6 by 6 very neat

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder how one of those would do going through cattails full of snow? To me, that would be the ultimate test of a "drive anywhere" rig. Some of those good perch ponds have quite the ring of cattails around them. (Grin)

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ice would have to be 2 foot thick to support the weight. LB

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even better is old military 6 x 6 we used in oil field doing seismograph work stomping plugs driving all over badlands in Montana and North Dakota and everywhere we needed.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
People have said the Argo 8wheeler is unstoppable, I have been with when that was proven wrong and recovery was a chore. That being said putting the belt tracks on did make it as near unstoppable as you get but you had to be aware of the strain it puts on the driveline, you really need to have your tire pressures set correct and want water or snow to get in there to cause a small about of slippage.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's the horrifying aspect of such machines.... who/what is gonna extract your a$$ when you do fail??

Basically have to travel in pairs/groups.
Right, it's one thing to take such a toy out to Devils Lake in the winter, but these guys are going to use it to go invade Santa's home area. That would really suck to get halfway there and lose one due to mechanical issues.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The closest thing to "unstoppable" I've seen was that russian big tire job that floats and can bog run like nobodies business over flooded willows, cattails, and deep azz snow. That said, what a money pit that thing would be. I'll just stick to my tracked 4 wheeler or my own two feet.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tucker snow cats are about as close to unstoppable in deep snow as they come, and they are lightweight .

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's the horrifying aspect of such machines.... who/what is gonna extract your a$$ when you do fail??

One of our crowning achievements was getting a Kubota SxS Diesel with Mattracks (the old style) out of the backwoods of MN through about bumper deep snow. For one that thing was heavy and gutless then with that deep of snow being sunk in needing to get uphill, had to winch ourselves slowly from tree to tree to get out. Between ATV's and 3/4 loaded surveyor trucks I became very good at vehicle recovery in different situations. Thinking about all those times I don't miss that job. When $h!ty jobs are so nasty they almost become fun to a person it might be time to go to the head doctor.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Couple yrs ago when I was the only one I new with a tracked wheeler, I decided against going way back in the sticks to a couple sloughs fishing because if something happened, it was gonna be there until spring.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84