. The extractor was missing and the last owner must have used it as a pogo stick in a gravel pit. I have never seen a muzzle that abused. It was marked $ 199. I told them throw in a set of RCBS dies and I'll give you $150. So off I go with my first 30-30.</p><p>I found an extractor and extra magazine online. I cut a 1/4 inch off the barrel and recrowned. I drilled and tapped a single hole in the reciever and mounted a short mount with one locktite screw and epoxy under the mount. I mounted a small cheap red dot on it and even though the bolt feels like it runs through a corrugated culvert the bullets surprisingly stay in 2.5 inches at 100 yards. I suspect the limitation is my eyes and not the gun. </p><p>The nice thing about the magazine not being tubular is that you can load pointy high ballistic coefficient bullets in it. One grandson used it to shoot a doe in youth season. I loaded 130g bullets at 2700 fps.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="PrairieGhost, post: 403443, member: 704"] I walked in to our local sport shop one day and they had a beat up old bolt action Steven's. The extractor was missing and the last owner must have used it as a pogo stick in a gravel pit. I have never seen a muzzle that abused. It was marked $ 199. I told them throw in a set of RCBS dies and I'll give you $150. So off I go with my first 30-30. I found an extractor and extra magazine online. I cut a 1/4 inch off the barrel and recrowned. I drilled and tapped a single hole in the reciever and mounted a short mount with one locktite screw and epoxy under the mount. I mounted a small cheap red dot on it and even though the bolt feels like it runs through a corrugated culvert the bullets surprisingly stay in 2.5 inches at 100 yards. I suspect the limitation is my eyes and not the gun. The nice thing about the magazine not being tubular is that you can load pointy high ballistic coefficient bullets in it. One grandson used it to shoot a doe in youth season. I loaded 130g bullets at 2700 fps. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: Davy Crockett
Today at 9:11 PM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Obi-Wan
Today at 8:36 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Today at 8:31 PM
J
Mandan Data center pushback
Latest: jer79
Today at 8:29 PM
ESOX
Latest: SDMF
Today at 8:24 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: eyexer
Today at 6:31 PM
SOLD
2007 Ford Taurus
Latest: Zogman
Today at 5:03 PM
K-Drill Blade Sharpening Gone
Latest: Slappy
Yesterday at 12:02 PM
RAIN!!!!
Latest: KDM
Yesterday at 9:29 AM
Tailrace
Latest: MSA
Yesterday at 8:22 AM
L
Jap Beatles
Latest: LBrandt
Monday at 1:40 PM
N
Soybeans
Latest: ndlongshot
Monday at 1:35 PM
Guys with a Yeti....
Latest: johnr
Monday at 10:30 AM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Monday at 8:41 AM
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Sunday at 11:14 PM
Banks Stump Feeder
Latest: Shockwave
Saturday at 11:24 PM
FLOCK Cameras...Thoughts
Latest: Jiffy
Saturday at 9:51 PM
L
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: LBrandt
Friday at 6:03 PM
D
Any youth hunter stories?
Latest: dsharp83
Friday at 12:20 PM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:39 AM
Sale
4 Youth Model rifles
Latest: Lycanthrope
Thursday at 12:11 PM
Friends of NDA
Forums
Hunting
Guns and Ammo
30-30 again.
Top
Bottom