30-30 again.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well alot of us old timers probably still have one or have had one at some point in time. Over the course of 50 or so years I have had six. Three pre 64 Winchesters and three Marlins one 336, two 336T (Texans) have the straight lever.
One Winchester went to a friend whose son moved away and took his.
Second one to a another friend when he turned 40.
Third one traded for a Beretta 303.
One Marlin 336 sold outright.
The First Texan also sold
The remaining Texan is at the NW Angle in safe hands.
Fast forward to the present. Since being in AZ I visit a couple of gun shops every week or more. Spotted a unique looking Marlin on the wall. It had a straight lever, 18 inch barrel, 2/3 magazine tube and a nice slim rubber recoil pad with the Marlin logo stamped in the pad. Extremely nice condition.
It says "Marlin model 30TK. The price was right so I bought it.
I'll try to post a couple of pictures later.

So how many of you old or young got a 30/30???

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The quintessential guns of the Hills were .30/30, 8mm Mauser and Rem 742s in '06 (180grn CoreLokts or nothing). I've only shot one a handful of times and always a scoped Marlin. I had a couple uncles with '94s who refused to "mess up" their guns with side mount scopes.

I want one. When the right deal comes around without the retarded crossbolt safety; I'll be happy.

BTW: One uncle had/still has a .32 Win.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always wanted one since I was in HS and got to carry my buddys Marlin. Loved it and have always had a thing for lever actions but I still haven't bought one in 20+ years. Seems there is always another toy I want first. Don't push trees and sloughs like back in the day so not sure how much use I'd have for one.

Another fun one I got to carry for a day way back then, was a friends grandfathers Winchester 25-20. Never did shoot a deer with it but did plug a jack rabbit just to shoot it. His grandfather killed his deer with it every year.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just seems like it is on par with the 30-06, everyone should have one at their disposal. For no particular reason.

I have neither and am unsure how I feel about that.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had an old Stevens 30-30 for 2 years when I was a kid. I paid $ 35 bucks of hard earned cash for that no good piece of junk. I don't even remember what I did with it but I'll never forget that huge buck standing broadside at 100 yards and the click of a frozen firing pin the last time I used it. Now, I'm wondering what I ever did with it but to be honest, I really don't even care.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got my start deer with a 30-30, still have a pre 64 and a Wells Fargo Commemorative

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a Winchester 94 that was made in 1949 about 10 years ago because I thought they were cool. Shot about 1/2 a box of shells through it and it's been sitting in the back of the safe ever since. I take it out about once a year to fondle it. Cool old gun and increasing in value.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I walked in to our local sport shop one day and they had a beat up old bolt action Steven's. The extractor was missing and the last owner must have used it as a pogo stick in a gravel pit. I have never seen a muzzle that abused. It was marked $ 199. I told them throw in a set of RCBS dies and I'll give you $150. So off I go with my first 30-30.
I found an extractor and extra magazine online. I cut a 1/4 inch off the barrel and recrowned. I drilled and tapped a single hole in the reciever and mounted a short mount with one locktite screw and epoxy under the mount. I mounted a small cheap red dot on it and even though the bolt feels like it runs through a corrugated culvert the bullets surprisingly stay in 2.5 inches at 100 yards. I suspect the limitation is my eyes and not the gun.
The nice thing about the magazine not being tubular is that you can load pointy high ballistic coefficient bullets in it. One grandson used it to shoot a doe in youth season. I loaded 130g bullets at 2700 fps.

Last edited:

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started using my old Marlin again when lever evolution ammo came out - I figured I could start stretching it’s range. As much as I like the gun, like many of you it’s worked it’s way to the back of the safe. That needs to change.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I walked in to our local sport shop one day and they had a beat up old bolt action Steven's. The extractor was missing and the last owner must have used it as a pogo stick in a gravel pit. I have never seen a muzzle that abused. It was marked $ 199. I told them throw in a set of RCBS dies and I'll give you $150. So off I go with my first 30-30.
I found an extractor and extra magazine online. I cut a 1/4 inch off the barrel and recrowned. I drilled and tapped a single hole in the reciever and mounted a short mount with one locktite screw and epoxy under the mount. I mounted a small cheap red dot on it and even though the bolt feels like it runs through a corrugated culvert the bullets surprisingly stay in 2.5 inches at 100 yards. I suspect the limitation is my eyes and not the gun.
The nice thing about the magazine not being tubular is that you can load pointy high ballistic coefficient bullets in it. One grandson used it to shoot a doe in youth season. I loaded 130g bullets at 2700 fps.

Does it feed ok ? I still have a few dented 30-30 shells , I don't know why I save stuff like that. When I think about it , I'm surprised I didn't use them .

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got dads gun when I first started to shoot older per 64, which I hated wanted better gun with scope to shoot further. Have few other collectables.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never owned a lever 30-30. I do want to add one though. I have been buying up lever .22's to give to grandkids whenever that happens.
Winchester brought out a new lever action 22 called the Ranger. Somewhat reasonable in price.
1710524388261.png

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88