A rotational slump

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stuff like this never happened until people started drinking white claws and shit like that. God is angry now.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL, that was funny.

On a serious note, we see a lot of slumps in ND. There were some that closed Highway 22 down by the Lost Bridge in the 2010's (I forget which exact years but I vaguely remember it happening twice), we have River Road here in Bismarck that is problematic, Univ of Mary hill is falling down into Apple Creek, a neighborhood (ok, a few houses) are slowly but surely falling into Hay Creek in northern Bismarck. Last time I was out elk hunting in the Badlands (2011), I ran into several major slumps where trying to stay on trail when the trees are all at 60 degrees was a real bitch (maybe along Frank's creek?), and I don't remember the exact location but back in the 90's there was a major slump/land slide up NW(?) of Grand Forks. We even have a decent sized one on our land by New Town.

Yeah, we aren't as stable as a person is often led to believe. Most often it is because of water, but sometimes it is human caused, and even then water usually plays a significant role.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
OIP.g7xsFNP57x96LsAGJS_fDwHaHz

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suppose the shrink-swell nature of clays and it being so dry (less soil cohesion) catalyzed the slumping. Here's some more info: https://www.ndsu.edu/fargo_geology/mass_wasting/slumptypes.htm

Yes, clay soils have a tendency to develop cracks when they dry out. So the next time you get a big rain, the water which often runs off, runs down into the cracks instead. This sudden introduction of water at depth can really affect the shear strength of soils and allows for rapid development of failures.

And as the link suggests, developers are OFTEN the cause of slumps in ND. Flatten a hilltop by pushing the crest over onto the side of the hill to give as much flat ground for new homes is a big cause of failure in ND. Then you add the weight of homes, landscaping, and over-watering of a lawn and you are essentially pushing the hillside down slope. I am pretty sure this is the cause of the problem at most of the slumps around Bismarck. How/why developers don't get their feet held to the fire on stuff like this is beyond comprehension when a fairly simple geologic assessment would help prevent such expensive problems.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
it's been my observation that developers are akin to politicians - they rarely if ever end up on the losing side of screwups

that's our job (the taxpayers)

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always thought the Holiday Inn parking lot in north Bismarck was a bad design. One day I have a feeling there is gonna be a whole parking lot full of cars in the creek below.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always thought the Holiday Inn parking lot in north Bismarck was a bad design. One day I have a feeling there is gonna be a whole parking lot full of cars in the creek below.

Lol I think the same thing when I go by.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 208
  • This month: 182
  • This month: 164
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 90