Above ground pool issues

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there any knowledge or experience on an above ground pool? I'm new too pool ownership but have done a fair amount of research. I'm attempting to vacuum the bottom of my pool with a Shark vacuum. I have the pool full of water, pump runs well, filter has new sand...My problem is when I plug my vacuum into the skimmer it will operate for about 2 minutes then lose suction. The pump seems to airlock. I don't see any leaks in the plumbing where it could be sucking air. Any suggestion?

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
check your sand filter?? Your filter could be plugged already!! With all the cotton and seeds flying rite now it does not take long for filters to plug!! as in overnight in some cases.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you making sure the hose is completely full of water(no air) before you hook it to the pump?

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive backwashed the sand filter probably 10 times in the past 3 days. Filter in the pump is clean, skimmer is clean. Ive made sure the hose on the vacuum is completely full of water via the jet before I hook it up. No big leaves or anything in the pool, just dirt/silt on the bottom.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you mean via the jet? Take one end of the hose to the bottom then slowly pull the rest from that end to the other so there is no chance of air.

How does your vaccine hook to the system? Do you remove a skimmer basket?

Is the return only jets? Are there any valve shut offs?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
shark-upright-vacuums-hv301-64_1000.jpg

I have one and didn't know it was water friendly? Guess I should have read the manual???

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i fixed my above ground pool problems by wadding it up and firing it in the dumpster. One huge big pain in the ass and i dont even like swimming

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
a. you can see the pump pulling water into the skimmer - correct? then that portion works
b. my vac hooked up to the skimmer -- as long as the seal was not broken and like you said water was in the hose then it sucked the water into the pipe - without the vac on it -- does the the end of the hose suck water?
c. if the end of the hose sucks water then its go to be in the vac ---its either the vac, the hose or the skimmer that is the issue - at lease that was the case on mine. Many times were leaves stuck up the pip or vac and it didnt work.

I agree with kurt -- except it was fun times --- just a pita

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get the vac hose full of water by putting it up to the jet first. There's a "cap" that goes over the skimmer then the vacuum hose plugs into that. I agree the vac hose could have a small leak and thats whats sucking in air.

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get the vac hose full of water by putting it up to the jet first. There's a "cap" that goes over the skimmer then the vacuum hose plugs into that. I agree the vac hose could have a small leak and thats whats sucking in air.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
get rid of the skimmer cap and pull the basket and put hose right into the bottom of the skimmer. I worked for a pool company for over 10 years and keeping a seal on that cap is often the problem.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
We love ours. Once i get the chemical balanced, it practically takes care of itself other than changing filters and vacuuming every week or two.

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
get rid of the skimmer cap and pull the basket and put hose right into the bottom of the skimmer. I worked for a pool company for over 10 years and keeping a seal on that cap is often the problem.
I tried it that way a half dozen times, still the same issue.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member

I agree!

Try like I said earlier submerg one end of the hose and then work your way to the other end pulling it under. If your just holding it up to the jet its likely holding air pockets.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
i fixed my above ground pool problems by wadding it up and firing it in the dumpster. One huge big pain in the ass and i dont even like swimming

KAAAAPPPOOOWWW! What he said! What a cluster! And the worst part about it was as soon as the novelty wore off the kids acted like they were being punished when I said, "Either you use it or I'm gonna get rid of it". What a waste of time, money, and water....

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
can you throttle the valve back to pull more from skimmer?? Not sure how these above work, but in ground if you are using circ. pump to vac. you need to throttle back to create pressure.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84