401 k

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have watched several people micromanage there 401k right into the ground. have had pretty good luck paying a guy to manage it as i don't know shat about investing money.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm unsure what you're looking at or which funds you might've selected to deposit money into. I was up 20.4% in 2021 and have only declined $3,800 for the month of January 2022. I'll make that up in February and won't worry about looking back.

I have about the same amount of losses with the cash I'm playing with in my own stock market account, however yesterday and today have almost made those losses up. Corrections and slight bear markets are hard to look at, but just know they recover very quickly.

With those kind of number's you must play in game all by yourself. I have Edwards and Allerus and no where near those numbers. Very nice.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those of you that had lower returns last year likely are closer to retirement or just have more conservative portfolios in general. For younger people in their 20's and 30's with a mostly stock portfolio a 15-20% gain for 2021 was very doable without any active management. 401k isn't something that should be actively managed anyways, set it and forget it and occasionally rebalance if things get too lopsided toward one asset class. Just make sure you are always contributing enough for company match and be aware of expense ratios when picking funds. Generally look for low cost ETF's from places like Vanguard and Fidelity.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those of you that had lower returns last year likely are closer to retirement or just have more conservative portfolios in general. For younger people in their 20's and 30's with a mostly stock portfolio a 15-20% gain for 2021 was very doable without any active management. 401k isn't something that should be actively managed anyways, set it and forget it and occasionally rebalance if things get too lopsided toward one asset class. Just make sure you are always contributing enough for company match and be aware of expense ratios when picking funds. Generally look for low cost ETF's from places like Vanguard and Fidelity.

I like to #### around and find out with my 401K.

I've lost a bunch of $$$, but it was a great learning experience.

Nobody can ever take that education away from me. : )

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to #### around and find out with my 401K.

I've lost a bunch of $$$, but it was a great learning experience.

Nobody can ever take that education away from me. : )
Reminds me of that time I decided the big guy harassing my girlfriend needed to hear from me, and knocked me the fuck out. Cant get those great learning experiences from a book.

Last edited:

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
With those kind of number's you must play in game all by yourself. I have Edwards and Allerus and no where near those numbers. Very nice.

I took the Vanguard accounts my 401k that I could choose from my employer and took the list to my broker and I let him pick which accounts and how much weight each chosen account would be invested in. Went back to work the next day and input the data into the forms. I didn't do much but act as the messenger. I wouldn't know any better so why not let the big hitter take the bat?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I took the Vanguard accounts my 401k that I could choose from my employer and took the list to my broker and I let him pick which accounts and how much weight each chosen account would be invested in. Went back to work the next day and input the data into the forms. I didn't do much but act as the messenger. I wouldn't know any better so why not let the big hitter take the bat?

I find it odd that a broker would advise you on what investment choices and %'s with your monies he/she can't/doesn't have the ability to watch your account.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The best investments I ever made have been dollars spent on hunting trips with my kids or buddies. Never had a greater return on anything than the memories I made on that money.

So with that mindset…I will keep hunting and cashing in on great memories with the knowledge that whatever is invested elsewhere (crypto, 401K, coffee can savings, etc.) will almost certainly be worth jack shit by the time I turn 75 in 32 more years.

If I’m wrong on that and should have bought a bunch of virtual land or some other nonsense, hopefully my kids at least know I tried to do what I thought was best for them.

Oh, a lot of the beer I’ve purchased over the years turned out to be pretty good investments too…I ended up getting a great wife and three kids outta the deal. :)

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hurt Zuckerberg more though. He was down 28 billion.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find it odd that a broker would advise you on what investment choices and %'s with your monies he/she can't/doesn't have the ability to watch your account.

Most will help to add some goodwill to the relationship. Legislation has made it trickier to provide "advise" on certain things like that though.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Over the years with all the people i worked for never did get a bunch put into 401. A number of years ago i moved and took what i did have out and put into an IRA when the market was around 18000. And then a few less years ago again took what i had when the market was around 28000 and put into CD.

I am sure that has been costly for me.

Still had some with my last employer (8 years) which has done better than CDs these last years. This past year was my best year with a 19% gain for $10,000. Called and told them to send me the check for all. Will put into an IRA at .8%. Dropped $2000 so far waiting on the paper work.
I hate to think of the 1000 I have loss.

However, income from SS and some Army covers are needs and if nothing major happens i guess the kids loss out. Only worry now is to get it transfer to them before something happens to us. db

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
Luckily i've been rather fortunate with my companies 401K. When they offered a good deal to have a 3rd party manage my account i jumped on it, and haven't looked back. Most years i've had returns of >20%, with the exception of 2020 at 16% and 2021 at 17%. Currently it looks like i'm down about 5% so far this year, but it almost always starts the new year off poorly.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Luckily the market always out performs in the long run. It's hard on people looking to retire in the near term, which is probably most of you :;: but for those that can wait should be fine.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member

If your investment broker is only 'that', then find a better broker. Mine is fine with me focusing on what I need to retire comfortably. Just because he doesn't have access to those funds, where these go through Vanguard, doesn't mean he has to withhold information. He's both a friend, and a broker, and wants me to succeed on my own as much as the funds I have invested with him.

What I also like about the guy is that we meet face-to-face twice per year to review everything and validate how much closer I am to my monthly income goal at retirement.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reminds me of that time I decided the big guy harassing my girlfriend needed to hear from me, and knocked me the fuck out. Cant get those great learning experiences from a book.

I would like to know if this is a true story. Fighting is way less intriguing when you are the thrashed vs the thrasher.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to know if this is a true story. Fighting is way less intriguing when you are the thrashed vs the thrasher.
Walking the beach on the 4th of July 1989 in Detroit lakes MN, big guy starts chatting up my woman at the time, he has a Austrian accent. So I walk over where him and his buddy are standing and in my drunken state decide to do my SNL "This is Hans, and this is Frans" routine, and next thing I know I am slowly getting off the ground as the guy to my right had knocked me in the side of the head, and down I went. My elbow was in worse shape than my face as it hit the concrete pretty hard on the way down... Would probably kill me if it happened today, and I am old and brittle these days, but I likely wouldn't fall to easily either, being double the size now.

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Up Y'oars, I have done the same with my 401K accounts and my broker has been helping me allocate my monies. He has been a big help with my 401K and when we meet twice a year, he always looks and makes suggestions without any problem. Dirty, I like what you are doing, the memories are more valuable than any amount of money. I'm just getting to the second stage of the memories as I have 2 young(3 and 4) grandsons who are now the focal point of most of my free time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 42
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14