Advice Fox Red Labs

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody have any suggestions for a reputable Fox Red Lab breeder? Needs to have track record of good temperment and decent hunting background.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody have any suggestions for a reputable Fox Red Lab breeder? Needs to have track record of good temperment and decent hunting background.
While color should be the last factor in picking a dog. I know of some darker color yellows just depends on what your willing to spend and how far to travel.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
While color should be the last factor in picking a dog. I know of some darker color yellows just depends on what your willing to spend and how far to travel.
I get that on color but its what the wife wants.... honestly id prefer a regular yellow or black....

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope.
Yellow/black/chocolate are the only Labs.
Fox red is just a dark yellow, just like ivory is a light yellow. It’s not like the dilute gene that makes a grey or charcoal variation.

That being said, my male comes from Grove British Labs out of inver grove heights MN. He’s 9 and has been a great dog, both hunting and in our house.
D802F25F-C133-4B32-9064-573AD2E7B7C7.jpeg

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing I’ve noticed with fox reds are that their undercoat seems to be very thin. Undercoat thickness must be on the same gene as a lighter color variation.

My red dog gets cold very easy and we have to wear a neoprene vest in the cold water. My chocolate shed like a freaking grizzly bear and could hunt for 6 days in a snowstorm. Crazy how different they are.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Male... not sure own budget i'm assuming something decent will be 1000+
Probably 1200-1500 depending on pedigree but it’s a buyers market there are some litters that would have been 3000 plus a few years ago going for 1800. We’re talking most the time regular people would not even get a chance at these dogs.

Fishinfool

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I'm not a reputable Fox Red Lab breeder but I do have a dark red lab female that I'm going to try and get a litter of pups out of because she's the best lab I've ever had for a hunting partner. She's great with my kids. She is an awesome hunter and I've found a very good partner for her who's also a good hunter and dark red. If you're interested I could let you know if it works out. Typically she goes into heat end of January/early Feb.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_20221008_131957.jpg
trig is a British lab out of kt British labs in elbow lake MN
She started in Sept 1 following me around behind my black lab in Montana by pheasant season hunting her solo very bidable little dog made fall alot of fun waited for a year for a black female ended up with yellow and happy i got a yellow. I have a friend out of international falls that has 2 red labs and there hair is different from a black or yellow

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88